PDA

View Full Version : "Help With Mulch Installation"

MICHPLOWER
04-24-2011, 11:27 PM
Hi every, this will be my first year doing this full time I know how to charge and
I know how to figure out how much mulch that I need for each job, But how much mulch do you normally install 2" or 3"? I have some area's that have mulch from last year that the home owner installed and some with none, I heard when there's none you should put 3" but when there is some you should put 2". Sorry for such a long question.
Thanks in advance for any help or reply

dgw
04-24-2011, 11:35 PM
i hand toss until nicely covered

inch or 2

you dont want years of piled up old mulch

pdenney11
04-24-2011, 11:42 PM
We try to do 3" on all new installs. On most of our commercial properties the owners do not want to pay to have the 3 year old ugly mulch removed so we usually just do 1"-2" to cover the old stuff. They eventually end up with mulch 6"-7" deep in some spots but dont seem to care.

GunnPropertyServices
04-24-2011, 11:42 PM
2 inches over existing mulch, 3 or 4 over new areas it will be 2 to 3 once it settles in

lukemelo216
04-24-2011, 11:50 PM
good hardwood mulch will break down over the year. Each spring we take our mulch pro attchment and run it through all the beds to break up the mulch, then we mulch, and again in the summer and fall we break up the mulch. This allows it to break down faster since its not a solid chunk. Plus by doing this, it allows us to conserve on mulch in some areas more than others. When I go to a new property, i check mulch depths, if its consistant, fine we will break up, and topdress. If theres areas that are deeper than others, we will break up, move mulch around, and then spread and even amount around. It helps us utilize less mulch, and then actually help the landscape instead of just piling it up around plants and trees and next thing you know you have 6-8" of mulch.

Top dressing is 1.5-2" and new beds get 2" of compost and 3" of mulch.

MICHPLOWER
04-24-2011, 11:52 PM
Thanks every one for your help and replys

dgw
04-24-2011, 11:53 PM
good hardwood mulch will break down over the year. Each spring we take our mulch pro attchment and run it through all the beds to break up the mulch, then we mulch, and again in the summer and fall we break up the mulch. This allows it to break down faster since its not a solid chunk. Plus by doing this, it allows us to conserve on mulch in some areas more than others. When I go to a new property, i check mulch depths, if its consistant, fine we will break up, and topdress. If theres areas that are deeper than others, we will break up, move mulch around, and then spread and even amount around. It helps us utilize less mulch, and then actually help the landscape instead of just piling it up around plants and trees and next thing you know you have 6-8" of mulch.

Top dressing is 1.5-2" and new beds get 2" of compost and 3" of mulch.

i trying a new hardwood/compost blend this year, i like it so far

lukemelo216
04-25-2011, 12:00 AM
it has compost mixed in with it? That doesnt sound like something I would want to use. It would just have to much dirt showing and I think it wouldnt look right. The compost stuff I am talking about is when were doing a new bed or something. We work the soil to get it loose, rake out the large particles, put 2" of compost on it, till again, plant, and then mulch.

nobagger
04-25-2011, 12:01 AM
We're hopefully doing a big box store renovation and their specs. said 6" above curb lines, its already pushing that now from the excessive mulch used over the past couple seasons. So almost a foot of mulch total. I told the management unless we tack it down, it's going to be all over the parking lot the first big rain.

dgw
04-25-2011, 12:03 AM
it has compost mixed in with it? That doesnt sound like something I would want to use. It would just have to much dirt showing and I think it wouldnt look right. The compost stuff I am talking about is when were doing a new bed or something. We work the soil to get it loose, rake out the large particles, put 2" of compost on it, till again, plant, and then mulch.

yes, but it looks good

GMLC
04-25-2011, 10:04 AM
My estimates always say 2-3 inches of mulch. 2 inches over existing(if client doesn't want to pay for proper bed prep.) and 3" for new areas.

Darryl G
04-25-2011, 11:07 AM
I use a depth of 0.18 feet of mulch for refreshing beds. That's what I usually use in my caluculations anyway, and it comes out about right. Keep in mind that it depends on the density of the plantings. A heavily planted bed isn't going to take as much mulch as a wide open bed with sparse plantings. But using a depth of 0.15 to 0.2 feet should put you in the right ballpark.