PDA

View Full Version : Paver patio with 18" stairs?

chipper44
04-24-2011, 01:57 PM
I have a customer who want a 240 sq ft paver patio in the back of their house. It is a lever area. The only question i have is the best way to build steps to the sliding door which is 18" above the patio.

Thank you,
Erik

zedosix
04-24-2011, 02:49 PM
Best way is to build them going upwards.

Stillwater
04-24-2011, 03:20 PM
Best way is to build them going upwards.

agreed, 3 steps going up

MDLawn
04-24-2011, 04:05 PM
There is infomation on this from the ICPI website with a detailed drawing. I think it was their manual.

chipper44
04-24-2011, 06:32 PM
wait.. if the door is 18" above the patio i have to build the stairs up? Hmm i think i was looking for a little more help than the obvious. but thank you guys

MDLawn
04-24-2011, 09:51 PM
I think the thing I learned with the hardscape guys here is that they want to see that you have tried to solve/educate yourself on the issue you are facing. If you are still running into problems and need help I think most will help. I don't blame them for not wanting to lay it all out for you or anyone else for that matter. Either they learned on a crew for years and/or represent the hardscape community by attending certifications and seminars to better their craft. So they spent time & money improving themselves so its hard to blame them for not just dishing out information for free.

Feel free to correct me hardscape guys.

chipper44
04-24-2011, 10:47 PM
I dont understand that at all. I have been doing stone work for 6 years now and if someone had a question I wouldn't hesitate to help them out. My problem is that i mainly work with natural stone and had a simple question how to incorporate paver steps into a patio. Your statement does not make sense to me, im sorry.

DVS Hardscaper
04-24-2011, 11:27 PM
chipper - when you do this day in and day out - yes - YOU WOULD HESITATE TO HELP!

Then factor in the internet forum mentality. Same questions over and over and over and over and over.

I, myself will usually go to great lengths to help at this forum. This can be verified by doing a search on my user name and reviewing my posts.

However, before I jump in and spend 30 minutes typing away and away to someone that I don't know anything about - I need to know that you first did a search of this forum for your answers. This forum has been around for eons. It's packed full with everything you could ever want to know.

I'll share almost everything I know. But first you have to make me want to share.

Stillwater
04-24-2011, 11:50 PM
I dont understand that at all. I have been doing stone work for 6 years now and if someone had a question I wouldn't hesitate to help them out. My problem is that i mainly work with natural stone and had a simple question how to incorporate paver steps into a patio. Your statement does not make sense to me, im sorry.

Chipper you gave us very little meaningful detail of your projects specifications. So what should we reply with.

This is considered a egress so you need to adhere to Ma. building code. So what ever you create it must be a minimum of 36 inches wide with a rise of a maximum of 7 inches and a minimum tread of 11 inches. You have 18 inches to rise, So depending upon the style and aesthetic makeup of your patio, you most likely will want to build 3 platforms progressively 6 inches high with a minimum of 11 inch tread depth to meet your 18 inches conforming to the style of the patio and the current landscaping of the area. Also don't forget depending upon your chosen method their could also be flashing needed at the house and don't forget to pitch for rain runoff. I don't know what else to say about this given the lack of detail on your project. Just sit back and visualize this using your stone mason skills how would you do this using stone? apply your mason skills to the materials you are using for the patio for example you can do this using granite treads along with your pavers.

chipper44
04-25-2011, 12:19 AM
DVS i have been reading these forums for the past 5 days since i joined the site. You have been extremely helpfull in many posts i have read. I will do another search and see if this has already been covered.

Stillwater. I do realize i did not provide much detail but i appreciate you trying to help.
This is a 20' by 12' paver patio under a back deck of a two story house. There is a sliding door about 6' wide that is 18" above where the top of the pavers would be. My first thought was to build the stairs first out of ideal or unilock block and cap them with pavers. I guess i was just looking for some guidance on this or any other ideas someone could suggest.

OneLineAtATime
02-05-2012, 11:10 PM
You can buy 3 steps from techo block or other brands. One piece, looks llike natural stone, simple, "Set it and Forget It"

crazymike
02-05-2012, 11:47 PM
Another option

http://www.stannahstairlifts.com/