PDA

View Full Version : Mulching Leaves vs Hauling Away

JDiepstra
04-23-2011, 01:41 PM
Hey guys. Who does what? When I first started out I mulched some leaves and took a lot away as well. I didn't realize how many leaves could actually be mulched into a lawn. Last season I mulched every leaf on every lawn that I had. It was a huge time and money saver. OK that's not totally true. I did blow some into a customers woods, but they told me that was fine.

JB1
04-23-2011, 01:45 PM
mulching is all we do now, use to haul them away, not any more.

ashgrove landscaping
04-23-2011, 04:01 PM
I mulch as many as I can and blow the rest into the woods. My goal is to never touch a rake or tarp but I usually have to for one section of one place. Tons of pine needles on the gravel driveway and lawn.

sdk1959
04-24-2011, 02:01 AM
Hey guys. Who does what? When I first started out I mulched some leaves and took a lot away as well. I didn't realize how many leaves could actually be mulched into a lawn. Last season I mulched every leaf on every lawn that I had. It was a huge time and money saver. OK that's not totally true. I did blow some into a customers woods, but they told me that was fine.

Mulching leaves really is the way to go, and if you live in the northeast and do heavily wooded lots you have to mulch them over several visits.

Many on here can't seem to wrap their mind around that concept, they think you just wait till the end of the fall season and mulch the leaves all at once.

Hauling away the leaves- All that equipment needed, manpower, outfitting all the helpers with blowers, dump fees, etc. Plus the yard looks like crap till the end of the season when all the leaves are finally collected.

knox gsl
04-24-2011, 02:06 AM
I'm a mulcher, only one property that I haul about half the leaves out.

Sammy
04-24-2011, 12:15 PM
Mulch 'em and blow into woods.

topsites
04-24-2011, 12:55 PM
I still don't see how folks can mulch the kind of leaves I'm talking about, maybe a light layer but
even if you made pixels out of my leaves you'd still have a layer several inches thick and there ain't
no way you can hide that in the grass but I do agree that hauling is the most expensive option.

The way I like to do it is create a compost pile someplace, which also serves us well for hedge clippings, branches and things.

dgw
04-24-2011, 12:58 PM
I still don't see how folks can mulch the kind of leaves I'm talking about, maybe a light layer but
even if you made pixels out of my leaves you'd still have a layer several inches thick and there ain't
no way you can hide that in the grass but I do agree that hauling is the most expensive option.

The way I like to do it is create a compost pile someplace, which also serves us well for hedge clippings, branches and things.

agreed....

93Chevy
04-24-2011, 01:08 PM
I mulched one yard once and it looked terrible...you could still see leaf crumblies all over the place. I'm talking three large maples weekly dropping inches of leaves on a 1/3 acre lot. I just bag with the mower.

You can mulch lawns with little trees weekly and that should be fine, but I've yet to see a lawn with many tall, old trees look this good after mulching:

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/74451_529107548582_151101669_31151068_780440_n.jpg

JB1
04-24-2011, 02:42 PM
yeah, I've heard it before , nobody has as many trees as you and you only do the best.

93Chevy
04-24-2011, 02:44 PM
yeah, I've heard it before , nobody has as many trees as you and you only do the best.

No, all I said was I haven't seen a mulch kit totally obliterate leaves like bagging.

dgw
04-24-2011, 02:45 PM
I mulched one yard once and it looked terrible...you could still see leaf crumblies all over the place. I'm talking three large maples weekly dropping inches of leaves on a 1/3 acre lot. I just bag with the mower.

You can mulch lawns with little trees weekly and that should be fine, but I've yet to see a lawn with many tall, old trees look this good after mulching:

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/74451_529107548582_151101669_31151068_780440_n.jpg

yea, and ive tried to mulch a thick layer of wet sugar maple leafs

oh boy:laugh:

ALC-GregH
04-24-2011, 02:46 PM
Here we go again. It's not possible to mulch the leaves that a place like this will produce in a single season. First pic is a summer pic, second is after a month of dropping. I have to clean it up every other week just to keep up with it. The first 2 weeks of leaf fall I'll mulch but going into the 3rd week becomes over whelming and I have to go to bagging.
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/americanlawncare/CIMG0491.jpg
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/americanlawncare/CIMG0091-1.jpg

Darryl G
04-24-2011, 02:46 PM
I mulch them before I haul them away.

