PDA

View Full Version : Walk behind drift when sulky is hooked up

derbyd137
04-23-2011, 04:09 PM
I just picked up a fairly new but used swivel wheel sulky. WHAT THE HELL???? I can't keep this thing running in a straight line to save my ass :(( Ive never had one of these before. I like riding but I can't keep er straight. Anyone have this problem? The machine is a 2001 Bobcat Hydro. It has independent controls for each wheel with a small amount of adjustment, I can't seem to dial it in. Let me know what you think I may be doing wrong. Or should I just get rid of this sulky and resort to walking :((

ashgrove landscaping
04-23-2011, 04:27 PM
Make sure the mount for the sulky is centered maybe.

shadrach
04-23-2011, 04:46 PM
A low tire on one side would make it drift - would be more noticeable riding than walking.

derbyd137
04-23-2011, 06:04 PM
Ok, Thanks for the replys. I definately made sure the mount was centered. Great thought though. Thank you for that imput. Now, the tire preasure on the other hand I will definately have to check out. That's another good suggestion. Ok, out to the barn I go. Double check my centering and get the tire preasure correct. And go for a spin. Thanks for the great tips. Hope this works. I'll post results

Thanks
http://www.straightlinelawn.com

Roger
04-23-2011, 09:29 PM
How big is your Bobcat mower, 36", 48", or ?

Your mower may be too small, too light to handle a swivel wheeled sulky. I have an Exmark 36" hydro Viking. I bought a BullRider convertible (either a trailer, or swivel caster). I started in the swivel mode, and I had exactly the same problem you describe. The footprint was too narrow.

I had tried a Proslide, and had to get rid of it -- same issue, mower is too light, too small footprint. It "drove" the mower, rather the other way around. The ProSlide and BR in swivel mode both responded the same way. Using the BR in trailer mode works well.

derbyd137
04-23-2011, 10:01 PM
Yes the one I bought is very simular to the bull rider. I have a 48" Bobcat hydro with 14 horse Kawasaki. I got the air pressure correct the another guy suggested to no avail. I have to feather the **** out of the controls. Which of course wears out my hands. HHMM?? I dont know.

Southern Pride
04-23-2011, 10:11 PM
Yeah man if you go to proslide or the bulldrider's (your sulky) site you will read that they are not designed for a mower that is smaller than 48" OR if It's not hydro. Your mower is probably just too small and so like one guy said the sulky is driving the mower rather than the other way around. Just put it in trailer mode (no swivel) or buy a regular old 2 wheel sulky that doesn't swivel and it will fix your problem.

I have a Toro Proline 48" Hydro that I use a regular 2 wheel sulky on and I can back it up, and operate it just like you would a ztr just fine. You just have to have some skill. Takes a little practice but the sulky will stay straight and should fix your problem.

topsites
04-23-2011, 10:55 PM
I done said it many a times 2 wheel sulkies like to fishtail but folks don't want to listen.

Darryl G
04-23-2011, 11:05 PM
I run the Bullrider behind by 48 inch Turf Tracer and love it but when traversing slopes it can be a little hard to keep straight. Because it's a solid connection to the machine, your weight influences the machine more than a trailering sulky. What I do is shift my weight to the uphill side a bit by putting my leg on top of the sulky frame and leaning my bent knee upslope...that and using the hydro controls to compensate.

Is yours hard to keep straight all of the time or just on slopes/uneven terrain?

derbyd137
04-23-2011, 11:07 PM
Well, Ive never had one of these before. So, I say I GOTA GET ME A SULKY !! and RIDE. Fishtail eh? Ya I suppose. You talk about a crooked looking lawn !! I did some practicing on my neibors vacant lot. All said and done I don't think Ill be using this on my clients lawns. I may get fired

derbyd137
04-23-2011, 11:18 PM
Well If I back off on the hydros and slow the machine down its better. But the controls are so sensitive that the faster I go the more radical it gets. Oh fella's by the way the pic I posted is not actually my practise session but not too far off this. Hope ya'l got a good laugh

Darryl G
04-23-2011, 11:32 PM
LMAO....ok...not sure how the Bob-cat works but on most hydro machines you set a lever that limits your maximum speed. Set that to the speed you want to go and with your hands off the levers the machine should go straight. If not you adjust the tracking control. You only operate the levers when you want to turn. If you have it set too fast and are constantly having to try to squeeze both levers to slow it down it's way harder to go straight. Make sense? Not sure I explained that all that well...but set the max speed lever.

