PDA

View Full Version : 20' PJ Dump Trailer

PlantscapeSolutions
04-23-2011, 07:51 PM
I've been wanting a new dump trailer for a while and finally said what the hell lets buy one. I'll be picking this one up on Tuesday. My local place Magnum Trailers in Austin wanted about $13,807 for the same trailer and it wouldn't be ready for two months.

I found this one in another city for $12,500. Dual hydro scissor lift, LED lights, powder coat paint and so on. The dump gate can dump like a dump truck or be opened as a split gate.

I could have gotten a 20' Bigtex for $11995 but I couldn't have gotten the same 7.99% for 48 rate. Plus the Bigtex had no LEDs and a few less options.

Here in Austin Magnum Trailers used to stock tons of trailers but they had no big PJ dumps in stock. I've got to drive 200 miles to get this one but 200 miles in Texas doesn't get you very far!

For parts you can't beat Magnum Trailers but the trailers tend to be expensive list price units. I wouldn't be surprised if Magnum wasn't the biggest trailer place in the country. Magnum mostly sells trailers from other manufacturers but they build them as well.

I'm a fan of big stuff and you don't get much bigger than a 20' tandem dually gooseneck dump trailer. The empty weight is about 8,000 lbs. My other 21' trailer is 5900 lbs empty so 8K isn't a big deal. You just can't have a wimpy gasser if your going to have a trailer like this.

bobcat48
04-23-2011, 07:58 PM
Congarts,very nice looking trailer.

Z-master man
04-23-2011, 08:00 PM
Nice!! What are you going to haul it with?

93Chevy
04-23-2011, 08:03 PM
Wow, that's a dope trailer.

Does this mean you'll quit bagging debris in garbage bags now that you can dump?

PlantscapeSolutions
04-23-2011, 08:14 PM
Wow, that's a dope trailer.

Does this mean you'll quit bagging debris in garbage bags now that you can dump?

The plan is to dump the bags into the trailer at the end of the day. Bag are still the easiest way to handle leaves, hedge trimmings and other small debris. Bigger items we never tried to put in bags.

Still no plans to use goofy tarps to wrap stuff up or anything like that. Bags are still fast and easy and we can pile them high with ease in the truck bed. Plus the $3.95 per bag price is very easy for billing purposes.

PlantscapeSolutions
04-23-2011, 08:29 PM
Nice!! What are you going to haul it with?

I'll probably use it for a bunch of things. The most common will be a mobile dumpster for trimmings. No more bags piling up at my house. I'll also use it for a landscape trailer for plants and other stuff.

I'm going to have a custom catwalk built to put between the heavy equipment ramps so we can run dollies and wheel barrows up into the bed just like a regular trailer.

I already have a 21' triple axle gooseneck trailer with 4' sides but if I can get a decent ramp configured for my dump I may sell my other trailer. It's a challenge getting a ramp built that usable for a deckover style dump trailer because it sits so high.

Z-master man
04-23-2011, 09:07 PM
I'll probably use it for a bunch of things. The most common will be a mobile dumpster for trimmings. No more bags piling up at my house. I'll also use it for a landscape trailer for plants and other stuff.

I'm going to have a custom catwalk built to put between the heavy equipment ramps so we can run dollies and wheel barrows up into the bed just like a regular trailer.

I already have a 21' triple axle gooseneck trailer with 4' sides but if I can get a decent ramp configured for my dump I may sell my other trailer. It's a challenge getting a ramp built that usable for a deckover style dump trailer because it sits so high.

ohh nice! I meant what are you going to pull it with though lol

SNAPPER MAN
04-23-2011, 09:25 PM
Haha I know exactly where that dealer is. I can tell by the sign in the back lol. Houston has so many trailer places its insane.

benjaminesh
04-23-2011, 09:43 PM
Very Nice:) I have always been a big fan of pg

fire126
04-23-2011, 09:55 PM
Nice looking dumper. How tall are the sides?

PlantscapeSolutions
04-23-2011, 10:20 PM
Nice looking dumper. How tall are the sides?

4" sides any taller is a waste because it's harder to load.

PlantscapeSolutions
04-23-2011, 10:22 PM
ohh nice! I meant what are you going to pull it with though lol

I have an 09' Ram Dually 4x4 with a Smarty downloader, Airdog, 5" TBE, and AFE airbox. My emissions crap is in my garage where it belongs.

Oakleaf landscape
04-23-2011, 11:57 PM
What kind of MPG's do you get with the ram empty with all those upgrades. How much HP and Torque ya got as well. Just for grins.