93Chevy
04-24-2011, 02:48 PM
Oh come on Greg, I could mulch those with a 21" and be done in 5 minutes and the lawn would look perfect!!

ALC-GregH
04-24-2011, 02:48 PM
Yes, I was plowing leaves with the mower in the second pic. There's just no way to mulch that amount of leaves.

dgw
04-24-2011, 02:50 PM
maybe a light coating of dry pin oak leafs , but thats all i will attempt to mulch

C6H12O6
04-24-2011, 02:50 PM
If I can still see the tips of the grass through the leaf layer I will try to mulch, but anything more I usually bag or just rake smaller areas. I don't have to worry about dump fees right now so that helps. And not mulching huge amounts of leaves into the grass is better for it anyway because the thatch layer can only get so thick before it is detrimental. Of course that depends on a lot of factors too, I just like to keep the thatch near the lower limit if possible.

ALC-GregH
04-24-2011, 02:53 PM
When I say, no way, I mean no way to mulch and leave all the chopped up leaves behind. I bag all of that up. It takes me longer to get off the mower to empty the bags then it does to actually chop them up and fill them! The end result, I can load 5 times the amount of leaves in one load then if I don't chop them up and bag them. It takes longer and the customer feels they are getting off cheap since the other provider was raping them (<in his own words). I get a rough amount of $2200 to clean them up over the course of a month and a half.

dgw
04-24-2011, 02:57 PM
When I say, no way, I mean no way to mulch and leave all the chopped up leaves behind. I bag all of that up. It takes me longer to get off the mower to empty the bags then it does to actually chop them up and fill them! The end result, I can load 5 times the amount of leaves in one load then if I don't chop them up and bag them. It takes longer and the customer feels they are getting off cheap since the other provider was raping them (<in his own words). I get a rough amount of $2200 to clean them up over the course of a month and a half.

i will sometimes mow in a circle with my gravely and make a pile of shredded leaves in the middle

it cuts the amount way down

BrunoT
04-24-2011, 03:11 PM
agreed....

Leaves don't all fall in a week. If you are going to mulch you have to do it right.

The key to mulching is to get out there weekly or every two weeks at least as they fall and run over them with a GOOD mulching mower (many aren't). If the mower does not have excellent vacuum power to pull up leaves and nuts and pulverize them, the result will not be good. Some decks have it, some don't.

You must have a fully baffled kit installed for maximum results. The reason is that it not only yields smaller particles but it also injects them back down to the soil level where they "disappear".

At times it may require a couple of passes to get a nice look. But even that is quicker than the time it takes to vacuum them up, dump them, and dispose of them later.

It is true that mulching is not as good for large leaf "accumulations" where there is a neglected mess on your hands. But when you factor in the cost of the larger truck/trailer, loader, bagging systems, etc plus the time involved in a one-time "cleanup", you can usually get it all done with weekly visits for less money.

The bonus of regular visits is that you keep the property looking relatively "maintained" and neat rather than neglected during this period.

In the south the grass is still growing in many areas during this period (albeit slowly) so you have to be there anyway with the mower on the lawn, so why not mulch?

If you have frequent rains, hard freezes, only limited days when you can work, etc, you may not be able to pull it off. But I was finally all ready to invest in a bagging system but held off and had a surprisingly easy time of it last year just mulching. In the past I'd had a few bad ones which made me want the bagging system. But I found that simply getting out more frequently solved that problem.

I like a nice vacuumed lawn. But I wouldn't want to try to get people to pay me what I want for my time to do it. In some cases it would be nearly what they pay all year for mowing. They would just hire someone with cheaper labor to blow them and tarp them instead I suppose. I'm gonna get $60-$70/hour or stay home.

dgw
04-24-2011, 03:17 PM
sometimes you just cant keep up here

i have a 28 acre complex that is basically in the woods, when they start dropping they drop hard

especially sugar maples, and those leaves are so thick it just wouldnt work

i lot of them have a curb line threw the complex though

so i cone it off , blow them to the curb and suck them up with the trailer vac

93Chevy
04-24-2011, 04:41 PM
So after 16000 mulch vs. bagging debates, all we come up with is that we do what works for us based on customer expectations, work load, and available equipment.

Darryl G
04-24-2011, 04:46 PM
So after 16000 mulch vs. bagging debates, all we come up with is that we do what works for us based on customer expectations, work load, and available equipment.

Yeah....but....I mulch them and then bag them...the best of both worlds....does that confuse the whole issue and put us back to square one? LOL

93Chevy
04-24-2011, 04:52 PM
Yeah....but....I mulch them and then bag them...the best of both worlds....does that confuse the whole issue and put us back to square one? LOL

http://rolltidebama.com/forum/images/smilies/smiley_panic.gif

PerfectEarth
04-24-2011, 04:56 PM

Yup.

But I can't count how many yards I've been on in November and December where the Lawn Jockey has run his 60" zeroturn around (what was) the nice turf and smothered it with chopped up leaves. Torn up the grass turning, compacted the soil when it's wet, and tried to hide the results by fluffing up the grass and spreading the piles of "mulched leaves" around with a blower.

It really depends on the number of trees on the property. I'd rather not suffocate the grass and vac most everything up. I've seen plenty of guys try to mulch massive mats of leaves and it's worthless, damaging, cheap, and messy. But they'll always claim it's beneficial.

Darryl G
04-24-2011, 05:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbP1tX0sE8U

ALC-GregH
04-24-2011, 06:03 PM
It boils down to the amount of leaves that will drop on a given property to whether or not they can be mulched or require removal.

Darryl, that would be the easiest and best way to go about it IF the property only had the amount of leaves shown in the video. Put the amount shown in my pic in that yard and he'd kill that little toy mower he was using. :)

Darryl G
04-24-2011, 06:21 PM
You just need Scotts winter fertilizer...that's what you're missing :p

weeze
04-24-2011, 11:17 PM
let me find the youtube videos...ah there they are...this is how to do it..you don't even have to mulch them...just cut them up until they disappear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5oHnInPaWo&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx7NdQEpJZY

the key is just keep mowing on schedule until the leaves stop falling...don't let them build up to a foot thick lol...but you can still do it if they are thick...it just takes longer and going over them more times and backing up and doing it again and again.

JDiepstra
04-25-2011, 01:46 PM

So true.....

Sorry, i did a quick search and didnt see anything. I wasn't looking for anyones opinion on what was the best way. Just wondering who does what. I impress myself every season with the amount of leaves I can mulch into a lawn. Last season I even had a picky old lady who lives on a large lot with a ton of huge trees tell me she has never seen the place look so good. I mulched it this year, and had bagged it every year previous.....

Creative Cuts
04-25-2011, 03:53 PM
I mow several yards that butt up right to a woods and are covered by inches of leaves to where u can't see the grass. i mow once with the chute blocked off to mulch, then again with the chute open to scatter them and sometimes i repeat the process until there's no more leaves. If you mow it enough the leaves will disappear and it's better for the lawn.

JDiepstra
04-27-2011, 02:06 AM
I mow several yards that butt up right to a woods and are covered by inches of leaves to where u can't see the grass. i mow once with the chute blocked off to mulch, then again with the chute open to scatter them and sometimes i repeat the process until there's no more leaves. If you mow it enough the leaves will disappear and it's better for the lawn.

Put an actual mulching kit on it and you will be amazed at how much better it is!

Big Wes
04-27-2011, 04:49 PM
I've been grinding them up for years..............Work smarter not harder!

