PDA

View Full Version : How would you mow a 60 degree slope?

CommercialSnow
04-24-2011, 03:07 PM
its about 100 yds long and 15 ft high. we are currently using a 21 inch mower for as much as possible and then going with a weed eater for the rest. Is there a wheel attachment(or anything) I can get for the weed eater to make it easier to keep it the same length of cut? My guys would love a better way. They got tired fast on this one.

dgw
04-24-2011, 03:10 PM
your walk behind wont do it?

tacoma200
04-24-2011, 03:10 PM
We had one member use a push mower on a rope. Seriously, not sure if he still takes care of that property.

Dr.NewEarth
04-24-2011, 03:25 PM
We had one member use a push mower on a rope. Seriously, not sure if he still takes care of that property.

There was a residence locally that was in the paper doing just that.
I met with the guy once and he laughed about his picture being in the local news paper.
His yard was as steep, but I'd say much larger and farther to fall.

He ended up planting Junipers instead.

I wonder if your weed eater guys are using their shoulder straps? If they aren't, that would help balance out the trim and lessen fatigue.
I hope no-body on your team gets injured on that slope.

I let my clients know that if it's too wet to work on a dangerous area, it will be skipped. If we get hurt, there could be a compensation claim.
We just try to keep it cut low in case we need to skip a week or two.

Even though I put this in the contract, you can never guarantee that there won't be complaints

ARGH

MJB
04-24-2011, 04:54 PM
Yup, I still use the mower on a rope as it seems to be the most efficient. Just buy a cheapo murray mower attach it above both rear wheels with a thin dog cable then attach the rope to it. Make sure you eat your wheaties though because you'll be panting if your not in shape. But it beats falling down with the string trimmer and sliding down the hill on your butt. My Murray smokes alot but is still going strong after 5 yrs.

Oakleaf landscape
04-24-2011, 05:39 PM
Could attach the string to the back of your ZRT and just go back and fourth, faster and zero fatigue. If you put some time into the design you might be able to attach two of the mowers side by side so you would have a double wide.

ALC-GregH
04-24-2011, 06:14 PM
Yup, I still use the mower on a rope as it seems to be the most efficient. Just buy a cheapo murray mower attach it above both rear wheels with a thin dog cable then attach the rope to it. Make sure you eat your wheaties though because you'll be panting if your not in shape. But it beats falling down with the string trimmer and sliding down the hill on your butt. My Murray smokes alot but is still going strong after 5 yrs.

That's a funny story. Do you wear "cleats" when cutting it?

MJB
04-24-2011, 06:54 PM

No you stand up on top on the flat surface so no need for cleats. I'm just glad it's only once per month. We mow everything else weekly but the bank is monthly.

MJB
04-24-2011, 06:56 PM
Could attach the string to the back of your ZRT and just go back and fourth, faster and zero fatigue. If you put some time into the design you might be able to attach two of the mowers side by side so you would have a double wide.

Not mine ! But yours would be ok. I'll be the one with the camara though.:laugh:

tacoma200
04-24-2011, 07:09 PM
Do you still have the picture MJB or a link to the post? And by the way how are your 3 Kawasaki's as far as fuel is concerned? Does one model do better than the others?

ajslands
04-24-2011, 07:43 PM
its about 100 yds long and 15 ft high. we are currently using a 21 inch mower for as much as possible and then going with a weed eater for the rest. Is there a wheel attachment(or anything) I can get for the weed eater to make it easier to keep it the same length of cut? My guys would love a better way. They got tired fast on this one.

How are you walking on a 60 degree angle?
Posted via Mobile Device

MJB
04-24-2011, 07:45 PM
Do you still have the picture MJB or a link to the post? And by the way how are your 3 Kawasaki's as far as fuel is concerned? Does one model do better than the others?

Scroll down to post 20 there are a couple pics of the mower on the bank.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=329477&highlight=mower+on+a+rope&page=2

Regarding my Kawasaki engines they are all doing fine. The 28 and 31 are a little thirsty 1.4 gph last time I checked give or take a little. I'm using my old Exmark a bunch this spring because it's just a 22hp L/C Kawi it burns around
.9 tenths of a gph. Doesn't use any oil and has over 4200 hrs last time I checked. So I'm working it hard this spring until the money starts rolling in.

After hearing about the 37hp Kawi problems I'm hoping my 31 runs as good as my 28 which only has about 1100 hrs on it .

CommercialSnow
04-25-2011, 12:36 AM
awesome link to the other thread. we are mowing up from the bottom as far as they can push the mower then going back and weed whacking the rest. a pain in the butt. The rope mower idea is good. Thanks for the replies.

MJB
04-25-2011, 12:42 AM
awesome link to the other thread. we are mowing up from the bottom as far as they can push the mower then going back and weed whacking the rest. a pain in the butt. The rope mower idea is good. Thanks for the replies.

That is the way we use to do it too. Have you thought about using a growth regulator on the slope? I haven't looked into this for several years, the old growth regulators worked well but discolored the grass a bit. I just never got around to trying it when I was a licensed applicator. I thought about 1 cutting to make it look nice then applying a product like Embark. Maybe someone out there knows about growth regulators and can help us.

