PDA

View Full Version : Allternatives To A Stihl FS 100 RX

NORTHMAN
04-24-2011, 01:24 PM
I need another trimmer,I'm thinking of trying something else than what I have now FS 100 RX,any suggestions.I mow a cemetary every 2 weeks and it takes about 4 hours to trim,so it has to be fairly light and powerful to deal with the growth and to deal with the headstones.Thanks for the help.

Alan0354
04-24-2011, 04:53 PM
What don't you like the FS100? Power to weight wise, it is going to be hard to beat the FS100. If you want a more powerful but comfortable trimmer, consider a bike handle. If so, consider the Honda HT35S 36cc 4 cycle with bike handle, it is not that expensive.

Maruyama 31cc trimmer or Redmax 30cc strato are the other two that is light enough and similiar power.

lawnboy dan
04-24-2011, 06:24 PM
and what is light about a honda? i would like to see you haul a honda around for 4 hours. husky is the best lightweight

ed2hess
04-24-2011, 06:27 PM
Echo SRM 265T might do the job. It is a straight 2 stoke and has 2 adjustments on the carb which is very very important. The unit has flex shaft and ...well we got a bunch and some are in third year.

BINKY1902
04-24-2011, 06:37 PM
When I'm doing extended periods of trimming I use a little Echo srm-225. Most of the time I use a Stihl 110, but when trimming for long periods of time I like the light weight and fuel efficiency of the 225. The Stihl obviously is faster and more powerful on quick jobs, but it gets heavy and the vibration gets to me after an hour or so.

Alan0354
04-24-2011, 07:00 PM
and what is light about a honda? i would like to see you haul a honda around for 4 hours. husky is the best lightweight

Which part of the bike handle you don't get? For 4 hours, no trimmer is light enough. Get the bike handle. I have the Honda 31cc with bike handle, I can keep going until gas run out or have to pee.

Alan0354
04-24-2011, 09:22 PM
Seriously, if you do 4 hours trimming a day, before you ruin your hands with Copal Tunnel Syndrum, do yourself a big favour, get a big Bike handle like the FS250 or Honda HHT35S bike handle. This is good for the hard trimming. Then get an Echo SRM225 or Husqvarna 223LS for touch up and edging. You are going to need both. No one trimmer is going to fill the bill.

modedicebox
04-24-2011, 09:54 PM
No way would I use a bike handle that is such a limited setup. We run all stihl. We do parks that require 3-5 hrs of trimming each. We have one 6-7 year old 4 mix fs 100 (guy loves it). I have upgraded to fs90s 4 mix on the rest. Great trimmers. Do have small fuel tanks, about 2hrs to a tank. Power to weight is awesome. My .2...

weeze
04-24-2011, 10:03 PM
the bike handle ones have a shoulder strap so therefore you don't have to hold the weight up like on a normal trimmer....if you are wanting a normal strapless trimmer then i would use a husqvarna 323L...it is super light

NORTHMAN
04-24-2011, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the help.I did have an Stihl 130 with bike handles got rid of it some time ago,it had issues.The only problem with the bike handle is I found it a bit less manuverable than the standard setup.Your right Alan about the CTS,I'm also concerned about arthritis.The trigger on the Stihl seems to be a little hard on my wrist compared to my old Shindaiwa 230.

Alan0354
04-24-2011, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the help.I did have an Stihl 130 with bike handles got rid of it some time ago,it had issues.The only problem with the bike handle is I found it a bit less manuverable than the standard setup.Your right Alan about the CTS,I'm also concerned about arthritis.The trigger on the Stihl seems to be a little hard on my wrist compared to my old Shindaiwa 230.

Then you really seriously need to consider two. Yes the bike handle is very limited, but with full harness, it do something no other can do, trim at level for hours without putting stress on the body. Then get a super light one for touch up. Your body worth more than any trimmer. It is not about the brand, it's the setup that you need to worry about. This is speaking from one with CTS.

Go try one with a good trigger, 4 hours, it can make or break your hands/wrisk etc. My Honda seems very comfortable on my hand, go test it and see it for yourself. Forget the brand, get whatever that you feel comfortable.

NORTHMAN
04-24-2011, 11:05 PM
Of course last year I bought a Stihl FS 250 loop handle,I wonder if it can be converted to a bike haqndle?Alan could you please tell me more about your Honda?How does it compare to a 2-stroke?Reliability?The FS 250 is 2.15 hp(I think),whats the Honda?Thanks again.

Aaronnc
04-24-2011, 11:09 PM
the bike handle ones have a shoulder strap so therefore you don't have to hold the weight up like on a normal trimmer....if you are wanting a normal strapless trimmer then i would use a husqvarna 323L...it is super light

Thumbs Up When my beloved Kaw KGT27A gave up the ghost after 2 seasons, I replaced it with a Husky 323L and love it.

Alan0354
04-25-2011, 03:38 AM
Of course last year I bought a Stihl FS 250 loop handle,I wonder if it can be converted to a bike haqndle?Alan could you please tell me more about your Honda?How does it compare to a 2-stroke?Reliability?The FS 250 is 2.15 hp(I think),whats the Honda?Thanks again.

Mine is the HHT31SUNBA, 31cc. I had carb problem once that turn out to be Wabro problem.......metal fragments inside the carb blocking the jet. After that, it is working fine. It is very very smooth, very quiet. Make the Shindaiwa M242 like a vibrating machine. For CTS, low vibration is important. The newer model is the 36cc HHT35SUNBA. Mine is more similar to the power of yours because is the same engine size.

It is very comfortable to use. I don't find the throttle trigger hard to hold because I have CTS and I would be the first to know that. Always one pull start and not much warmup. I would change to the Shindaiwa Speed Feed head though, I don't like the bump feed head from Honda. It does not have the separation in the spool so you have to be careful when winding to make sure the strings don't bind.

The 36cc Honda is only 1.6hp, so the FS250 is going to be stronger. If you can get the FS250, it is good too. But if you run 4 hours a day, I would stick to the less polution 4 cycle Honda not for the enviroment, but for your health. You would be the first one to breath in the exhaust!!!! The Hondas are pretty strong, I use mine to trim waist high weeds!!! And mine is only 31cc.

For the light trimmer, Husqvarna 223 or 326 are very very good trimmer and light.