Mark Oomkes
04-27-2011, 05:04 PM
Here we go again. It's not possible to mulch the leaves that a place like this will produce in a single season. First pic is a summer pic, second is after a month of dropping. I have to clean it up every other week just to keep up with it. The first 2 weeks of leaf fall I'll mulch but going into the 3rd week becomes over whelming and I have to go to bagging.
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/americanlawncare/CIMG0491.jpg
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/americanlawncare/CIMG0091-1.jpg

Come on, that's mulchable. You just have to be there every day and the heck with your other customers. Don't you know anything?

Yup.

But I can't count how many yards I've been on in November and December where the Lawn Jockey has run his 60" zeroturn around (what was) the nice turf and smothered it with chopped up leaves. Torn up the grass turning, compacted the soil when it's wet, and tried to hide the results by fluffing up the grass and spreading the piles of "mulched leaves" around with a blower.

It really depends on the number of trees on the property. I'd rather not suffocate the grass and vac most everything up. I've seen plenty of guys try to mulch massive mats of leaves and it's worthless, damaging, cheap, and messy. But they'll always claim it's beneficial.

P-shaw, what do you really know, all and any accounts can have leaves mulched without harming the turf.

I impress myself

Party of one.............

So let me get this straight, you mulch leaves and impress yourself without a Cummings? Is that possible?

Aaronnc
04-27-2011, 05:21 PM
I never did understand this debate. I price accordingly to both methods. In my estimates, I explain how easier and "greener" and cheaper it is to mulch, and if they insist on vac/shredding at the much higher price, I then subcontract it out to a guy I've known for years,work well with, and does nothing but debris removal. My method might not work for everyone, but for me it's in spades. If you do have the leaf equipment, why not just give the client two choices?

GMLC
04-27-2011, 05:37 PM
No mulching here. Leaves end up like 7-8 inches deep or more. I blow them into one giant pile and remove them from the property with a leaf loader.

Darryl G
04-27-2011, 10:19 PM
What I've noticed is that some of the guys who rant the must about how great mulching is have no other means of dealing with leaves. It's almost as if they're desperately trying to justify their half-ass approach. Now don't get me wrong, I think that mulching leaves has it's place. BUT, I also beleive that there are cases where mulching large amounts of leaves into a lawn is downright unprofessional and I find it hard to believe that it is the only option that some of you offer to your customers.

Duffster
04-28-2011, 11:14 AM

So let me get this straight, you mulch leaves and impress yourself without a Cummings? Is that possible?

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Maybe it is the extra protein..........

JDiepstra
04-29-2011, 01:59 AM

So let me get this straight, you mulch leaves and impress yourself without a Cummings? Is that possible?[/QUOTE]

Still a ****** lord eh Oomkes? Ya know, if your family hadn't started a business long ago, you'd be unemployed and homeless. Loser.........

sdk1959
04-29-2011, 03:20 AM
What I've noticed is that some of the guys who rant the must about how great mulching is have no other means of dealing with leaves. It's almost as if they're desperately trying to justify their half-ass approach. Now don't get me wrong, I think that mulching leaves has it's place. BUT, I also believe that there are cases where mulching large amounts of leaves into a lawn is downright unprofessional and I find it hard to believe that it is the only option that some of you offer to your customers.

The reverse is also true. The LCO's with a heavy investment in all the equipment- leaf loaders, dump trucks, large crew and backpack blowers for all think that leaf collection & removal is the only acceptable method to justify their heavy investment.

There is a misunderstanding about both methods. Most LCO's that mulch leaves only do it for their regular customers. They do not do it for the one shot people with heavily wooded lots that call at the end of season when all the leaves have fallen. By then the leaves are well beyond mulching and removal is the only option. Basically leaf mulchers just extend the cutting season by coming out to mulch a customer's leaves every 1-2 weeks depending on how early or late it is in the season.

The LCO's that collect & remove leaves in one shot at the end of the season don't understand how someone could think they could mulch in one shot all the leaves at the end of the season. They don't realize nobody does, they instead do it for their regular customers over several visits.

