PDA

View Full Version : Weirdest issue yet!

freshprince94
04-23-2011, 11:33 PM
Today I pull up to the last lawn of the day. Some neighborhood kids were playing around the house, so I took 5 minutes to catch up on emails and finish my drink before getting er' done. I get out of my truck and start mowing, only to find that the hose spigot on the side of the house has been completely ripped off and water is gushing out of the house! Turns out the last plumber had half ass fixed the pipe and it was hanging by a thread, literally. Now this is a rental property and the tenant was freaking out as it is a lady who's husband is never home and the prop manager is out of the country. Fortunately, I was able to get a plumber who is a good friend of mine out there in 30 minutes to shut off the water and cap the hole. Moral of the story: it is always good to have the phone numbers of other servicepeople on you because you never know when they'll come in handy!

TuffWork
04-23-2011, 11:37 PM
It's even better to know how to turn the water off to a house if need be. (I talk smack, but I don't know if it's any different than here)

That being said. Since you nor anyone else around knew how, thank god you knew someone who did. I always carry a phone book in the truck.

freshprince94
04-23-2011, 11:48 PM
It's even better to know how to turn the water off to a house if need be. (I talk smack, but I don't know if it's any different than here)

That being said. Since you nor anyone else around knew how, thank god you knew someone who did. I always carry a phone book in the truck.

I do know how to turn off the water main, you turn this metal piece in the water box which is usually under a concrete grate in the front yard here. To turn that switch, you have to have a special kind of tool that I don't carry with me on my trailer.

freshprince94
04-23-2011, 11:49 PM
Neglected to add, it was the kids who stepped on the house, causing the whole problem!

grassman177
04-24-2011, 12:04 AM
not hard to go downstairs and shut off the water, or i carry a water meter key/wrench since i work on irrigation alot.

moral being the other service people on call in your phone is a great idea. i have a few, but really should have more now that you mention it

Darryl G
04-24-2011, 12:15 AM
Isn't it standard for there to be a water shutoff where the water line enters the house. Every potable water system I've ever seen has one (I used to service water treatment systems).

Patriot Services
04-24-2011, 12:19 AM
HD or any plumbing supply store will have key wrenches. Florida houses are notorious for having an above ground pvc supply line. Get overzealous with the trimmer or too close with the mower and you'll snap it right off.
Posted via Mobile Device

weeze
04-24-2011, 12:44 AM
I do know how to turn off the water main, you turn this metal piece in the water box which is usually under a concrete grate in the front yard here. To turn that switch, you have to have a special kind of tool that I don't carry with me on my trailer.

you can turn it off with a pair of pliers or a monkey wrench...just letting you know :)

Flatop
04-24-2011, 01:32 AM
you can turn it off with a pair of pliers or a monkey wrench...just letting you know :)

I concur, no special water turn off tool. I used pliers to shut of the main water when I installed a water softener to the house. The only only good thing about a water turn off key is that you do not have to stick your hands into the box.

freshprince94
04-24-2011, 08:21 AM
Yeah from now on I will carry the water shutoff tool with me on my trailer. Regardless of whether I turned off the water or someone else did, the situation was resolved.

jtsnipe
04-24-2011, 08:56 AM
you can turn it off with a pair of pliers or a monkey wrench...just letting you know :)Not in Ohio unless you have 4' arms and a 3'' monkey wrench.

StanWilhite
04-24-2011, 03:59 PM

An easy way to turn the water off at the meter (as long as you can reach it) is to stand an adjustable wrench straight up and put a screwdriver through the hole in the handle (at a 90 degree angle) for leverage.