PDA

View Full Version : whos getting rained out daily?

lawnwizards
04-24-2011, 06:40 PM
i'm close. got rained out tuesday, wednesday, friday, and saturday. also there is a chance of rain everyday this week. my yards are gonna be 2 feet high by the time i get them done. anyone else feeling my pain?

LGL
04-24-2011, 06:42 PM
Sorry to hear that bud, think your region has been getting the gist of the storms lately, by the time it could get to us here in North Fla, its gone, but our everyday afternoon storms are coming very soon.

Puddle of Oil
04-24-2011, 07:02 PM
o ya same thing here! i have one lawn where its almost a lake. its just wont stop raining.

Frue
04-24-2011, 07:14 PM
o ya same thing here! i have one lawn where its almost a lake. its just wont stop raining.

So how are you guys handeling this. this also goes into billing issues, What is there going to be to bill for april. Do you cut and just make mud marks or what?

93Chevy
04-24-2011, 07:18 PM
We cut rain or shine...can't get behind schedule...

ARIENSNUT
04-24-2011, 07:20 PM
I wish, we have had around 1 inch since december. Im about to go broke.!

williams lcm
04-24-2011, 07:36 PM
Some guys dont mow in the rain. Some do. When it is heavy rain for me no. But nothing worse than getting behind. Or having to listen to a customer call and ask when you will be over to cut.It can stress you out. When you do catch up the grass is twice as long and will take longer to cut and trim ect. This year I am carrying a rain suit in my truck. When it rains I just cut, trim and go. No blow or edge.

Puddle of Oil
04-24-2011, 07:40 PM
So how are you guys handeling this. this also goes into billing issues, What is there going to be to bill for april. Do you cut and just make mud marks or what?

that is a really good question. im probably gonna get scremed at like i did last year. This is a 2 acer lawn and i cut it with a 52'' stand on. So it takes me one hour to just cut it under normal conditions. last year this same thing happend, it rained for two weeks before i could cut it. I needed help so i had another buddy use my 48'' lesco wb and together it took us 8 hours to get the lawn under control. needles to say the customer was not happy with the price so we settled for $200. this year i might demo a 72'' tiger when i mow it.

most of the lawns i have now are not that bad. we need one good clear day and i can cut it. but not this one.

CLARK LAWN
04-24-2011, 08:31 PM
how did 2 acres take 2 people 8 hours?

we totally soaked here also. i have some yards that are under water right now. only got 1 day of mowing in last week and this week aint looking much better.

to the guy that said he mows rain or shine, i'll bet your lawns look real good right now.

Mahoney3223
04-24-2011, 08:32 PM
We cut rain or shine...can't get behind schedule...

explain how you mow in a thunderstorm?

Mahoney3223
04-24-2011, 08:33 PM
that is a really good question. im probably gonna get scremed at like i did last year. This is a 2 acer lawn and i cut it with a 52'' stand on. So it takes me one hour to just cut it under normal conditions. last year this same thing happend, it rained for two weeks before i could cut it. I needed help so i had another buddy use my 48'' lesco wb and together it took us 8 hours to get the lawn under control. needles to say the customer was not happy with the price so we settled for $200. this year i might demo a 72'' tiger when i mow it.

most of the lawns i have now are not that bad. we need one good clear day and i can cut it. but not this one.

you ain't going to get cutter or pauls to let you demo a tiger buddy..i've bought new ones from both, they don't demo nothing unless your enviroscabs

93Chevy
04-24-2011, 08:34 PM
explain how you mow in a thunderstorm?

We don't...but we cut in rain.

Mahoney3223
04-24-2011, 08:35 PM
We don't...but we cut in rain.

we will work if it's a sprinkle or light rain but not a steady rain, and i could care less about getting behind schedule. we double bill if its out of control, its written in my contract. i'm not repairing 100 lawns because i was ancy to go do something.

93Chevy
04-24-2011, 08:38 PM
we will work if it's a sprinkle or light rain but not a steady rain, and i could care less about getting behind schedule. we double bill if its out of control, its written in my contract. i'm not repairing 100 lawns because i was ancy to go do something.

Okay...so we're different...

Mahoney3223
04-24-2011, 08:38 PM
so your telling me you will mow with your walk behind in pouring rain?

SouthSide Cutter
04-24-2011, 08:40 PM
Have got everything mowed the last three weeks. This next week really don't know yet . Have some that can not be cut just to wet this week. Some were on the edge last week and we got maybe 4 inches since cutting. No way they can be cut this week and not tear up the yard. Had everything looking good for Easter and I think most understand. And its still raining and gonna rain till Thursday they say.

