PDA

View Full Version : Gravely Pro Turn 260 XDZ Won't Stripe

NORTHMAN
04-24-2011, 11:17 AM
Hi,I have a one year old Pro Turn that dosen't stripe andit has a factory stripe kit(rubber flap).I live in NJ so it's northern grass,any ideas,please.Other than that it's a good mower.Thanks.

BINKY1902
04-24-2011, 11:47 AM
What height are you cutting at?

93Chevy
04-24-2011, 12:11 PM
Let's see a picture of what it's doing so we can help diagnose the problem

dgw
04-24-2011, 12:14 PM
check the pitch

tacoma200
04-24-2011, 12:22 PM
New Jersey can have either Northern or Southern grasses. Fescue and Bluegrass stripe very well but many varieties don't. You need to be close to 4" for a good stripe or there's not enough grass to lay over. Are other lawns in your area striped?

dgw
04-24-2011, 12:27 PM
New Jersey can have either Northern or Southern grasses. Fescue and Bluegrass stripe very well but many varieties don't. You need to be close to 4" for a good stripe or there's not enough grass to lay over. Are other lawns in your area striped?

good point to

or if its a bent or fine fescue it wont come out either

NORTHMAN
04-24-2011, 01:16 PM
Thanks for all the replys.I cut any where from 3"-3 1/2" which in the norm for the area.There are some lawns with great stripes.I'm in extreme northwest NJ,mostly bluegrass and fescue,though my lawns are a mix of evrything including weeds.My customers haven't complained and just want their lawns to look neat,which they do but I want to do more and do the best job I can.I thought about different blades,mabe Oregon G6 Gator blades?Any suggestions on deck pitch?I just saw that Gravely now offers a new stipe kit with a hexagnol roller,I'm going to price on tommorow.I have seen pictures of lawns striped with a Gravely and they look great,I just want to be able to do the same.Thank you all again for your help.

dgw
04-24-2011, 01:21 PM
my 260's are 3 inches in the front and 3 1/4 in the back

make sure both sides are level

heres mine , i dont use a stripe kit

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=331405

NORTHMAN
04-24-2011, 01:38 PM
dgw,thanks,thats what I want to do.please forgive my ignorance but is that 3" measured at the front blade and 3 1/4" at the rear?What blades are you using and what height are you cutting at?Thanks again.

dgw
04-24-2011, 01:41 PM
i do the front of the front blade at 3 inches, when the blade is facing forward

and the back of the back blades at 3 1/4

so cutting at three as long as the grass is manageable at that

im back to regular blades from oregon , im done with high lifts(dont like the cut, and dont see a difference in stripes)

ProStreetCamaro
04-24-2011, 01:57 PM
X-Factor deck? Very strange it wont stripe. I dont have a stripe kit on mine and it lays very deep stripes.

This is my own personal front yard. First cut of the year in this picture.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v426/prostreetcamaro/mylawn.jpg

dgw
04-24-2011, 02:00 PM
heres another pic without a kit

i agree it weird that it wont stripe

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=324426

dgw
04-24-2011, 02:03 PM
X-Factor deck? Very strange it wont stripe. I dont have a stripe kit on mine and it lays very deep stripes.

This is my own personal front yard. First cut of the year in this picture.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v426/prostreetcamaro/mylawn.jpg

thats a really nice cut

NORTHMAN
04-24-2011, 03:44 PM
ProStreetCamaro,Thyanks for the pictures.What kind of blades,deck pitch and deck height are you using?Thanks.

ProStreetCamaro
04-24-2011, 03:57 PM
ProStreetCamaro,Thyanks for the pictures.What kind of blades,deck pitch and deck height are you using?Thanks.

The blades are Stens high lift blades. I buy them on ebay. They are exact carbon copy of the OEM factory blade but cost much less. The pitch is 1/4" front to back and my lawn I cut at 4" which is higher than I really want to be cutting it but anything shorter and it cuts down into the stem and starts to turn the lawn brown and leaves a ton of debris across the top of the grass. We just bought this house and I think previous owner had it heavily fertilized. This is the thickest fastest growing lawn I have ever seen and we maintain 73 lawns a week and I have been doing this for almost 20 years.

These are the blades I use. If you look at his feedback you will see where i just recently left feedback from my purchase.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160209009223&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

NORTHMAN
04-24-2011, 04:11 PM
ProStreetCamaro,again I ask to please forgive my ignorance,do you set your pitch as dgw does,3" front and 3 1/4" rear?Thanks again.

ProStreetCamaro
04-24-2011, 04:38 PM
ProStreetCamaro,again I ask to please forgive my ignorance,do you set your pitch as dgw does,3" front and 3 1/4" rear?Thanks again.

Set the two outside blades straight forward and back from the front of the mower to the back. Set the deck height to 3" and measure from the front tip to the ground. That should measure 3". Then from the rear tip to the ground should measure 3 1/4".

tacoma200
04-24-2011, 06:22 PM
Don't feel too bad Northman, ProStreetCamaro has some high quality turf there. The better the turf in Northern grass the more likely your are to get a good stripe. Mix some weeds in like you speak of and it becomes increasingly difficult, especially at the lower height you are cutting at. Hard to bend grass over at 3-3.5" without it popping back up. ProStreetCamaro always has some fine looking lawns.

ProStreetCamaro
04-24-2011, 06:42 PM
Don't feel too bad Northman, ProStreetCamaro has some high quality turf there. The better the turf in Northern grass the more likely your are to get a good stripe. Mix some weeds in like you speak of and it becomes increasingly difficult, especially at the lower height you are cutting at. Hard to bend grass over at 3-3.5" without it popping back up. ProStreetCamaro always has some fine looking lawns.

How have you been tacoma? I haven't been around on here much for the last few months. That picture is my own lawn and it is so nice I actually do not enjoy cutting it so far (if that makes any sense?). We just bought this house a couple weeks ago and I knew the lawn looked thick when we were looking at the house but it was still before the growing season but I never dreamed it was this thick. I cut the lawn at 4" on thursday and I just cut it again today at 4" and took quite a bit off. I still had to double cut a few areas even after only 3 days in order to clean up some debris. I am going to look into growth regulators. With my dad not being able to work right now (just had skin graft on his heel) I am left by myself to do 70+ lawns plus other stuff and also taking him to some dr's appointments. In other words life has been hecktic the last couple months! :dizzy:

NORTHMAN
07-09-2011, 07:42 AM
I just bought some Oregon Hi-Lift blades 91-239,they stick down a little lower than the standard blades that came with the mower,is this ok?Thanks fo all the help.