derbyd137
04-24-2011, 04:47 PM
Ok, I am new to this machine. I bought it used. There are two Hydro controls that are linked together if you push or pull one the other moves also. The small bracket that links them together allows for about 1/4" of movement. In other words one control could be 1/4" ahead of the other thus allowing a bit more fluid to one wheel (draft control). The farther you push them forward the faster the machine goes. So, I give the a bit of juice to move at a fairly sllow pace. When the machine starts drifting I use the hand controls (left or right) To compensate for the drift. The hand controls are so sensitive that I end up over shooting my goal. Maybe with me riding that has an affect?

derbyd137
04-24-2011, 04:49 PM
Bitmap image of my machine

derbyd137
04-24-2011, 04:50 PM
The two levers in the center of the counsil are the hydro controls

derbyd137
04-24-2011, 04:54 PM
OH! Also if I up the throttle a bit and let out the controls with me one the sulky it will do a wheelly. Ok, I think that about expolains the whole deal. If I cant figure it out soon Im gona scrap tha caddy :((

derbyd137
04-28-2011, 02:47 PM
Selling The daw gone thang

Darryl G
04-28-2011, 04:19 PM
Selling The daw gone thang

Is that the name of your company...StraightLine Lawn Care? Sorry but that's kind of funny. I can't help but thinking you're doing something wrong if your mower won't mow straight. I mean it should mow straight with your hands off the levers...if not adjust the tracking control. Does the mower go straight without the sulky?

Southern Pride
04-28-2011, 07:01 PM
Dude it's not that hard to figure out honestly.

What I don't get is why your bobcat has two controls for hydro speed. Does each one control a separate hydro? My Toro has the same thing but just 1 control lever for forward speed.

Southern Pride
04-28-2011, 07:06 PM
Also, I'd love to create a site just like yours there. Where did you go to make the site and how much? You can pm me or just reply on here.

Darryl G
04-28-2011, 07:44 PM
Yeah, weird that there are 2 levers...i guess that's how you set the max forward speed and tracking. But it should go straight once those are set, unless you're squeezing the hand levers. My point originally was that some people set the max speed too high so that they're always holding back on both hand levers and then you can get some erratic movement....if you're going slow but have them at max.

rodzilla94
04-28-2011, 08:47 PM
Yeah, weird that there are 2 levers...i guess that's how you set the max forward speed and tracking. But it should go straight once those are set, unless you're squeezing the hand levers. My point originally was that some people set the max speed too high so that they're always holding back on both hand levers and then you can get some erratic movement....if you're going slow but have them at max.

my cub 48 hydro has 2 levers for the hydro. they should work independently from one another they help alot for tracking on big slops and for fine tuning the mower.....i had surgery on my left ankle about 3 weeks ago so when i stand on my one wheel sulky i put more weight on my right leg.so i just give a little on one side of the controls to compensate for straight line cutting

Southern Pride
04-28-2011, 08:54 PM

Yeah I'm glad you said that about setting the speed. It's such a simple concept but lately I've been setting it too fast and end up squeezing the heck out of the grips for 1/2 an hour and just my right hand will go numb and tingle, SO I've learned to set the speed where I'm not doing any squeezing, except turning.

derbyd137
04-28-2011, 09:06 PM
Yes my mower has seperate controls for each pump. But they are linked together with about 1/4 inch of draft control so as not to over compensate from one side to the other. Its a bit sensitive. Yes my mower will run straight as can be with the sulky disconnected. And last My son is the official webmaster for the city of Baltimore Maryland. Type in Baltimore Maryland and everything you see is done and maintained by my son. So, I have the best price (FREE) :)) and in my opinion the best web developer money can buy. It is actually a spin off of my construction company web site.
So, Thank you too everyone for all you great imput to my sulky problem. But in the end I will try a single wheel and if that dont work I'll walk or trade in for a zero turn rider. I love this site

Karl
http://www.kk-builders.com

Darryl G
04-28-2011, 10:48 PM
OK...I'm thinking it's just a matter of practice and getting to know the machine...I mean a dual hydro walk behind is pretty simple to operate with a little practice, even on a sulky. Maybe your sulky is f'd up though? Weight distribution problem or something. Good luck!

Southern Pride
04-29-2011, 12:02 AM
Yeah man it HAS to be something between you, or the sulky. I doubt it's anything wrong with the mower.