Mahoney3223
04-24-2011, 08:42 PM
yeah we've gotten 3 days of work in, in the last 2 weeks. weather is just terrible. but that's ohio. we'll be in a burnout drought in 3 months like always. right now everything is just too wet

Puddle of Oil
04-24-2011, 08:43 PM
[QUOTE=CLARK LAWN;4002157]how did 2 acres take 2 people 8 hours? /QUOTE]

under equipped:hammerhead::hammerhead:*trucewhiteflag*

very tall thick grass that none of my two mowers can handle.:cry::cry:

93Chevy
04-24-2011, 08:44 PM
so your telling me you will mow with your walk behind in pouring rain?

So long as there's no lightning.

Additionally, I sold about 90% of my business and got a crew leader position at a large landscape/excavation company. My crew mows generally 1 HOA each day with a few small commercials on the way or way back. I'd rather work in the rain than work Saturday if I can help it. As long as we're literally not tearing up lawn areas, we cut. Just gotta be careful and go slow.

JayD
04-24-2011, 09:09 PM
Rained out here in Indy....I am getting a very bad feeling about all this rain, this is how last year started out and then we had a 3 month drought....hummm, I hope I'm wrong.

weeze
04-24-2011, 10:00 PM
it rained me out wed and thurs this week...i just worked longer on friday to make up for it..finished my last yard in the dark with the lights on

LilRabbit
04-24-2011, 10:10 PM
Only 2 weeks into clean ups and rain 4 days this coming week, last wednesday 8 inches of wet heavy snow. ( just melted but everything is very wet) Getting so far behind it is frusterating.

nobagger
04-24-2011, 10:15 PM
i'm close. got rained out tuesday, wednesday, friday, and saturday. also there is a chance of rain everyday this week. my yards are gonna be 2 feet high by the time i get them done. anyone else feeling my pain?

Yesterday (Saturday) was the only sunny day we've had in weeks it seems. We have 1 major clean up left and about 15 regular residentials to get done in a week or so. We've blown through all our commercial clean ups, we managed to get roughly 10 or so done but its been crappy every time. by that time the grass will be 8" tall. Break out the rain suit I guess and suck it up.

ohiogreenworks
04-24-2011, 10:22 PM
We have been doing very well getting things done on saturdays and sundays the last few weeks. We are only behind a mulch job or two but I think this week is going to be rough trying to stay on schedule. I have a feeling we are going to have a drought later this year and look back at all this rain and laugh :dizzy:

nobagger
04-24-2011, 10:29 PM
This weather pattern reminds me of the same pattern we had a few years ago, it rained just about every day in spring and then every wed.- sat. the rest of the season. Cold temps. and one hell of a winter to follow. We average around 100" of snow and that year we had somewhere around 150".

C6H12O6
04-24-2011, 10:59 PM
I have a feeling we are going to have a drought later this year and look back at all this rain and laugh :dizzy:

I was just thinking the same thing. July always comes around.

gebby
04-24-2011, 11:06 PM
In Ohio we are 5 inches above the yearly average. That statement was on the news earlier this week. By now that number could be 8 inches ? Only missed 2 last week due to cutting in between the rain drops. I cosider myself lucky. There were a few places where I left tracks. Hate to do it that way but, it's got to get cut or else.

Turf Commando
04-24-2011, 11:23 PM
This weather pattern reminds me of the same pattern we had a few years ago, it rained just about every day in spring and then every wed.- sat. the rest of the season. Cold temps. and one hell of a winter to follow. We average around 100" of snow and that year we had somewhere around 150".

It's not going to be a (Hot) year, colder air indicates a brutal winter (next season) trying get winter out of my mind...!

Frue
04-25-2011, 08:43 AM
yeah we've gotten 3 days of work in, in the last 2 weeks. weather is just terrible. but that's ohio. we'll be in a burnout drought in 3 months like always. right now everything is just too wet

So how do you handle the lack of biliable income? If you wait for them to dry you could be waiting three weeks? i dont know of any customer that will let you bill 3 weeks of mowing in one week? We are making a few mud marks but trying to keep them down so they are at least managable. It looks as though there will be know let up this week either. But hey its weather that can change in a blink of a eye.

I also am no dummy I remember back in 01 when we parked our trailer in june and did not pick it up sept. So i try never to complain about rain....

Groomer
04-25-2011, 11:46 AM
SW ohio stands at 10+ inches for April, wetest on record and not finished yet, looks to go over a foot+ for the month. I've got standing water in many lawns, the ground is saturated to the extreme. The thunder is rumbling to the west again as I type this, and I should be out mowing. All this after last summer's drought and heat. AHH, the life of a lawnsman!

R & R Yard Designs
04-25-2011, 01:18 PM
Done raining for about three hours then heavy rain all night. I need to get something done but can't, its way to wet out. But some guys are out making a mess out of everything. Have to plant tomorrow no matter what.
Posted via Mobile Device

XLS
04-25-2011, 02:08 PM
we have had 12 days all month across the state that has been clear and dry to get all of our lawns down . we got 2000 lawns done last week in a 2 day run that ended on saturday morning at 4 am we have had so much rain we have had more guys mowing with our string-trimmer setups then our mowers for the year we have been seeing tornado's and high wends and rains that have us at a near stand still .

If its a flood we mow untill our own body weight tears the grass or our body weight makes us sink in the lawns.

oneway or the other we get done but we also bill double if we get into the 10-14 day cycles which happends when you go string trimming 2 acre lawns

GrandMaster
04-25-2011, 02:37 PM

Yep but you need to still mow them.... The weather here is not hot and wont hurt lawn. Also make sure to really go easy and stance your tracks so you dont make ruts etc. Our toro turbo force decks will eat wet lawn all day long.

Creative Cuts
04-25-2011, 02:41 PM
haven't mowed all week and only 1 day last week, starting to get way behind

Groomer
04-25-2011, 03:26 PM
we got 2000 lawns done last week in a 2 day run that ended on saturday morning at 4 am

Wow, XLS, 2000 lawns in 2 days, impressive.

XLS
04-26-2011, 08:20 PM
not when you consider its 120 guys plus 80 more just call in helpers and 48 hours of work length it was about the same as 7000 man hours if the weather was good they would log 3000-3500 hours and we wouldnt have called in extra helpers and it would have been about 100 in the field labors.

Rockwell Landscaping
04-26-2011, 08:40 PM
What's rain?:)

R & R Yard Designs
04-26-2011, 08:44 PM
Rain until 2pm today off and on. Very bad storms are coming in tonight so they say.
Posted via Mobile Device

pressley10r
04-26-2011, 10:12 PM
You guys up north sound like you've had it rough here lately. It's not really been anything out of the ordinary here in the south, rained out a couple days last week, yelled at by a couple overly demanding customers, the usual springtime type thing.

Prestigelawncare
04-27-2011, 09:30 AM
Raining again in mid-Michigan and not to many dry days in sight. It averages 2.74in here in April and already at 4.1in and counting. With all the fertilizer down if the sun does ever shine I am going to have to break out and bail the grass it will be so high. I try to think of it like this.....3 months ago I was complaining about the snow and cold now its 50 and rain. In Michigan I cant mow snow so I guess rain is not all that bad!!

Dr.NewEarth
04-27-2011, 12:04 PM
We had a couple nice warm days on the Easter Weekend. Now we are back to
La ninja monsoon weather. I had to knock the downspout off the house as there
was so much water, it will wick back into the attic and soak the insulation.
(design flaw on an old house)

I'm outside of Vancouver BC and I have a large hoa client north of here in the mountains.
They are probably going to get hail and snow tomorrow.
It's landscape is fill ontop of where they blasted out of the granite mountain.
It doesn't drain well. I am not cutting, only trimming this week as it is like walking on a
dirty soaking wet sponge.

The weekend looks sunny again, but I'd rather have the sun on work days!

RSK Property Maintenance
04-27-2011, 08:46 PM
depending on your schedule, I would just cut unless your lawns turn into swamps when it rains, I don't have a lot of lawns and still cut if its a light rain or the lawns are still wet, I generally try to keep the grass off the road, driveway, walk way and patio so I have less blowing to do, but not that big a deal if I get some on the driveway, the back packs move water pretty quick.

mowerbrad
04-27-2011, 09:05 PM
The rain really hasn't been cooperating with me lately. I am supposed to get out and get a few clean-ups done but haven't been able to start them yet, so my work list just keeps getting longer and longer. I'm hoping next week the weather turns around.

The weather will clear up on Friday and Saturday, but I have a class all day Friday and I am working on the ambulance 7pm-7am on Saturday. So I can't work at all on Friday and I'm trying to take it easy on Saturday so I can stay awake while I work that night.