PlantscapeSolutions
04-24-2011, 03:04 AM
What kind of MPG's do you get with the ram empty with all those upgrades. How much HP and Torque ya got as well. Just for grins.

Because of the stock 68RFE trans I only run the setting that ads 65 hp and about 130 tq. Losing the DPF and EGR added 2 mpg. On the highway at 65-70 I've hand calculated about 14.5 mpg. ARP 625 heads studs are being installed next week. The 6.7's need better studs if you add power or you risk paying $800 to repair a blown head gasket.

On my current setting I'm putting down about 415 hp and 780 tq. If I had my trans beefed up by Suncoast in Florida I could run the 200 hp setting that adds about 400 tq.

KrayzKajun
04-24-2011, 08:35 AM
Sweet trailer. Congrats
Posted via Mobile Device

Schrock Lawns
04-24-2011, 11:44 AM
sick trailer

DieselHolic
04-24-2011, 07:36 PM
Awesome trailer, if your Cummins is black i'm even more jealous. 6 in a row built to tow.

PlantscapeSolutions
04-25-2011, 06:43 AM
Awesome trailer, if your Cummins is black i'm even more jealous. 6 in a row built to tow.

My dually truck is white and I have a white 06' 2500 as well. In Texas white goes well with the heat. Plus graphics look best on white trucks. My three other open trailers are green and if I ever get my dump painted it will end up green as well. My 16' enclosed is my lone white trailer but it's covered in graphics so you don't see a lot of white.

Here's on for you "real trucks don't have spark plugs".

PlatinumLandCon
04-25-2011, 08:05 AM
Is 7.99% for 48 good? LOL!! if you can't afford it, don't buy it. I only finance if it's 0.9% or less. Oh well, I guess that's why banks are around. Killer trailer btw, it's exactly what I'm getting but only 18" sides.
Posted via Mobile Device

PerfectEarth
04-25-2011, 10:02 AM
Is 7.99% for 48 good? LOL!Posted via Mobile Device

I was thinking the same thing....ouch.

That is a nice trailer. For some reason I would think something that size is massive overkill though... I don't know what you're planning on hauling around besides bagged up leaves- but for me to come close to using that, I would have to be doing 25-30 cu. yard mulch jobs everyday. What kind of material will you be using it for? Do you have a CDL?

PlantscapeSolutions
04-25-2011, 05:17 PM
Is 7.99% for 48 good? LOL!! if you can't afford it, don't buy it. I only finance if it's 0.9% or less. Oh well, I guess that's why banks are around. Killer trailer btw, it's exactly what I'm getting but only 18" sides.
Posted via Mobile Device

I have zero for 72 on my 09 dually 4x4 and zero for 60 on my 06' 2500 that will be paid off this year. My Scag V-Ride is 2.9%. I'll probably put several thousand down and pay it off more quickly by making double payments when the money is flowing in nicely.

Your probably never going to see a rate less then 7.99 on a trailer. Most banks right now will not lend less then $25,000 and if they do it will be a higher interest unsecured loan.

Usually when you get a .9 or zero percent interest loan your giving up a rebate to get it so your true cost of the loan is often not .9. It's more like 3.9 at a minimum.

They say you have to spend money to make money so I guess I should be rich pretty soon!

White Gardens
04-25-2011, 05:27 PM
I'm a fan of big stuff and you don't get much bigger than a 20' tandem dually gooseneck dump trailer. The empty weight is about 8,000 lbs. My other 21' trailer is 5900 lbs empty so 8K isn't a big deal. You just can't have a wimpy gasser if your going to have a trailer like this.

I've got a 496 gasser that says otherwise. :laugh:

PlantscapeSolutions
04-25-2011, 06:23 PM

How did you end up with that? Did you win it in a contest or something? Surely you didn't pay money for that gas hog. Does the Air Force follow behind you and refuel the truck every couple of miles.:laugh:

cutbetterthanyou
04-25-2011, 08:47 PM
Just curious with a trailer that is already that heavy how may ton can you legally haul?

pitrack
04-25-2011, 09:07 PM
Nice trailer, you will be happy with the PJ, mine is built like tank. As long as you don't mind pulling around a mobile home all day. I hope you plan on throwing more than bagged up leaves in that thing :D

THEGOLDPRO
04-25-2011, 09:33 PM
thats a pretty serious trailer.

