PDA

View Full Version : So hard to find good help nowdays!

Agape
04-23-2011, 08:43 PM
I put an ad for a worker on CL and got a peculiar reply from a bloke with a serious sense of entitlement.

My ad:
Experienced landscape worker wanted ,Part - Full time depending on ebb and flow of business.
Must have checkable references ( COMPANY NAME, SUPERVISOR NAME, AND CONTACT PHONE# OF PREVIOUS EMPLOYER) have this available before contacting us.
must have clean driving record, and OWN transportation to and from work
reply to: lovelawn@comcast.net
any other contact is not going to reach us

•Compensation: $9-$10
•Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
•Please, no phone calls about this job!
•Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.

The reply:
That's a lot a qualifications for 9 to 10 dollars per hour. I meet the requirements but won't work for next to nothing. Its funny how 10 years ago it was 9 to 10 dollars and yet with cost of living jumping almost 50%, people like you still think they

YES, it stopped after "they" (idiot)

Do any of you think my ad is "off base?
min. wage here is $8.50/hr

93Chevy
04-23-2011, 08:54 PM
You want somebody with experience but you may not have steady work year round for them? That doesn't flow well with guys like me wanting a steady job with decent pay, benefits, and room for advancement.

You're going to have a very very hard time finding a good employee who will meet your qualifications, in my opinion.

PrecisionLandscaping909
04-23-2011, 09:03 PM
Get what ya pay for. Your not offering much so your not going to get much. I hope you luck out and find a good hard working college kid. Your not gonna get a good employee cheap. Just like the people in the jon market are not going to get a good paying job if they have nothing to offer.

For $15.00 an hour I bet you could get a guy who gets twice as much done as the guy you pay $10.00 that isn't worth .01 cents an hour.

Dr.NewEarth
04-24-2011, 12:31 AM
I start people at 14 an hour, but our cost of living is higher up here in Lotus Land, B.C.
They need a car, a drivers abstract and proper references too.

I never get what I request of people on CL....

ya, it seems they think they are entitled to send you a crap resume with no extras...
and they get their birthday off too. Right?

CL is full of people with problems.

If the CL user doesn't like your ad, all they have to do is press flag and it's gone.
CL doesn't check it. You get a computer generated message that it's been removed.
Your competition can do the same when you're advertising for clients.

You know, If you advertise for a resume, with a cover letter, three references, a drivers abstract and any certifications and all you get is a very basic short e-mail....
do you really want to hire that type of person? I don't.

They can't follow directions before they're even hired.

Agape
04-24-2011, 02:42 AM
You want somebody with experience but you may not have steady work year round for them? That doesn't flow well with guys like me wanting a steady job with decent pay, benefits, and room for advancement.

You're going to have a very very hard time finding a good employee who will meet your qualifications, in my opinion.

Well, I was working a guy 35 hours a week but we were doing a lot of fliers, now I am doing bulk mailers, so that eliminates10-14 hrs/week, but it's not unlikely to get a ton of work. I don't want to promise the moon but I need someone in place for when I do get busy. Right now I am pushing the seams of what i can do myself.

my last guy I gave a lot of extra hours to keep him busy and take care of him when we were not swamped with cleanups.

My buddy Jim lewis starts people at $10. I don't have a crew, so no crew lead positions, but I see myself getting busy enough to keep a guy working close to full time through the winter.

I was paying my guy 10, but another buck an hour is only $160/month more (plus workers comp. and match SS)

mikemat31
04-24-2011, 02:51 AM
I am 16 work for a landscaper I get 10 an hour for landscaping 15 for shoveling I think its pretty fair considering before this year I had no expiernce in the lawn industry

Agape
04-24-2011, 03:04 AM
Get what ya pay for. Your not offering much so your not going to get much. I hope you luck out and find a good hard working college kid. Your not gonna get a good employee cheap. Just like the people in the jon market are not going to get a good paying job if they have nothing to offer.

For $15.00 an hour I bet you could get a guy who gets twice as much done as the guy you pay $10.00 that isn't worth .01 cents an hour.

True, or I can waste 50% more on someone who is worthless, I don't do construction yet or I would pay more, right now it's maint. and cleanups with 1/2 of most days in the truck.

grincon
04-24-2011, 03:09 AM
I think 10 bucks is good starting pay for around here. That might even be kind of generous.

Agape
04-24-2011, 03:19 AM
I think 10 bucks is good starting pay for around here. That might even be kind of generous.
thanks G!
That's what I thought...9 to start and 10 after 30 days or the boot in the arse lol

topsites
04-24-2011, 09:32 AM
The bloke reminds me, and confirms my suspicions...
But first off the price of a grass cut never went up either!
Mulch is as cheap today as it was 10 years ago!
Well, almost!

There are a lot of folks I know, myself included, who have had to make sacrifice
in order to stay afloat and in cases just to keep a job, this bloke doesn't realize...

Every day I hear of yet another sacrifice someone made, it's never a small thing.
We're talking one of the family members taking a 50% pay CUT so as to keep a job.
We're talking another family member moving 100 miles away so they can accept a new position, in effect
splitting up the family but so the bills can continue to get paid.
We're talking parents getting rid of the dog and lying to their children about it, so the bills can keep getting paid.
We're talking a head of household who is no longer able to do much of anything at all because
he (or she) was wounded, I didn't ask stupid questions when I heard of it but I would assume in battle.

The list goes on, I'm talking every day I hear about sacrifices being made, some so harsh it makes me sick to my stomach to hear about it.
Well, almost every day, but then this guy...

Affirms my suspicions that the folks who are unemployed are simply the people who are too proud to work for the wages
that are being offered today, and while these wages may be meager, but does he think he's the only one?
Folks practically give it away so they can have work!

And we still have it good, these folks don't want me to start numbering off the sacrifices being made
in certain third world countries, believe me, I don't even like to hear it, people are doing things that
just bring tears to my eyes (Japanese nuclear power plant anyone?).

Yes I realize Japan is no third world country

A lot of folks out there are struggling.

ALC-GregH
04-24-2011, 10:13 AM
I am 16 work for a landscaper I get 10 an hour for landscaping 15 for shoveling I think its pretty fair considering before this year I had no expiernce in the lawn industry

I don't quite understand what you're doing. Do you have a legitimate business? You list equipment like you do but you said you work for another company. Did they make you sign a "no compete" agreement? If so, you won't get ANY customers and if you do, the other company can sue you.

NEVER OWN a company and work for another in the same industry.

Agape
04-24-2011, 11:12 AM
Well topsites, for better or worse. Maybe I shoulda let it go, but here is my reply to him;

You are the only looser on the planet that thinks it's unreasonable to have checkable references, a clean dvr and a car. 9-10 is the standard starting rate in the industry, so you should get your GED and go to colledge if you want more.

I have more work than I can handle, all my bills paid, the abillity to feed my family and 20 guys off CL willing to work. All you seem to have is an attitude and a sense of entitlement. I wish you the best of luck.

"Who still think they".......what?

I shouldn't have said it, but MAN, that fired me up when all he had to do was go on to the next ad that paid $30 an hour for a laborer.

Patriot Services
04-24-2011, 12:55 PM
You did nothing wrong. At least you put the starting salary in the ad. How many jobs make you apply and interview before the pay is even discussed. This is America. No one is forced to apply for, accept or stay at a job if they don't want too. This is the job, this is what it pays, take it or leave it. I get 10 calls a week asking if I am hiring. Let the employee prove he is an asset, shows up, doesn't break stuff and can use equipment properly. That's just basic requirements.