PDA

View Full Version : ? about mulch kit for Gravely XDZ deck

sevensandeights
04-23-2011, 04:38 PM
I have a Gravely 152 XDZ mower and am interested in a mulch kit. This is for homeowner use and I have no interest in bagging (I would rather cut twice than bag).

There are two part numbers listed:

PN 79206400 is the 52" Mulching Kit and appears to consist of baffles and blades.

PN 79100800 is the 52" Dischage Cover and is self explanatory.

Do I need both or will the baffles be enought to keep the clippings inside. Has anyone just used the discharge cover and lift/mulch blades?

The goal is to mow the lawn every 7-10 and never have to rake piles of of grass.

BINKY1902
04-23-2011, 08:06 PM
The mulching kit comes with the internal baffles, blades, and chute blocker. Everything needed comes with the mulching kit. I have one on my 152, works very well. I would go ahead and get the mulching kit, as it encloses each blade and will do a much better job than just a chute blocker. With the chute blocker it will leave a trail of grass on the right side most likely. I think I paid 149.00 for my mulching kit. It will mulch even heavy leaves very well, and no need to bag or rake, just mulch them periodically through the fall/winter. The blades are actually worthless that come with the kit though, but the kit itself works perfectly with a gator type blade.

BINKY1902
04-23-2011, 08:07 PM
BTW I have the 79206400 on my 2010 Pro-turn 152.

sevensandeights
04-23-2011, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the reply - do you have a part number for the blades you would recommend?

Mowingman
04-23-2011, 09:21 PM
The discharge cover alone will not do the job. It will cause the mower to leave windrows of clippings on the discharge side, in all but very light mowing conditions.
For fulltime mulching, you want the kit with the baffles and blades.

sevensandeights
04-24-2011, 11:32 AM
Mowingman - if I remember correctly you used to be a Gravely dealer, right? I think your advice pushed me toward buying this machine last year so thanks again!

Did your customers have any issues with the Gravely mulch blades that come in the kit? If so, do you have any recommendations for other blades?

Mowingman
04-24-2011, 11:52 AM
Yes, I was a Gravely dealer. The mulch blades work great. I think they look kind of thin and cheap, but they do work well, and seem to last a long time. We never had any customers complain about them.

BINKY1902
04-24-2011, 12:46 PM
The problem I had with mulching blades is that they didn't have enough lift to pick up the leaves to cut them. I could drive over some leaves and they would never even lift them off the ground. They worked ok for me cutting grass, and mulching the grass, but not so good with leaves. I ended up going with an Oregon medium lift blade, the one with the elongated cutting surface, as well as a set of high lift toothed/Gator type blade. Both worked much better. The high lift toothed would pull the leaves out of the grass and cut them well. The trick is to get enough lift to pull the leaves into the deck, but not so much lift that the deck gets overloaded. I had to pull the factory mulching blades off during a mulching job and put on the Oregons, just so I could finish. Don't get me wrong, the kit is great, but the blades that came with it are worthless to me. I believe the kit comes with the thin blades because the kit also fits a Gravely homeowner machine. I ran them for around 8 hrs or so, and they really slowed me up. They are about the width of a homeowner push mower blade you see at Walmart. A blade like that will last me two weeks and the sail will be started to wear off.

Mowingman
04-24-2011, 01:04 PM
I bet the factory mulch blades would wear out quickly in sandy soil conditions.
Somewhere, I read that a Gravely owner used Gator blades with his mulch kit for leaves. I don't remember what specific machine he was using. I think he also had to grind off the "ears" a little on those Gators, so they did not hit the baffles.
I guess you just need to try the factory blades, then try others until you find what works best for your mowing conditions.

sevensandeights
04-25-2011, 02:46 PM
Thanks guys - I am going to order the kit today and try the factory blades out first.