PDA

View Full Version : Calculated cut wastes

SDLandscapes VT
04-24-2011, 10:29 PM
Gentlemen

I am in the process of bidding a sidewalk of 93 ft^2--client wants Pine Hall Brick English Edge full range clay pavers--herringbone pattern with soldier course on both margins. Walkway is a gentle curve inside edge 22' and outside 28 1/2'. Walkway is 4' wide. Generally we use mixed medium products meaning different soldiers to surface bricks (ex techo hera soldiers to elena pavers) and I can buy in layers. I calculate soldiers and surface add 10% to account for cutting waste and end up with very few extras. English edge is a non stock item and comes in 110 sf cubes or ~10% waste for the entire walkway.

Options:

Gamble and go for it
Shrink walkway to 40" or 42" width
Order 2nd cube

Thoughts??

DVS Hardscaper
04-24-2011, 11:17 PM
This post lost me.

What is "medium products"?

What is "surface"?

Are you making up your own lingo?

And what exactly are you axing?

I factor 10% waste. Except some of the pavers (arbel, blu) I may do 15% for vaious reasons.

I buy the qty to how the math works out. If we have to buy full cubes, then we have to buy full cubes.

Also, I state material allotments in the proposal. If we exceed those allotments - then thats additional charges. This is somthing I learned from the builder of my house.

vtscaper
04-25-2011, 10:37 PM
just get the extra cube and sell another pine hall job..

go big or go home aaron lol

SDLandscapes VT
04-26-2011, 07:15 AM
client says...buy second cube we ll make the walkway wider. problem solved. Charlie wants to know when you re going to buy that wet saw Chris.....you don't and I will eventually..

DVS Hardscaper
04-26-2011, 06:50 PM
Aaron, I'm stihl wonderin what a "medium product" is!

SDLandscapes VT
04-26-2011, 07:08 PM
perhaps to consider myself as an artist is a stretch.... from dictionary.com medium n. the material or technique with which an artist works: the medium of watercolor.

medium a material so mixed medium ie hera and elena rather than elena alone or hera alone

"surface" pavers to delineate from soldier pavers

All set client is going to widen walkway to justify second cube.

Sometimes I wonder AH if you keep busy enough. Friend of mine in Fredericksburg VA is looking for a good hardscaper/landscaper to work with on custom building projects PM me if you have suggestions or if you work that far afield.

vtscaper-Chris--took me this long to sell a PHB job so not too keen on sitting on that inventory.

DVS Hardscaper
04-26-2011, 07:42 PM
Sometimes I wonder AH if you keep busy enough. Friend of mine in Fredericksburg VA is looking for a good hardscaper/landscaper to work with on custom building projects PM me if you have suggestions or if you work that far afield.

Contrary to what it may seem, I keep TOO busy! My day starts anywhere from 4:30 am to 6 am, and ends around 11:30 pm! I have 3 trucks in need of brakes, and no time to do them.

zedosix
04-26-2011, 09:14 PM
Contrary to what it may seem, I keep TOO busy! My day starts anywhere from 4:30 am to 6 am, and ends around 11:30 pm! I have 3 trucks in need of brakes, and no time to do them.

thats what winter time is for Andrew!