White Gardens
04-25-2011, 10:27 PM
How did you end up with that? Did you win it in a contest or something? Surely you didn't pay money for that gas hog. Does the Air Force follow behind you and refuel the truck every couple of miles.:laugh:

:laugh:

8.1 in a 15k gvwr, C3500HD. Doesn't matter if it's a gas hog, it does the work it needs to with plenty of power to spare. My gas sipper is an S-10, used for all the little stuff I do.

10mpg's, loaded or not. When I hear the kind of mileage the diesel Cab and Chassis get, I'm happy I got a gasser.

Now, I hear they put a 350 in a lot of 3500HD's after 01, and that's got to be a wussy set-up.

PlantscapeSolutions
04-25-2011, 10:28 PM
Just curious with a trailer that is already that heavy how may ton can you legally haul?

Your combined truck & trailer weight isn't supposed to exceed about 26,000. I tend to fudge that number by about 6,000 from time to time with my other gooseneck trailer. My current gooseneck goes about 6K and the new one will be about 8K.

rcslawncare
04-25-2011, 11:30 PM

Id hook that trailer to my old 8.1 any day. That truck had torque like no other gas Iv driven...

PlantscapeSolutions
04-29-2011, 09:13 PM
Id hook that trailer to my old 8.1 any day. That truck had torque like no other gas Iv driven...

Empty you might be able to handle it but crank up the loaded weight to 20,000 lbs and head for the hills and your going to have problems. Those 8.1's were short lived because they were a gas sucking joke. They were primarily purchased by people who wanted a Diesel but couldn't afford one.

You want a flat torque curve in a towing truck and only a Diesel can do that. New trucks are making 800 ft lbs at just over idle (1600 rpms). The gas trucks don't make decent torque until you get much higher in the rpm range. Plus the Diesels are built to commercial\industrial standards while the gassers are built with cheap parts intended to last half as long.

Plus the cost per mile to operate a Diesel work truck is much cheaper than a gasser. For me I buy my trucks as a long term investment. If you actually work your truck and think long term at the time of purchase Rudolph Diesel is your man.

PlantscapeSolutions
04-29-2011, 09:34 PM
:laugh:

8.1 in a 15k gvwr, C3500HD. Doesn't matter if it's a gas hog, it does the work it needs to with plenty of power to spare. My gas sipper is an S-10, used for all the little stuff I do.

10mpg's, loaded or not. When I hear the kind of mileage the diesel Cab and Chassis get, I'm happy I got a gasser.

Now, I hear they put a 350 in a lot of 3500HD's after 01, and that's got to be a wussy set-up.

The Cab & Chassis 3500 trucks are a step up from what you have. They have 19.5" wheels and lowers gears will easily handle towing 50% more then an 8.1. Step up to a 4500 or 5500 C&C and you have a real beast. The C&C's are an always hooked to a trailer kind of truck. Even with a DPF and lowers gears the C&C will gets better mpgs empty. Once you hook up even as little as 10K the C&C is going to get at least 30% better mpg's.

Plus when the gasser is pushing up daisies in the junkyard the C&C will still be going strong. The Cummins is a 300K mile rebuild certified truck. I saw one at an auction with 512K on the odometer.

I had a gasser when I first started in business but the limitations and shortfalls were too great to ever justify buying another one.

White Gardens
04-30-2011, 09:14 AM
I can agree. A diesel is going to be a good puller regardless.

My truck is also a a C and C with a dump bed, 19.5 wheels, four wheel disc and the solid/wide track front axle. It's a 2001, the last year they made it, and the only year it had an 8.1 in it. (C3500HD)

I've filled it to the hilt getting it filled close to 26k and it still pulls pretty good. Any grades or major inclines and it would fall short though, and that would be where I want a diesel.

Over all it does what I need it to. The occasional heavy pull, but mostly I keep the weight at 20k total at the most.

The biggest surprise to me was plowing snow this last winter where we got a 12 inch snow storm. The thing would bust through and push piles way better power and traction wise than I could ever imagine for a 2wd truck.

PlantscapeSolutions
07-15-2011, 10:39 PM
The sides are your standard 4' sides you find on the big dump trailers. I just got my class A CDL so I can pull it legally. I had to get a medical waiver because one eye has corrected vision of 20/50 and they require no less then 20/40. I had to see an optometrist and a doctor to get my waiver.

I'm clearing a bunch of brush and tree's at my own property right now so I'm using the trailer for the first time. This trailer is kick azz. It has about 24 cubic yards of space.

FinerCutslawnCare
07-16-2011, 05:16 PM
That thing is huge!

