PDA

View Full Version : Where do you put grass clippings and tree trimmings?

CommercialSnow
04-23-2011, 11:13 AM
We have a pile starting and Im planning on throwing something(don't know what) on them to help it compost. However, Id rather just get rid of them for cheap. Hoping to see the variety of options on where to get rid of these grass clippings and tree branches..

ALC-GregH
04-23-2011, 11:18 AM
land fill, farmers property, burn pile at your buddies place. It depends. I have multiple places to dump for free outside of going to the landfill which is only $5 a load. I can usually take my pick to whichever is closest to the job and dump it there. Can you burn it?

JB1
04-23-2011, 11:31 AM
we have plenty of sink holes and ditches around.

sureg1
04-23-2011, 01:14 PM
I used a local mulch company. They charge ten bucks for a truck and trailer full of whatever (limbs, grass, leaves, stumps or any yard related item). They of course chip it up and use for mulch in the future, but at least I know its being reused. There are several locations in my area. Check out the yellow pages and call around.

metro36
04-23-2011, 03:31 PM
Around me it is very expensive to get rid of debris. I pay $5 per yard to dump. Its the same price for everything. The guy composts the grass and leaves, and he chips any brush for mulch.

weeze
04-23-2011, 04:15 PM
i don't bag but i burn tree limbs and shrub limbs etc. in my backyard...i live outside city limits so it's legal...inside city limits it's illegal to burn in your yard...if your customer is inside city limits you can leave the limbs or grass or whatever by the road and the city will pick it up...i guess that varies depending on where you live.

Dr.NewEarth
04-23-2011, 04:37 PM
You have a pile?
Do you have an old trailer you can dedicate to dump loads?
If it doesn't dump, put a big tarp on the floor and
when it's full, tow it to the dump.

Organize it so that you leave the branches out until you go to the dump and put them on top. That way it's easier to remove them.

Big branches I make into fire wood for my home.

I also live on a farm where I can dump leaves and whatever if I want, and I usually do.
If I have to use a dump, there is a transfer station 2 clicks from here. It costs
$75 a metric tonne....that works out to twenty some-thing bucks for a truck and trailer load of debris usually.

If it's leaves, I just spread them around the property. I try to use them to choke out the blackberries so I don't have to use pesticides at home.

poncho62
04-23-2011, 04:46 PM
I till my leaves into the garden, but I dont have a whole lot

FuturePilot4u
04-30-2011, 08:15 PM
i just go fast on the highway and let them be sombody elses problem...

Florida Gardener
04-30-2011, 08:31 PM
Down here the waste company picks up all debris weekly so I leave it curbside...there are some developments that you have to take away but I'm not in those hoods yet.
Posted via Mobile Device

XLS
04-30-2011, 08:49 PM
if your not in a area of cheap dumping you can consider with a small 2 cycle tiller (mantis type) and a bag of 32-0-0 Nitrogen you can have usable compost in 4 weeks tops. we use alot of fertilize to compost you pile it up then toss a small handfull on your load and water it as with any compost and it allos composting of piles that have little or no green or brown materials it balances it out and works . as for the limbs we cut it into small fire wood to resale and a cheap pickup price
as for the twigs ... Barbaque pit and the family can have fun with them.

topsites
04-30-2011, 09:32 PM
Like the other fellow I take it to a Mulch yard, ours is $10-$30 a load depending mostly on certain moods,
but before I head out that way I try and get a mulch job so I can pick that up for the way back so I don't make empty trips.

Byerley
05-01-2011, 12:18 AM
Around here any wood that I have I take to the paper mill for free. Grass that I had to bag I dump for $9.00 a truck load

XLS
05-01-2011, 05:03 PM
another option for grass is if its long you can take it and store it and use it after it dries as a ground cover ,mulch ... some of our locations use it in place of pine straw on site it looks good that way

NPMinc
05-01-2011, 07:54 PM
I dump my leaves and grass in a wooded gully on my property. As far as branches etc the good stuff gets seasoned for firewood, the pine and limbs get piled up for my at least monthy bonfire/beerfest lol

TJSTONE
05-03-2011, 01:12 AM
I have gardeners that use it to supress weeds between rows over 2-3 pages of news paper. Compost some on my property and I wonder if I couldn't sell it in the spring. Compost sells for around $30 a yard.

topsites
05-03-2011, 06:41 AM
We have a pile starting and Im planning on throwing something(don't know what) on them to help it compost. However, Id rather just get rid of them for cheap. Hoping to see the variety of options on where to get rid of these grass clippings and tree branches..

Man...
After years of working on just such a pile, I'm finding out critters like to use that pile for a house,
fellows such as raccoons, mice, possums and the like, these creatures then like to pay regular visits
to their surrounding areas (such as our house) and they are actually quite harmless, some might attack
if cornered but overall they're not aggressive, most are nocturnal and appear to mind their own business,
however they are also not necessarily afraid of you so if you are thinking of making such a pile, consider
these creatures to start showing up among your new-found friends list.

Not so much leaves and grass, I don't suppose...
But once sticks and branches take hold.

gasracer
05-03-2011, 10:25 AM
Our local government has a city owned compost place that you can take brush and leaves.They grind it up and sale it pretty cheap.The city only picks up brush at the curb 2 times a year.

BestImpressions99
05-03-2011, 11:35 AM
Usually with clients that require bagging they have been doing it for some time and may already have a pile for grass clippings. Our few that used to bag (now everyone is straight mowing, no bagging, no mulching) already had piles. If you know it used to be bagged just ask them.

I'd honestly make sure I'm charging for the transport of the clippings as well.

Local land fill is the best option. You may have to pay though... which will reflect in the customer price.

underESTIMATED
05-03-2011, 06:12 PM
i just go fast on the highway and let them be sombody elses problem...

I was wondering where the access debris kept coming from...

rcslawncare
05-03-2011, 11:43 PM
I have a dump location to dump yard waste free of charge. My landscape place wants $8 a cubic yard for lawn debris..

james3374
05-04-2011, 11:04 AM
In Eugene, Oregon, we have two large companies that make "forest products" and will make mulch and compost out of organic debris. Between the two companies, we have three sites to dump at for $2.50 per visit.