I can't seem to win.

stan the man
04-27-2011, 09:30 PM
we are doing the best we can rain left and right. lawn are under water. the clean up are not done. the lawns are getting to the point they are doing to have to be cut. one lawn i look at today is about 4 inches long all green and over half the lawn is 5 inches of water. you walk on the lawn and sink the account don't want it to be cut because all of the water. this could be my last year.today my new wife son. she has twins ask me if i could have more time with them this summer. i don't know what to do.

rreyn1812
04-28-2011, 07:08 AM
Rained here for the past three days and we probably picked up around 6 inches. Will mow for the next three days before we get more on Sunday. Will start today on my hilly properties that drain the best and give the others a little more time to get into condition to mow. Gotta git a weeks work of mowing done in 3 days, so will call in help for Saturday. Hopefully will get everything done before more rains comes. :):)

bscill
04-28-2011, 08:39 AM
Since last Friday we have had a total of 10.06" of rainfall and now we are dealing with flooding. Haven't mowed since last thursday. Here is a few pics from Western KY.
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k207/bscill/backyard.jpg
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k207/bscill/Sideyard.jpg

Mike Fronczak
04-28-2011, 09:19 AM
We aren't is as bad shape as the guy above, but I haven't touched a lawn yet, still way to wet. We had 30 inches more snow than average & then April broke the record for rainfall. As mentioned above the loss of revenue will hurt but not as bad as repairs from getting stuck, or loss of customers. Excess clippings will disappear faster than damage or mud tracks. Luckily we do ALOT of snow work.

mcw615
04-28-2011, 10:04 AM
Weather conditions is a big reason why three years ago for residential accounts I made the decision to only offer contracts, so the income is steady and you do not loose a weeks income etc. We have a bit of a larger overhead, we operate out of a shop and office, and with that comes plenty of expenses that as well have to be factored in the eight month season to pay those costs and utilities twelve months of the year. The only way to catch up is to unfortunately cut corners, not edge and simply just cut the grass. Charging weekly customers would complain when you are charging them full price of a mowing but skipping half the work. After switching to contracts we do not get that much of complaints, but generally the customers understand, you get more complaints when you can't service all of your accounts because your trimming/edging every account than you do skipping those. We are a bit behind on all of our landscape and hardscape projects as well, it has been a rough last two weeks. As far as mowing in the rain, if it is a steady rain in the morning or a 1/3 to 1/2 an entire day it generally is not feasible to have employees come in load up and work for a few hours, as it takes approximately two to three times longer to service accounts, you have clumps of grass and make too much of a mess. Now if they are forecasting rain some point in the day, we will have the crews mow as long as possible even in the rain until it becomes too wet where you are clumping grass, etc. Hope everyone hangs in there.

Showpropserv
04-28-2011, 10:10 AM
shop work all week here looks to be along long weekend

LawnGuy73
04-28-2011, 10:47 AM
Raining here...... Again!

LawnGuy35
04-28-2011, 12:24 PM
Bscill, why not row your string trimmer out to the patch that's sticking out of the water and go to town on it? Then send the homeowner an invoice for the work and post their reaction here.

Seriously, I hope things clear up soon and you guys can get some work done.

bscill
04-28-2011, 02:57 PM
LawnGuy35, It is actually sunny here today and the forecast is to be that way til Sunday and we are to get another 2 inches. To wet today to do anything today, Friday and Saturday are gonna be 2 busy days. I am going stir crazy.

TJSTONE
04-28-2011, 03:39 PM
I mow in between storms, if the ground isn't too soft. I tell my customers why and what I'm doing to keep them happy. We here have had the wettest spring in recent memory.

XLS
04-30-2011, 06:14 PM
I hope the rain is over we didnt hit a lawn one untill 2 pm yesterday and everyone is working tomorrow too.

TJSTONE
05-01-2011, 11:27 AM
We don't get rain like you guys, thankfully. We did have sleet Friday AM. Got to finish everyone by 9PM. O the joys of the business owner. Forecast says temps in the 70's next week.

MowHouston
05-01-2011, 03:31 PM
I'll trade you my drought for your rain.

TJSTONE
05-01-2011, 08:35 PM
Our answer is irrigation. Too often we have too little snow and rain and water is short.

Classic Cuts Lawn Service
05-03-2011, 07:32 PM

I was feeling your pain last week. Half of the week all it did was rain almost non-stop. Wasn't able to mow til later in the week.

Exact Rototilling
05-04-2011, 12:14 AM
My favorite android app is "rainy days" loads faster than the older version. Going to buy a bravo 25 mower so I can mow in the wet.
Posted via Mobile Device

XLS
05-05-2011, 04:28 PM
you guys have had it easy in the past few days we have been saving some of our locations in the memphis,dyersburg areas after the flood has got 3 of our shops its a sad time here.
they are thinking by the end of the week we could end up closing another of our locations for repairs ect

beachlandscapes
05-18-2011, 07:04 AM
It has rained every single day in the last month except 1. We can't get anything done. I can't even get a push mower on my customer's lawns without tearing them up. This is the worst spring in Northeast Ohio I have seen in my life. We are weedeating parts of my lawns more than anything

