PDA

View Full Version : customer problems

mownredneck
04-23-2011, 02:13 PM
I have two clients that Im feed up with. One said that the yard didnt need mowing, keep in mind I have already done all of my other yards 2-3 times already this year. She calls and said she may think that it has gotten out of hand. I went by there cause I knew what I was gonna find, weeds knee high and cane had started growing from the neighbors yard some 9ft tall and wants me to do it for the alotted amount I cut the yard normally for, cause she says she cant afford it. The other client, wants us to be there at a certain time when she wants us there and wants to be there when we are there. Both individuals are elderly women. Im sorry but I dont put up with people like this no matter what you do its always your fault and you can never please them and I have no time to deal with them. Would any of you put up with this?

Big C
04-23-2011, 02:31 PM
Cut your loses.....bottem line!!

Golfpro21
04-23-2011, 03:02 PM
I wouls say good bye

QualityLawnCare4u
04-23-2011, 03:27 PM
As bad as the economy is in my area, as many a dime a dozen LCO's there are here, I would have to let them go as I had one exactly like the "it don't need cutting till you need a bush hog" that I had to cut lose. Sometimes they just ain't worth the trouble and I put up with a lot of BS before I cut one.

93Chevy
04-23-2011, 04:02 PM
Sub it out to a lowballer on Craigslist

Dr.NewEarth
04-23-2011, 04:22 PM
I got out of residential at the turn of the century. Lots of games and hard to get paid from at times.
Regular routines are required to make money....none of this, "whenever I want you you will jump for me" bs.

If they only owe a hundred dollars, small claims is 125 plus tax here, and a builders lien is about 250 for the filing fee for a residential lot. It wasn't worth the problems.

I finally took on some residentials again last year, as I needed more income to pay for the business. I now accept visa and mastercard and amex.
The clients sign a contract and I charge their account at the beginning of the month.

If I take post dated checks, I also get a credit card number for security.

I realise this isn't an option for many.

Also, no matter who you have for clients: residential, commercial, hoa...you will always
have a jerk that messes you up. You're always dodging bullets so to speak

What alot of us are trying to do here, is get paid at the beginning of the month.
The time and frustration it takes to get paid at the end of the month is immense at times. I've had people hide behind curtains, and with call display they don't answer the phone.

Now if I could just get the hoa's to pay with a credit card at the beginning of the month,
then I believe there would be even less frustration.

gebby
04-23-2011, 11:34 PM
Just say dear, I know what you are saying, You can't afford me and, I can't afford you. I'm here if you want it cut fine, if not, fine. Next week it will be twice as much as today and so on.

Darryl G
04-23-2011, 11:46 PM
You have to make them understand that you're a contractor and you work under your terms....take control. If that doesn't work for them then tell them you're sorry but they will have to find someone else.

topsites
04-24-2011, 12:27 AM
Folks like that, as a rule they only call me once.

But I knock it down and make it look nice too, mostly for just about the regular price.

PLS-Tx
04-24-2011, 12:29 AM
You have to make them understand that you're a contractor and you work under your terms....take control. If that doesn't work for them then tell them you're sorry but they will have to find someone else.

This is how I would handle it.

Some people will just never get it, they think they should be able to tell you how to run YOUR business

I had a call a few weeks ago, gave the guy our monthly price told him how we do things. He said, well, that's kinda bad for business isn't it . :hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

Southern Pride
04-24-2011, 01:59 AM
Had a black lady last year. (500,000 home, brand new husqvarna riding tractor and a new jaguar in the garage)

She had me cut her personal home, her daughters home, her daycare, and her "care" home for elderly people that was vacant.

Bottom line she was terrible just like your customer was. It was 4 total accounts she got me but her daughter was even worse. She had to "get her money right" and let it get 9ft tall before calling every time. Also had to leave her 250lb rottweiler out back all day so I loved greeting him with a very loud walk behind mower.

Bottom line is you could have 100 customers, but if they're anything close to how these people are, you have a terrible terrible business. I cut them loose after a couple months. Only reason I kept them around as long as I did was I was just starting out and kind of desperate. Letting these types of people go is the best thing you can do.

Also, anyone that wants to play the racist card because I included that the lady was black can gtfo. Not being racist, just stating the facts.

Darryl G
04-24-2011, 01:21 PM
I think part of the problem is that most of us started out as employees working for someone else. So we are used to people telling us what to do, how to do it and how much we are going to get paid for it.

When you go into business for yourself, you're the boss now and you call the shots. It's up to you how you do it, when it gets done and how much to charge. Too many guys, especially when first starting out, take the subordinate role and let the customers run the show. Establish some policies and explain them to your potential customers, or better yet put it in writing, BEFORE you start working for them.

fireman gus
04-24-2011, 08:26 PM
I know the economy is bad but to keep your sanity GET RID OF THE 2 HEADACHES! They are not worth the problems they cause.

abraham
05-13-2011, 01:05 AM
never entertain a bad customer you will always lose.