CommercialSnow
04-25-2011, 01:29 PM
My fertilizer guy is looking into it for me. John Deere has some products.

Tinkerer
04-25-2011, 01:37 PM
You could rent one of my goats.

ajslands
04-25-2011, 02:41 PM
You should burn it
Posted via Mobile Device

MJB
04-25-2011, 03:47 PM
You should burn it
Posted via Mobile Device

They water it to make it grow & help prevent erosion, it's pure sand underneath.

MOHUSTLER
04-26-2011, 09:49 AM

Funny but I use to do a cemetary and they had a bank that was around a 70-75 degree slope. I wore cleats to stand on the hill while I trimed it.

And there is honestly no good way to do this besides the allready mentioned mower on a rope.

Your best bet is to try to talk the owners into a nice landscape job.

ecurbthims
04-26-2011, 03:52 PM
what about a 4 wheeler with a pull behind mower?

G. Ramey
04-26-2011, 04:12 PM
I mow a 2 acre yard that is about 40-50 degrees. I ride down it on my ztr, go up the street to the driveway and back down again and again. It works good as long as I don't try to slow down. If I pull back on the levers I will start sliding and tear the grass up.

Roger
04-26-2011, 06:07 PM
Some of the degree estimates are exaggerations in this thread, just like similar threads. Nobody can stand on a 45 degree slope. Somebody mentioned working on 75 degree slope. That is the slope of an extension ladder against a wall. Driving a ZTR up a 50 degree slope is way out of the question.

It is time for some hard measurements on the slopes before making estimates by eye.

Shortly after I joined LS, which as been more than 10 years ago, a thread was started in which somebody was bragging how they used their mowers on very steep slopes. They were challenged by somebody living some distance away (seem to recall the two cities may have been Cleveland and Buffalo). After some joking banter with exchanges, the OP was challenged to produce pictures, complete with measuring devices. In the end, I think the two parties got together for the measurement. It was a friendly exchange, unlike the hostility of many of the LS threads these days. The pictures showed the "45 degree slope," to be 28 degrees maximum.

Bottom line, what seems to be steep really isn't so steep when the adjustable triangles and straight-edges are broken out to make measurements.

To the OP, get us some pics with straight-edges and adjustable triangles to show us the "60 degree slope." We know you cannot navigate this slope on your feet.

bcomstock15
06-17-2011, 10:07 PM
Roger, thank you, haha i was thinking the same thing. Even just a simple inclinometer and measure it roughly, anyone ever seen a hustler hillsider 6400 in action ? looks neat. i wonder what slopes in can handle.http://countryequipment.com/Hustler/products/6400.html

regarding the inclinometer thing, we mow some steep slopes with a JD 1445, but its hard to tell how far we can take it. Ive been thinking lately of ways to test its limit of how many degrees it can handle before it tips (sliding isnt an issue, always dry) and then putting an inclinometer in the cab, and just watching it. what do you guys think?

supercuts
06-17-2011, 10:28 PM
my ZTR can mow at 82 degrees....just kidding. I agree with roger and I too would think my estimates are off from an eye guestimate. I dont know how you guys even charge for that....5-6 hrs?? just for the hill? I would want $500 just for the hill and another $4.50 for my daily box of wheaties to pull that rope!

poncho62
06-17-2011, 10:59 PM
I have a similar embankment...guard rail at top, so I cant just drive down it.....I built this rig which works pretty well

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/Poncho62/Tractor%20stuff/001Medium.jpg

Just push it up the hill

flatlander42
06-17-2011, 11:21 PM
Guard rail....what is that, a race track of some sort?

You don't need a second caster wheel on the front of the deck? Looks like it does a nice job!

MJB
06-18-2011, 12:16 AM
I finally broke down and bought one of those incline measuring tools from home depot. I promise I will take a 2x 4 and check that slope in several spots to see just what degree it is. I've just been to busy to remember to do it. I'll try again next fri when I'm working out there. I'll take pics to show everyone. I'm guessing the steepest part to be 45 to 48%. But not all of it will be that steep some may be 35% give or take. I may eat my words but I'm just guessing.

White Gardens
06-18-2011, 12:19 AM
I've thought about the weed-eater and how you could keep an even cut.

Only solution would be to get a set of wheels for a stihl yard boss tiller and mount them to a string trimmer.

MJB
06-18-2011, 12:23 AM
my ZTR can mow at 82 degrees....just kidding. I agree with roger and I too would think my estimates are off from an eye guestimate. I dont know how you guys even charge for that....5-6 hrs?? just for the hill? I would want $500 just for the hill and another $4.50 for my daily box of wheaties to pull that rope!

The rest of the property pays well. 2 of us mow and trim it for $400 in about 5 hrs, then we get paid to do extras also. Now the slope is an extra and it doesn't pay near that. It basically pays the laborer, and make gas money for the day on all my mowing, off the slope.

ALC-GregH
06-18-2011, 12:26 AM
This is one of the places I was cutting. I never measured it to see how steep it is. I'd say close to 25 degrees. http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/americanlawncare/DSC01456.jpg?t=1243977401

p95loser
06-18-2011, 12:58 AM
What about the husqvarna hover mower?

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/homeowner/products/lawn-mowers/hvt52/#specifications