GMLC
04-29-2011, 10:16 AM
I have a question for those who mulch inches of leaves. Do you find a layer kind of like thatch after mulching that many leaves? I would think it would be like having a massive layer of thatch and starve the turf? I could be wrong?

ALC-GregH
04-29-2011, 10:26 AM
The reverse is also true. The LCO's with a heavy investment in all the equipment- leaf loaders, dump trucks, large crew and backpack blowers for all think that leaf collection & removal is the only acceptable method to justify their heavy investment.

There is a misunderstanding about both methods. Most LCO's that mulch leaves only do it for their regular customers. They do not do it for the one shot people with heavily wooded lots that call at the end of season when all the leaves have fallen. By then the leaves are well beyond mulching and removal is the only option. Basically leaf mulchers just extend the cutting season by coming out to mulch a customer's leaves every 1-2 weeks depending on how early or late it is in the season.

The LCO's that collect & remove leaves in one shot at the end of the season don't understand how someone could think they could mulch in one shot all the leaves at the end of the season. They don't realize nobody does, they instead do it for their regular customers over several visits.

I mulch them until they drop SO fast that you can't mulch anymore. Others that have WAY less trees around get mulched until the few trees they have are done with leaf fall. It's not that hard to figure out what and when to mulch or bag.

Mark Oomkes
04-29-2011, 10:43 AM
Still a ****** lord eh Oomkes? Ya know, if your family hadn't started a business long ago, you'd be unemployed and homeless. Loser.........

Hugs and kisses, Jdip......

Great comeback, BTW. Sticks and stones, sticks and stones

sdk1959
04-29-2011, 10:50 AM
I have a question for those who mulch inches of leaves. Do you find a layer kind of like thatch after mulching that many leaves? I would think it would be like having a massive layer of thatch and starve the turf? I could be wrong?

I have one property that I mulch that is heavily wooded and has bare and thin spots in the front yard.

After mulching there is a noticeable layer of finely mulched leaves because of the bare and thin spots of grass. For that I use a lawn sweeper to gather up the excess mulched leaves and throw it under some shrubs near the property line just 20 feet away. The customer knows and the mulched leaves decompose to compost by the following fall amending the soil and help keep the stray weeds down.

If not for the thin and bare spots of grass I would not have to do this as I mulch the leaves over 4-5 visits and no mulched leaf layer is visible in the rest of the yard.

You would have to cover the turf so that it is barely visible to really smother it. That would be far too many leaves to mulch at once if that were the case.

watsmi57
04-29-2011, 11:00 AM
i only side discharge or mulch. i usually put the mulch kit on late summer. sometimes if there are too many leaves i have to remove some first but my clients let me keep mowing until the leaves quit falling usually. i believe it's better for the grass to return the nutrients to the dirt. sometimes i have to double cut. sometimes there are lines left if there are too many leaves but the blower disperses them nicely.

JDiepstra
05-01-2011, 08:40 PM
Hugs and kisses, Jdip......

Great comeback, BTW. Sticks and stones, sticks and stones

I dont know why you always feel the need to start crap Oomkes. You never have anything useful to say. By the way, who is the old man I always see diving around in an Oomkes vehicle? Looks like he's rotting away alive.

NPMinc
05-01-2011, 09:00 PM
In most of the townships I work in as far as residentials the municipality comes around in late Nov/early Dec with vac trucks so for those jobs its just a matter of getting them within 4 feet of the curb with blowers or vacs. A few of my commercials(mostly apt complexes) want the leaves removed/hauled, but most I just mulch if I can.

twowheelted
05-01-2011, 09:13 PM
I consider myself a leaf hiding expert. Mulch 'em up and get creative. Beds with no mulch are great targets. They also disappear quite rapidly into ivy, vinca etc.
Maybe mix mulched leaves with elmers glue for awesome lawn art. Better yet fill all the mailboxes in the neighborhood, let it be your calling card.

