PDA

View Full Version : commercial fertilizing

skrats
10-02-2002, 11:45 PM
can you guys lead me in the right direction
i have been cutting for four years and next spring i would like to add fertilizing to my area of expertise. Most of the lawns i cut are fertilized by a company so i have no prob in undercutting to earn the biz with the customers.
But i need to know what i need to get in terms of license etc. and how to get this.
i would be using a 52' ferris z is there a good add on for this mower to be useful

thoughts
appreciated

LonghornShortgrass
10-03-2002, 12:03 AM
Go to http://www.lesco.com and contact your local service center. They will gladly help you with any question. :alien:

greenman
10-03-2002, 12:10 AM
I dont agree with the undercutting part, though.

tremor
10-03-2002, 06:32 AM
Hello Skrats,

Here's the commercial license info:

http://www.isco.purdue.edu/index_pest1.htm

No about the "undercutting" thing.....Don't.
You won't be starting out buing anywhere near the same volume of materials as the "other guy". So your operating expenses are going to be higher no matter what.

Since you're on the properties every week, you can actually do a better job. Having eyes on the turf every week makes a big difference. Explain to the clients why you'll be able to offer them a superior service while assuring them that you must also get paid for it. Getting the business for MORE money will really be a win.

Also, the need for post emergant herbicides (dandelions, clover, etc) is at it's highest just as the mowing get's going. The more the mowing demands of your time, the more the phone rings for weeds. Will you have the resorces to deal with it?
And will "under cutting" really pay for those resources? Wait for the mowing to relax & you won't be able to control the weeds. The clients may have a smaller bill to pay. But will they pay at all when the result is poor?

A new business venture should (and very well can) be more profitable than what you're doing now. Position your business from that perspective right from the start. If you don't, changing it later will be quite difficult.

Now that I've played Devil's Advocate, who else has ideas?

Steve

Shady Brook
10-03-2002, 07:08 AM
Call Drew Martin at the State Chemists office @ 765-494-1594, he is super nice and has all the info you will need.

Jay

MPhillips
10-03-2002, 12:17 PM
Hopefully you won't have to undercut to get business from your cutting customers though...

Randy Scott
10-03-2002, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by skrats
Most of the lawns i cut are fertilized by a company so i have no prob in undercutting to earn the biz with the customers.
[/B]

What goes around comes around!

Runner
10-04-2002, 10:32 AM
If youare even conSIDering the chemical business, you better realize that you you ned three basic and important elements. Education, education, and education. Then come the others. knowledge and experience. It's nothing you can just dive into without knowing a broad perspective of first. Read as much as you can, get with people who do it, and get educated on it.Even AFTER you are doing it, alot more of the learning is going to take place.

ksimpson
10-04-2002, 02:29 PM
Think twice about undercutting. Fertilizers and chemicals are expensive. The business that I am in is working for a property developement company. I only maintain buildings that we own. So I don't have to worry about outside contractors.You are on site weekly at your props, so that will be a plus. Having no callbacks is the key to broadleaf control. Call the state chemists office. Thay are helpful. I use Millenium mixed with Gallery. I have had great success. As for an attachment to your mower, JRCO Inc. out of Minnesota--1-800-966-8442 sells an electric spreader that can hook on to the front of the frame. It has saved me time and manpower. I would recommend this attachment to anybody.
Good luck.

bubble boy
10-06-2002, 04:27 AM
whats with the undercutting theme on LS lately???

does anyone care about costs and margins anymore...:eek: