PDA

View Full Version : MJB's slope mower

tacoma200
04-24-2011, 08:11 PM
Just thought I would repost MJB's older pictures of a bank he cuts with a push mower. Any guesses at the degree or percentage of slope? How would you tackle it? Hope it was OK to repost these MJB?

Trucklover
04-24-2011, 08:51 PM
about 60 degrees?

93Chevy
04-24-2011, 08:56 PM
The push mower on the rope looks to be the best way, but I could imagine very time consuming. Depending on your staff, I'd try to get 3-4 guys with spin trims to bang it out quickly. Or maybe a guy with the rope mower and a couple other guys whipper snipping. That would be a tough job and you'd have to keep with it so it didn't get out of control.

BOSCHERT LAWN CARE
04-24-2011, 09:26 PM
50-55* i would hit it with a trimmer and 2 extra sets of hands to knock down the time

MJB
04-24-2011, 10:33 PM
We did it for years with string trimmers but after many falls and several close calls I decided to pay someone for 6 hrs on the slope mower. This is part of a large HOA that takes me and my wife about 5 hrs anyway to mow an trim. Then I work on sprinklers and pumps etc so it works out better. It also looks much better looking down after it mowed this way compared to string trimmers.

MJB
04-24-2011, 10:36 PM
Oh yea, Before anyone says 6 hrs........ the pictures show about 1/2 of it, it's twice as long and has more crap to mow around on the other end.

THEGOLDPRO
04-24-2011, 10:37 PM
there has to be an easier way....

weeze
04-24-2011, 10:43 PM
i used to work for a guy many years ago and we had a slope to mow...it was steep but i dunno how it was in comparison to yours...we mowed it with a walkbehind going up and down rather than side to side...i actually rode the sulky on it too lol...seems to be an area at the bottom that's flat so you can turn around easily.

MJB
04-24-2011, 10:46 PM
there has to be an easier way....

It's only once per month so I can just call the a company that sends out a laborer , they send me a bill , they pay the laborer and L&I etc. While he's busting his rear I have plenty to do to keep busy and keep an I on him. So it works for us, plus I don't have to do it anymore.

MJB
04-24-2011, 10:50 PM
i used to work for a guy many years ago and we had a slope to mow...it was steep but i dunno how it was in comparison to yours...we mowed it with a walkbehind going up and down rather than side to side...i actually rode the sulky on it too lol...seems to be an area at the bottom that's flat so you can turn around easily.

We tried that but if the operator slips going up the hill the mower flips over backwards with blades turning not good. Plus the retaining wall above the lake gives you about 4 ft to 6 ft at the bottom before you get wet.

weeze
04-24-2011, 10:55 PM
yeah like i said i have no idea how steep the hill is...we never had any problems with tipping on the hill i was doing and i used the sulky so i wasn't walking...it all came down to the grip of the tires and they never would spin on the hill i was doing....hey at least if something did go wrong you could just roll down the hill and have a soft landing "splash"!

MJB
04-24-2011, 11:05 PM
yeah like i said i have no idea how steep the hill is...we never had any problems with tipping on the hill i was doing and i used the sulky so i wasn't walking...it all came down to the grip of the tires and they never would spin on the hill i was doing....hey at least if something did go wrong you could just roll down the hill and have a soft landing "splash"!

I had a 36 inch Scag with a sulky but like I said it would flip over backward and did once. It was to steep tp pull the sulky up. There was a few areas I used it but overall it looked worse and just was to dangerous. I caught it after it flipped over backwards several time from the top down. The operator had to push hard to keep the front down when he slipped I was close by and saved it. I grabbed it half way over the retaining wall. I'm not gonna risk it. I wish I had one of those remote control hillside mowers but $11,000 is to steep.

weeze
04-24-2011, 11:34 PM
maybe use the walkbehind and tie a rope to the front of it and have someone stand at the top of the hill and pull to hold the front end down lol

MJB
04-24-2011, 11:50 PM
maybe use the walkbehind and tie a rope to the front of it and have someone stand at the top of the hill and pull to hold the front end down lol

Either that or maybe some goats.....No that won't work they would probably eat everything but the bank grass. Oh well I give up , back to the M.O.R. for now.

alexschultz1
04-25-2011, 12:01 AM
your a genius for hiring out and not having to worry about it, i have been mowing a similar property and string trimming everything. maybe like 4 hours compared to 6 but still... the other week i slipped and took a rock right into the tailbone, i found out that its not to fun to have a bruised tail bone and sit down on a bumpy a** ztr for 6 hours.