Groomer
05-18-2011, 09:00 AM
another rain stat-we've only had 35 days the entire year that were totally percipitation free.

siklid
05-18-2011, 09:06 AM
Here on Long Island its been raining on and off for 3 days.The lawns are at there max.Just gotta wait until it dries up a bit.Doing a 60x100 prop can sometimes take an hour to do cleaning clumps and the rest of the mess.So I do Mondays work Thursday.Th e up an coming weeks I back them off a day to get back on schedule

S-205
05-18-2011, 10:54 AM
We've had 6 solid days of rain or mist. We have a client with a 40 acre property, with about 10 acres of grass that we maintain. It sits over the shallow parts of the water table. So where the water table rises through the rocks, the grass is just drowned. Makes it hard to get anything done. Rest of the jobs need to be atleast cut and trimmed, and bagged. I hate bagging...

nightshutter
05-18-2011, 12:00 PM
Saw the forecast here for the next seven days. 6 out of 7 are rain! :cry:

SECTLANDSCAPING
05-18-2011, 04:03 PM
same here monday till saturday storms. Might squeeze a few mows in if it lightens up. Im getting backed up because of the weather.

ZMAX
05-18-2011, 05:19 PM
i stopped by a house today that had a foot of standing water, they won't be able to mow it til july

Mahoney3223
05-18-2011, 06:43 PM
haven't gotten one day in this week yet due to the never ending rain and wetness. everytime i think about maybe we can get something done...thunderstorm or random downpour

lawnkingforever
05-18-2011, 07:26 PM
Two days behind right now and the growth of the grass is unbelievable. If I ever get caught up I am switching many lawns to twice a week mowings. I could mow many yards every other day because of the growth.

XLS
05-22-2011, 12:26 PM
lawnkings you got to much nitrogen by the sounds of it

93Chevy
05-22-2011, 01:25 PM
lawnkings you got to much nitrogen by the sounds of it

He's in the same boat as we are. I'm cutting at 5" and knocking up to 6" of growth each week. Not in all areas, but some places...it's pure torture. I want to kill myself at the end of the day.

XLS
05-22-2011, 06:53 PM
i can imagine, we had weeks of rainlast month and a half and it was insane ,luckly our apps are low nitrogen and low growth i say by next week it will start to hurt us if it dont rain again.

lawnkingforever
05-22-2011, 08:32 PM
He's in the same boat as we are. I'm cutting at 5" and knocking up to 6" of growth each week. Not in all areas, but some places...it's pure torture. I want to kill myself at the end of the day.

More rain coming this week. I was going to head up to camp this coming weekend, looks like I will be mowing instead.

ZMAX
05-22-2011, 08:37 PM
OK this is getting a little ridiculous. the rain the last 2 months has been something i've never seen before. no one can mow, we can't use our riders to fert lawns, some golf courses have had to shut down because they can't get the grass cut and we are looking at another 2 inches of rain this week and the extended forecast has another 2 inches coming next monday and tuesday.

this is so frustrating.

Deputy_Swan
05-22-2011, 09:41 PM
Rain for last 4 days ):

bare spot
05-22-2011, 10:35 PM
heard we were close to the wettest spring on record (think it comes out to over 200% over nomal).

93Chevy
05-22-2011, 10:49 PM
Why do I still do this? I don't even own my own business anymore and I'm more stressed than I was last year.

QualityLawnCare4u
05-22-2011, 10:55 PM
Rain? Rain? What is that stuff? I am tired of choking on dust on every yard,EOW clients are calling and asking me to skip, yards that I have not mowed in a month do not even mowing. We can't beg, borrow, or buy a dam drop of rain here! Please send us some!:rolleyes:

XLS
05-25-2011, 12:38 PM
sounds like a good time to push for irrigation there QualityLawncare4u

OmegaRed
05-25-2011, 01:52 PM
I was just about to open another thread. I have one account where we can mow on part of the yard, but not the back. We got a chance to use a WB and streak it, then had to cut about an acre and a half with string trimmers. I went last week to do it again (it's about 8" high right now) and it's sopping wet standing water in places. We trimmed half of it, but I'm not about to be out there spending 2 hrs every week string trimming.

What would you guys do? I don't even think a handheld push mower would make it through

Ridge89
05-25-2011, 02:15 PM
rained out here too... rain is good to a certain extent...

XLS
05-25-2011, 02:16 PM
we call about 12 additional people and they string trimmer everything in need .... rained here again today, just enough to pizz you off. we may send out crews at 5 but have to wait and see still

Mark Oomkes
05-25-2011, 02:18 PM
Uncle............