KrayzKajun
07-16-2011, 05:27 PM
Let's see some pics oof it at use!
Posted via Mobile Device

PlantscapeSolutions
07-19-2011, 10:01 PM
I finally got a chance to use my new trailer. I had it filled up with about 23 yards of brush. It's great to not have to mess with a pull off chain anymore. I know the owner of the soil & mulch yard I go to so there is no disposal fee.

The trailer is about 9000 lbs empty and has a capacity of 16,000 lbs. I have my Smarty tuner set for an extra 65 HP & 130 Ft lbs. of torque. This puts me at about 415 HP & 780 ft lbs of torque. You've got to love the power of a Cummins 6.7. On downgrades the exhaust brake works great and slows the truck down with out even having to touch the brakes.

Once you own a Diesel with an exhaust brake you'll never want to own one without it. This is especially true if you drive in a hilly area.

zak406
07-19-2011, 10:11 PM
Sweet set up man, im hoping to get a 14 or 16 foot dump trailer next year along with another truck!

KrayzKajun
07-19-2011, 10:25 PM
love it!!!!

Fordsuvparts
07-19-2011, 10:40 PM
Not a bad looking trailer, they are built fairly decent. The best I have ever seen are from Texas Bragg. We bought 3 of them 2 years ago for fema cleanup from an ice storm. They have factory side extensions up to 9' tall.

WPS85
07-20-2011, 09:13 AM
Nice big dump trailer!

I like PJ trailers! :dancing:

PlantscapeSolutions
07-20-2011, 10:20 AM
Not a bad looking trailer, they are built fairly decent. The best I have ever seen are from Texas Bragg. We bought 3 of them 2 years ago for fema cleanup from an ice storm. They have factory side extensions up to 9' tall.

There is still a place in Dallas that was stuck with two of those hurricane cleanup built trailers. I could have gotten the taller sides for the same price or cheaper but they are more prone to getting pushed out. The taller sides really have leverage working against them.

When the hurricanes hit the Houston area years back places couldn't build the cleanup trailers with tall sides fast enough. The trailers that were built too late to be used for the cleanup sat on dealer lots for years. The resale value of the cleanup trailers is not very good. You really need to wait for another natural disaster to hit if you want to sell them if the extensions are welded on. For normal use the tall sides are more of a hindrance then a benefit.

Because I'm in Texas I see Texas Bragg trailers on a regular basis. Their dumps have the better scissor type lift like PJ & Bigtex. The sides can be removed on the PJ and it can be used as a flatbed if you wanted. The paint is Powder Coat on the PJ which isn't an option on the Bragg. My trailer came with all LED lights, split tailgate that can also dump just like a dump truck, two hydro lifts on the scissor lift backed by two batteries, spare tire, equipment tie downs in the floor and other stuff that I really liked.

Here in Texas Bragg is known for making fair priced economical trailers but Bigtex & PJ are know more for making the best engineered trailers. I'm not saying I wouldn't own a Bragg but if you put the PJ & Bragg side by side you will notice the PJ is a better built trailer. The fact that PJ is the biggest trailer company in the U.S. and had the best financing helped as well.

There are an insane amount of trailer companies in Texas. The top two volume manufacturers (PJ & Bigtex) are both based here and probably a bunch more. There are easily over 100 companies here that make trailers. The competition here makes it much easier to get a better deal.

Gotta go, I've got the urge to go take a dump!

pitrack
07-20-2011, 11:36 AM
Nice looking trailer. One thing to be aware of on my PJ all of a sudden after about 3 years my battery started dieing that powered my pump. I replaced the battery and after 1 or 2 dumps it was dead again. Nothing has changed, same truck and everything. I ended up just charging the battery up and whenever I am not dumping it I just unhook the positive terminal off the battery and it holds its charge.

PlantscapeSolutions
07-20-2011, 11:58 AM
Nice looking trailer. One thing to be aware of on my PJ all of a sudden after about 3 years my battery started dieing that powered my pump. I replaced the battery and after 1 or 2 dumps it was dead again. Nothing has changed, same truck and everything. I ended up just charging the battery up and whenever I am not dumping it I just unhook the positive terminal off the battery and it holds its charge.

When I purchased the trailer from Nationwide in Houston they told me that the batteries need to be hooked up to a charger or a truck so they will stay charged. I spent $60 at Walmart for a charger that can be set to basically trickle a tiny charge into the battery. A regular charger can over charge the batteries so I was warned to make sure I get the correct charger.

Also, the Dodge trucks have hot trailer plugs even when the power is off but not all trucks are this way. So not all trucks will charge up the batteries if the truck is not running.