PDA

View Full Version : Exmark help please

Andy_
04-24-2011, 08:37 PM
I am going to buy a new Exmark to mow my 6 acre yard. Home use only and need advice as to a couple option questions. Thank you. Here are my wants/needs:

Want:
Reliable tough unit that will last for years.(Overkill for my home use is good IMO)
60" cut
most comfortable seat
best engine option
mulching kit
Gas engine

I was thinking the Exmark Lazer Z, X-Series would be my best option?

Questions:
If I go with the X-Series:
Which engine is best with the 60" cut?
Does the x-series come with the best deck?
Does this come with the best seat or do I have to order that?
Is the mulching kit OK, or would you advise against it?

tacoma200
04-24-2011, 08:46 PM
I am going to buy a new Exmark to mow my 6 acre yard. Home use only and need advice as to a couple option questions. Thank you. Here are my wants/needs:

Want:
Reliable tough unit that will last for years.(Overkill for my home use is good IMO)
60" cut
most comfortable seat
best engine option
mulching kit
Gas engine

I was thinking the Exmark Lazer Z, X-Series would be my best option?

Questions:
If I go with the X-Series:
Which engine is best with the 60" cut?
Does the x-series come with the best deck?
Does this come with the best seat or do I have to order that?
Is the mulching kit OK, or would you advise against it?
Hi Andy, for most people/home owners the 27 Kohler or 29 Kawasaki would do great. Yes the X series has the best deck though they are all good at Exmark. I would highly recommend the "Optional" full suspension seat if your ground is the least bit rough, the standard seat is rough to me anyway. The standard seat is great but not enough suspension for me. Few people mulch in Southern KY, not sure about Illinois, depends on your conditions, the Ultra Cut cuts grass into such small clippings I doubt you'll need a mulching kit. Hope this helps. Make sure to get a good demo, nothing like trying before you buy. You could save some money with the S series, great mowers also.

BOSCHERT LAWN CARE
04-24-2011, 09:21 PM
a 60" 27hp kohler e-series with the premium suspension seat would do it, for only $8500 or so but the x-series with a ss installed and a 29hp kaw would be nice

Andy_
04-25-2011, 12:16 AM
Thanks for the responses

jjurich
04-25-2011, 02:01 PM
I'm a home owner as well and had the same decision back in 2009. I mow a 3-4A lawn that is basically all one big hill. For me it came down to the Turf Tiger from Scag and the Lazer Z, both w/ 60" deck.

I thought the TT mowed the taller grass better, but didn't cut the clippings as fine. That velocity deck can cut some grass, but it was heavier, lower center of gravity, and I have a lot of clay in the yard around trees, so did more slipping and slidding w/ the TT. The 29 kohler EFI engine was also a bit under powered (bogged down) mowing my hills at the speed I wanted to mow.

The next laser Z exmark w/ the 29hp kawa motor was more nimble, cut the grass a bit better, (save the really over grown stuff) and gave me a more maniqured look that I found appealing. It didn't slip and slide as much as the TT in the wetter areas of the lawn. I thought the 29hp motor still bogged own a bit going up the hills, and I didn't want any regrets, so I bought the 34hp NLZ (new) and that baby has all the power I could ask for. It mows faster then my back can stand to sit in the seat. It is a beast!!!

But, it has bad heads and cam (under recall) and just started surging (3600rpm drop to 3300 rpm back and forth) after 30min or so under load. Not sure if that will be fixed w/ the recall as surging to me typically is carb/gas related. Have 111 hrs after 2 years. Tiny tach is sooo nice..

Other then the engine issue, I love the mower. Oh, but the 34hp drinks gas. God, almighty is drinks gas. 2g / hour, I think is what people have measured.

They didn't have the the efi/fuel injected kowler or kawa in 2009. Knowing what I know now about gas, I'd give up some power, mow a little slower and save some money on fuel. Course, if gas was still $2.50, I wouldn't care.

One last note. I really like the TT. I would have bought that and been happy if I didn't tear up the lawn so much (maybe driver error), but the 35HP vanguard special was over and it was more $ then my NLZ, but deep down I wanted that scag. It is a damn nice machine. More heavy duty then the NLZ in my opinion and oh so smooth.

Oh, and as tacoma mentioned, get the full suspension seat. Worth every penny. The NLZ'z ride rougher then the scags.

Previous mower was a 72" 24hp kubota zero turn (not a true zero turn, had 4 wheels). The NLZ cut mowing time down by 30-45m and cuts nicer (less scalping, faster blade tip speed).

Let me know if you have any ?'s, and you've come to a great board to research. Hope to have many care free years of mowing w/ this, just wish I could rig up a seat for my 4 year old to ride better. He's getting big enough, I have problems w/ the bars when I reverse w/ him on my lap :)

JJ

jjurich
04-25-2011, 02:14 PM
As to the mulching kit, I didn't get it. I thought the ultracut deck did a good enough job the majority of time. I did get the foot pedal door chute thing though and that is really nice mowing around pavement, mulch beds, etc.

JJ

JDiepstra
04-25-2011, 02:20 PM
Hi Andy. I have to say you have gotten some good advice and some bad. I have been mowing commercially for the last 4 years with a 23 hp 60" Lazer Z. I have found it to always have enough power in almost every possible situation. More power is always good, but you will suck down a lot more gas. I learned this the day my mower was down and I used a 27 hp mower. I would also strongly recommend the mulching kit if you have a lot of leaves. I mulched all of the leaves on all of my properties last year and they look great.

pugs
04-25-2011, 08:04 PM
Hi Andy. I have to say you have gotten some good advice and some bad. I have been mowing commercially for the last 4 years with a 23 hp 60" Lazer Z. I have found it to always have enough power in almost every possible situation. More power is always good, but you will suck down a lot more gas. I learned this the day my mower was down and I used a 27 hp mower. I would also strongly recommend the mulching kit if you have a lot of leaves. I mulched all of the leaves on all of my properties last year and they look great.

The 27HP one could have had higher lift blades or other things robbing extra power causing higher fuel consumption. For the most part 2 engines pulling the exact same load will use very similar amounts of fuel if they are somewhat close in HP.

Any particular reason you are set on Exmark? You may want to look at Ferris or Scag if you have any amount of bumpy terrain. Suspension will be better than an added on seat any day.

inukeu2
04-25-2011, 09:45 PM
Andy,

I think you can't go wrong with the Next Lazer. I was in a similar place last year and purchased the NLZ with 29 Kawi. I added the stripe kit and OCD as well as the jack setup for changing blades. It is an awesome machine. If I had to do it over I would have ordered the full ss. It will get rough on anything but a sheet of glass. The mulch kit will be handy but if you cut in any wet grass it will clump.

I too considered the TT. IT had a little long wheel base which I liked. It just turned out to be a better deal to get the NLZ.

As for fuel consumption these things all suck fuel. I could see a difference between 23hp and 34hp but you won't find an x-series with 23hp.

Andy_
04-25-2011, 09:46 PM
Went and looked/quoted the Exmark Lazer Z, X-Series with full suspension seat and mulching kit today. I'm OK with the price but....One of my friends called me and told me I should at least go take a look at the Kubota ZD326 Diesel.
I did go look and can get the ZD326 26hp diesel with the same options for about the same price as the exmark. Sorry for all the questions, but can anyone give me an opinion on that.

dtc0207
04-25-2011, 09:54 PM
I think you would be happier with Exmark 3 free hydro oil changes, less maintenance, you won't have to worry about diesel fuels, Exmark weights less, I think the Exmark has a better finish cut Kubota looks more like a bush hog cut it, everyone I know that has a Kubota says they have their places just not at their house they use them on the farm only, plus
Posted via Mobile Device

FuturePilot4u
04-26-2011, 11:27 PM
"You spared no expense"

944own
04-26-2011, 11:55 PM
I think you would be happier with Exmark 3 free hydro oil changes, less maintenance, you won't have to worry about diesel fuels, Exmark weights less, I think the Exmark has a better finish cut Kubota looks more like a bush hog cut it, everyone I know that has a Kubota says they have their places just not at their house they use them on the farm only, plus
Posted via Mobile Device

What are you talking about 3 free hydro oil changes. I just bought a exmark lzz 60 with the 29 kawi last week and they did not say anything about free hydro oil changes. Is this I should ask my dealer about.

tacoma200
04-27-2011, 12:01 AM
Went and looked/quoted the Exmark Lazer Z, X-Series with full suspension seat and mulching kit today. I'm OK with the price but....One of my friends called me and told me I should at least go take a look at the Kubota ZD326 Diesel.
I did go look and can get the ZD326 26hp diesel with the same options for about the same price as the exmark. Sorry for all the questions, but can anyone give me an opinion on that.

Well the diesel would probably last longer and use less fuel but I still think you would be happier overall with the Exmark. The balance, low maintenance, warranty, handling, and finish cut of the Exmark are top notch. The Kubota is probably a good machine but as you can see from the post on Lawnsite the Exmark is a much more popular, much more favored by LCO's. There has to be a reason. 5 year comsumer warranty has to be worth something.

Painting Stripes 11
04-27-2011, 12:24 AM
i have a 2010 next lazer z x series 60 inch with 29 hp. it has the most comfortable seat in the market i sat on them all! it has incredible striping ability u wont need a mulch kit. This is a bad ass machine

Painting Stripes 11
04-27-2011, 12:27 AM
and u get 3 free hydro oil changes at 500 1000 and 1500 hrs. when u buy the mower before u sign see if they"ll throw another set of blades in for free. Worked for me

944own
04-27-2011, 12:34 AM
I bought the mower last week and I got them to throw in a stripe kit. But never talked about hydro changes.

944own
04-27-2011, 12:36 AM
i have a 2010 next lazer z x series 60 inch with 29 hp. it has the most comfortable seat in the market i sat on them all! it has incredible striping ability u wont need a mulch kit. This is a bad ass machine

This is the machine I bought and I have been talking to another member in a thread about fuel consumption. Im assuming you have the kawi on it. How is it on fuel so far mine has 11 hours on it and it is killing me on gas. I ended up getting like 4 hours on 10 gallons of gas. The dealer told me it would get better when it gets broke in good. Have you had this problem.

Andy_
04-27-2011, 12:37 AM
and u get 3 free hydro oil changes at 500 1000 and 1500 hrs. when u buy the mower before u sign see if they"ll throw another set of blades in for free. Worked for me

I may be mistaken, but thought this offer was good for the first 5 years of ownership. If that's the case, I will not get to take advantage of it at all because I will put less than 100 hours on per year.

Painting Stripes 11
04-27-2011, 12:43 AM
On gas I really haven't been paying attention on, I just mow my list everyday. I mow a ton of apartments and some acreages I mow all day with it and fill it up the next day half way thru
Posted via Mobile Device

Painting Stripes 11
04-27-2011, 12:45 AM
The biggest place I mow is 450000 sq. Ft and we did some other apts before that and it still wasn't empty. Its like a new vehicle u got to brake it in
Posted via Mobile Device

tacoma200
04-27-2011, 12:45 AM

I'm a big Exmark fan, and the seat is comfortable and well made but the ride is rough. Even with a full suspension seat Exmark is one of the roughest riding mowers. If you live where the ground is very smooth this is no problem but there are many ZTR's that ride much better. That being said, I will probably get another Exmark but I will definitely have the full suspension seat. At least then it will be tolerable. Lazers are great machines but ride is less than acceptable. Even with the great seat. You may have "sat" on them all but I have rode hundreds of hours on most brands. Big difference. The Lazer will throw me out of the seat (literally) on the same lots that the Scag Turf Tiger, Ferris, or Hustler Super Z will handle with no problem. I've compared them side by side. I still give the Lazer a thumbs up in most area's. Ride apparently is not a priority at Exmark.

944own
04-27-2011, 12:50 AM
The biggest place I mow is 450000 sq. Ft and we did some other apts before that and it still wasn't empty. Its like a new vehicle u got to brake it in
Posted via Mobile Device

How many hours are on yours now. My other mower is a lesco 54 ztwo and it has a 23 kawi on it and does great on gas. Seems like I can mow all week on a tank. I know this is 6 more hp but maybe it will get better it sure cant get much worse i hope. I just filled up this evening and I am gonna keep a eye on the hour meter and see how it goes. Probably not tomorrow they are calling for rain all day. But they were calling for rain all day today and I ended up mowing 9 yards and one was about 5 acres.

dtc0207
04-27-2011, 01:10 PM
I may be mistaken, but thought this offer was good for the first 5 years of ownership. If that's the case, I will not get to take advantage of it at all because I will put less than 100 hours on per year.

At my dealership on the hydro change we do them at start of yr 2 second one at start yr 4 and last one on the last day warranty exmark doesnt care the hr count so I make sure my residental accounts get theirs to it is just a little over kill but makes them feel good

Andy_
04-27-2011, 01:59 PM
At my dealership on the hydro change we do them at start of yr 2 second one at start yr 4 and last one on the last day warranty exmark doesnt care the hr count so I make sure my residental accounts get theirs to it is just a little over kill but makes them feel good

That's great info to know. Thanks

delphied
04-27-2011, 02:47 PM

Exmark is the benchmark of commercial mowers. That means everyone else hopes theirs is as good as the Exmark. Having said that, what do you think about a Kubota over an Exmark ?

Andy_
04-27-2011, 04:24 PM
Exmark is the benchmark of commercial mowers. That means everyone else hopes theirs is as good as the Exmark. Having said that, what do you think about a Kubota over an Exmark ?

I liked the fuel savings and engine life of the diesel. I also liked the simplicity of build, direct drive. I did not like that everything had to be greased and was not sealed like on the exmark. I also was not a big fan of how high it sits. My biggest turn-off, was how jerky/tight it was when I test drove it.

I also have never seen a pro in my area using Kubota, but see them all the time with the Exmarks.

I greatly appreciate everyones responses as this is a substantial purchase and I'd like to have some insight from the professionals ahead of time.

jsslawncare
04-27-2011, 04:45 PM
Seems like a lot of homeowners and factory reps are on here.

Andy_
04-27-2011, 06:34 PM
Ordered the Exmark, it will be delivered tomorrow or Friday.
2011 Exmark Lazer Z, X-Series 60" 29hp EFI Kohler with full suspension seat and mulch kit. Also got a spare set of blades. 11,898.40 delivered full of gas.

Thanks everyone for you help!

tacoma200
04-27-2011, 08:04 PM
Ordered the Exmark, it will be delivered tomorrow or Friday.
2011 Exmark Lazer Z, X-Series 60" 29hp EFI Kohler with full suspension seat and mulch kit. Also got a spare set of blades. 11,898.40 delivered full of gas.

Thanks everyone for you help!

Congratulations on your fine purchase. I know you will get many years of satisfaction from this machine.