Zak's Pro. Lawn Care
05-01-2011, 10:04 PM
i mulch back into the lawns but this past fall i did this on all of my lawns and on a few lawns there were big spots in the yard without grass growing when spring arrived. i ended up raking these areas up. there were small mulched up leaves that left some of these spots and other spots there was no mulched up leaves, just dirt. is there a way to prevent leaving spots like that and mulch the entire yard with leaves in it? also having these areas does it cause grubs, dead spots, or lawn disease?

weeze
05-01-2011, 11:26 PM
never had that problem before...i cut them up and they disappear...nothing is left...no thatch or anything...just grass...if you can still see leaves then go over it again until they are gone

Mark Oomkes
05-02-2011, 01:21 PM
I dont know why you always feel the need to start crap Oomkes. You never have anything useful to say. By the way, who is the old man I always see diving around in an Oomkes vehicle? Looks like he's rotting away alive.

Nice respect for your elders J.

Sticks and stones, keep it up. Very mature.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
05-02-2011, 02:37 PM
You are wise OP. I mulch just about everything after leaf drop in the fall, unless the leaves are so thick and matted that it leaves "leaf dust windrows" after mulching them. Then I bag.

indy2tall
05-03-2011, 11:05 PM
For those of you who think mulching of leaves is bad for the lawn you might want to check out the following study by one of the nations leading agricultural/horticultural university. http://www.agry.purdue.edu/turf/report/1999/page24.htm
The bottom line was mulching large amounts of leaves had no detrimental effect on lawn grass.
If that link doesn't work for some reason just google "purdue leaf mulching study".

Duffster
05-04-2011, 01:08 AM
. By the way, who is the old man I always see diving around in an Oomkes vehicle?

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Darryl G
05-04-2011, 08:57 AM
For those of you who think mulching of leaves is bad for the lawn you might want to check out the following study by one of the nations leading agricultural/horticultural university. http://www.agry.purdue.edu/turf/report/1999/page24.htm
The bottom line was mulching large amounts of leaves had no detrimental effect on lawn grass.
If that link doesn't work for some reason just google "purdue leaf mulching study".

ok...so it works for maple leaves. What about oak leaves, beech leaves, birch leaves, sycamore leaves, pine straw? What does running a 1000 pound mower over the lawn 20 times do?

indy2tall
05-04-2011, 09:41 AM
ok...so it works for maple leaves. What about oak leaves, beech leaves, birch leaves, sycamore leaves, pine straw? What does running a 1000 pound mower over the lawn 20 times do?

Mulching any other leaves other than maple will probably kill every single blade of grass, draw a plague of locusts and cause demons from hell to rise out of the back yard and steal the souls of all who live at the doomed leaf mulching home.

GravyTrain
05-04-2011, 09:49 AM
Mulching any other leaves other than maple will probably kill every single blade of grass, draw a plague of locusts and cause demons from hell to rise out of the back yard and steal the souls of all who live at the doomed leaf mulching home.

I'm going to mulch all my leaves just to see if that actually works.

karlgrooms
05-04-2011, 01:09 PM
I'm going to mulch all my leaves just to see if that actually works.
It works, just have to use common sense. The site has to look like freshly mowed grass. . . .and not mowed leaves. So if you see plenty of green grass when done you are good to go. Maples will pulverize to dust on a good dry Fall day. Be prepared with a dust mask and a hankie because your nose will surely tell ya.

GravyTrain
05-04-2011, 01:12 PM
It works, just have to use common sense. The site has to look like freshly mowed grass. . . .and not mowed leaves. So if you see plenty of green grass when done you are good to go. Maples will pulverize to dust on a good dry Fall day. Be prepared with a dust mask and a hankie because your nose will surely tell ya.

I appreciate the advice, although I failed to add my </sarcasm> tag. I was referring to the previous post that I responded to in regards to demons and hellfire.

32vld
05-04-2011, 02:36 PM

The thing is who only has maple trees on his property?

Then once you find those people, out of that group who has neighbors that only have maple trees so only maple leaves will blow onto their property?

That college study was not worth the paper or Epaper it was written on. Not because they lied. But when they leave out/omit the fact that this will only work with maple leaves.

