PDA

View Full Version : Lake Bank Mowing

LGL
04-24-2011, 06:36 PM
Ok, so I have the opportunity to bid on a property which has large open areas, but also has 7 medium to large lakes. I want to know what the general opinion is about what the best style of mower would be for mowing the lake banks, any thoughts are appreciated. I currently have a 34 Phazer and a 48 Z wing Cub. My thought is a large Turf Tracer?
Gary

alexschultz1
04-24-2011, 06:48 PM
you are correct sir. your could always be like me and just risk it though, water wont kill you lol. ive been cutting grass for 10 years and ive never fallen in.

LGL
04-24-2011, 07:28 PM
Even if I could mow them with mine, would it be faster with the Turf Tracer?

stuntmanlogan
04-24-2011, 08:54 PM
I wouldn't risk it. I would just buy a 60 inch turf tracer.

ALC-GregH
04-24-2011, 09:01 PM
you are correct sir. your could always be like me and just risk it though, water wont kill you lol. ive been cutting grass for 10 years and ive never fallen in.

You're stupid if you think water won't kill you. You'll be the one we read about that drown while the mower had you pinned down after sliding into the water and landing on top of you.

Floridalandcare
04-24-2011, 09:22 PM
We maintain a large HOA in Trinity Florida that has about 50 drainage ponds . We use a 72 and 60 inch Lazer and a 60 inch Dixie . Cutting around ponds with steep banks holds a danger all to its self . Ive heard of people being trapped and drowing in 1 foot of water when the machine rolls over on them .
We line trim about 2-3 feet up the bank so the mowers dont have to get so close , this is time consuming though so you should bid the job accordingly . You will however get the machine{s} stuck espically in the morning when the grass is wet or after a rain ,on steep banks the tires slide and bam your stuck.Its easier to get a walk behind ou of a lake than it is a big rider. We get our machines stuck all the time no matter how careful we are and it can turn a long day into a really long day . Ill post some pics of my sunken Dixie ,

Chevy z71
04-24-2011, 09:49 PM
Put a truf tracer on it.

DLCS
04-24-2011, 10:05 PM

ZTRs are death traps near water, great care must be exercised as it only takes one time to get pinned under a mower and drown. Either string trim it, walk it, or get a stand on mower. Grass isn't worth the risk.

93Chevy
04-24-2011, 10:15 PM
Turf Tracers are great on hills, but I can also state that Snapper Pro SW20 48" walk behinds are excellent also...at darn near half the price. I think the rear tires on the Snapper are larger (18") than the Turf Tracer (17") but I might be wrong.