Brodie
04-25-2011, 12:13 AM
Its a remote control mower designed to work on slopes like that. It also has a winch system for the harder stuff.

Probably a bit of an expensive investment if you dont do a lot of big slopes but hey its just another option to think about.

tacoma200
04-25-2011, 12:13 AM
your a genius for hiring out and not having to worry about it, i have been mowing a similar property and string trimming everything. maybe like 4 hours compared to 6 but still... the other week i slipped and took a rock right into the tailbone, i found out that its not to fun to have a bruised tail bone and sit down on a bumpy a** ztr for 6 hours.

It's hard to get someone to do this kind of work. I'm 48 and the 20-30 year olds I hire can't handle it so I end up doing a lot to this myself. Thank goodness I can get most of it done with a Turf Tiger but the trimming is hard on the knees when doing slopes. I haven't found a good economical way to do this yet so I keep on trimming a lot of it, and a front wheel drive Toro helps alot.

ashgrove landscaping
04-25-2011, 12:28 AM
PITA but three or four passes from the bottom with the walk behind no sweat.

Richard Martin
04-25-2011, 04:51 AM
You guys aren't going to want to hear this but that slope averages about 35°.

MJB
04-25-2011, 10:35 AM

Where the mower is in the picture is the easiest part of the slope. My guess is between 35 to maybe 50 degrees in the steepest. You can not walk straight up the slope in 1st picture without putting your hands down on the slope in front of you, without cleats on your shoes. Where the mower is you can walk up and down it a lot easier. The kids in the summer will sit and slide down the bank in the first picture, and they don't stop until they hit the bottom. I've slipped trimming the top and slid hard and fast to the bottom too, not that much fun whatever the degree of slope it is.

tacoma200
04-25-2011, 10:56 AM

That's what I was thinking Richard. I cut some slopes up hill that are probably around 25° and this is somewhat steeper than that. 35° sounds about right. There are some parts that look steeper.

Richard Martin
04-25-2011, 12:34 PM
My guess is between 35 to maybe 50 degrees in the steepest. You can not walk straight up the slope in 1st picture without putting your hands down on the slope in front of you, without cleats on your shoes.

That's the way 35° is. If you're not a big fan of NASCAR then you've probably never seen a race official try to walk up the 31° banks at Daytona and the 33° at Talledega. They are steep. I've seen vehicles slide down them before.

Tinkerer
04-25-2011, 01:44 PM
I once lived on a dead end road. People who lived in the end had a view looking down on a curving road and highway. One guys back yard was literally near vertical. He used a push mower, a lot of rope and their car or SUV to go back and forth while a 2nd person guided it. He used cheap mowers and I'm guessing they didn't last long. I'd do what God does, just let the grass grow and leave it alone.

MJB
04-25-2011, 04:06 PM
That's the way 35° is. If you're not a big fan of NASCAR then you've probably never seen a race official try to walk up the 31° banks at Daytona and the 33° at Talledega. They are steep. I've seen vehicles slide down them before.

Yea I watch nascar for yrs too. When I standing in the steepest section I try to picture verticle and then cut it in 1/2 which is 45 and it seem closer to 45 degrees in places and 35 where the mower is. Whats the easiest way to check it?

Richard Martin
04-26-2011, 03:19 AM
Whats the easiest way to check it?

I put one of these on my longest mower or a 4 foot level.

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/370x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_277.jpg

http://www.harborfreight.com/dial-gauge-angle-finder-34214.html

The longer the reference the more accurate the reading.

KINGMADE
04-26-2011, 03:42 AM
talk to the HOA... kill it all. Plant some ground cover and f it.

MJB
04-26-2011, 10:47 PM
talk to the HOA... kill it all. Plant some ground cover and f it.

Thats been talked about several times, the biggest problem is finding something that will choke out the weeds that will pop up. Plus they all have to like it. They tried that on another slope and it's a weed patch , so now they are looking at crown vetch which might work but it goes crazy. Any suggestions for ground cover that works in wa state?

ecurbthims
04-27-2011, 01:13 AM
an old two stroke lawnboy would be ideal,very lightweight,and can run on an angle without lubrication issues .