JDiepstra
05-04-2011, 07:28 PM
Nice respect for your elders J.

Sticks and stones, keep it up. Very mature.

Oomkes I would like to remind you that for some reason it is you who seems to always find my posts and have something snarky to say. Im not sure why you like following me around..... anyway, all you have to do is keep your useless comments to yourself and you will find that I will not, as I have not been, make any comments to you either. Unless of course you just enjoy it, in which case, proceed, as I really dont mind your comments at all.....

JDiepstra
05-04-2011, 07:30 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

OMG I missed an r!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Darryl G
05-04-2011, 08:52 PM
Oomkes I would like to remind you that for some reason it is you who seems to always find my posts and have something snarky to say. Im not sure why you like following me around..... anyway, all you have to do is keep your useless comments to yourself and you will find that I will not, as I have not been, make any comments to you either. Unless of course you just enjoy it, in which case, proceed, as I really dont mind your comments at all.....

You can add members who annoy you to your ignore list.

JDiepstra
05-04-2011, 09:20 PM
You can add members who annoy you to your ignore list.

That's a great idea but his lameness amuses me. I just want to point out that it is always him that starts with the comments. Not sure why. There is nothing he could say that could possibly bother me.

Hey Oomkes, is that your place just South of M-6 sorta off of Hanna Lake and Wing?

Duffster
05-05-2011, 01:30 AM
OMG I missed an r!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Over your head. :rolleyes:

sdk1959
05-05-2011, 07:18 AM
The thing is who only has maple trees on his property?

Then once you find those people, out of that group who has neighbors that only have maple trees so only maple leaves will blow onto their property?

That college study was not worth the paper or Epaper it was written on. Not because they lied. But when they leave out/omit the fact that this will only work with maple leaves.

It works with all leaves not just maple leaves. That's the trees they had growing on the property at the time the college study was done on, that's the trees the study was done with. It's as simple as that.

Smallaxe
05-05-2011, 07:45 AM
It works with all leaves not just maple leaves. That's the trees they had growing on the property at the time the college study was done on, that's the trees the study was done with. It's as simple as that.

I still think its too risky to mulch Oak and Pine, and those are the majority tree debris in residential Wisco... Everybody already knew that maple leaves along with poplars, willows etc. decay almost as quickly as grass clippings...

I don't have any safe place to experiment with, on any of my properties...

indy2tall
05-05-2011, 08:49 AM
I still think its too risky to mulch Oak and Pine, and those are the majority tree debris in residential Wisco... Everybody already knew that maple leaves along with poplars, willows etc. decay almost as quickly as grass clippings...

I don't have any safe place to experiment with, on any of my properties...

Here is a link to a Michigan State study which used both maple and OAK leaves. http://archive.lib.msu.edu/tic/mitgc/article/199866b.pdf The conclusion was the same as the Purdue study, "no detrimental effect on turf grass". Our experience has been that the same holds true for any deciduous tree leaves. Our customers are quite satisfied with the results. Their lawns look fine the next year, their leaf removal costs drop about 75% and we still make a nice profit at a time when grass cutting is almost over. As for pine needles we have never had a customer ask us to rake out and remove the pine needles beneath their pine trees but we of course would NOT mulch them into the grass. I am not suggesting that everyone switch to mulching leaves. If your customers are conditioned to and don't mind paying for removal then that is fine. I am just saying if you stay on top of it you can mulch a huge amount of leaves with no ill effects on the lawn.

Darryl G
05-05-2011, 09:03 AM

The fact is that oak leaves have more woody substances, such as lignin, than the leaves from other tree species, so they take much longer to break down. They're thick too.

Mark Oomkes
05-05-2011, 09:51 AM

I'm really not feeling the love, JDip. Why you gotta be hating on me?

That's a great idea but his lameness amuses me. I just want to point out that it is always him that starts with the comments. Not sure why. There is nothing he could say that could possibly bother me.

Hey Oomkes, is that your place just South of M-6 sorta off of Hanna Lake and Wing?

You sure, because you seem to be pretty wound up.