PDA

View Full Version : ever look at your equipment and think. I AM THE MAN!!

alexschultz1
04-25-2011, 12:10 AM
yep so i just had one of those moments where i looked outside and saw my brand new truck, a trailer full of the highest quality equipment money can buy, and then saw a friend of mine drive by in his 94 accord.. all i could think of was, "damn ive worked my ass off but ill be damned if im not a badass right now" :cool2: cocky as hell i know but its good to be cocky sometimes lol

punt66
04-25-2011, 12:13 AM
Not for things i buy. For things i design and build. Yes.

nobagger
04-25-2011, 12:23 AM
I love/hate it when some people (mostly friends) bust em for you because you have nice equipment and a successful business. I had one friend who every time I saw him he would just poke and poke until we finally had kind of a blow out because of it. Or the "oh must be nice to have xyz stuff", but have no idea how much you worked your ars off for it.

nobagger
04-25-2011, 12:25 AM
Forgot to mention....Its nice to be proud about things but being prideful is a sin.

Turf Commando
04-25-2011, 12:27 AM
I love the finer things in life, but I can't take it with me...

Angelo585
04-25-2011, 12:31 AM
I love/hate it when some people (mostly friends) bust em for you because you have nice equipment and a successful business. I had one friend who every time I saw him he would just poke and poke until we finally had kind of a blow out because of it.

I feel exactly what you're saying, I had family members stop talking to me because of being successful, even being humble and generous was not enough for jealous family and friends to act like children, I really don't get it, but i don't have time to worry about it either, italian families are so drama filled... lol!

weeze
04-25-2011, 12:43 AM
i never think "i am the man" because it can all disappear in seconds...rather if i have nice things i am thankful that i was able to obtain them.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
04-25-2011, 12:48 AM
i never think "i am the man" because it can all disappear in seconds...rather if i have nice things i am thankful that i was able to obtain them.

Good way to think about it....

Or sometimes I think "man, how much money do I have tied up into this stuff??"

rain man
04-25-2011, 12:54 AM
Nothing wrong with enjoying the fruit of your labor. It would be most drearysome indeed if there were no reward in it. As we all know though, life can deal some bad cards. Enjoy it while you've got it and endure when you don't. Either way, we've got to make the best of it.

topsites
04-25-2011, 01:18 AM
No, not really.

RLS24
04-25-2011, 01:29 AM
such a statement can sometimes be followed by "I AM IN DEBT UP TO MY EYEBALLS!"

I tend to go out and look at all my stuff and think to myself that I am: a) very grateful for the halfway decent equipment that I have, b) its all paid for and there is not nor was there ever a loan out for any piece of equipment, trailer, or vehicle that I own, c) I remember a time not long ago when I was pushing a 17-year old WB up ramps into the back of a busted-ass Ford pickup cutting like 10 lawns a week and can appreciate what I have now.

Exact Rototilling
04-25-2011, 01:42 AM
No, not really.

:laugh: ...my first thought.

What I usually think is dang...."I certainly don't have a nice new truck ...yeah I have a pretty Gucci graphic'ed up enclosed trailer probably the nicest enclosed in the area....FWIW [branding etc.] :sleeping: my Plugr 850's pull a ton of plugs...then I think... A BIG FAT "BFD" my other biz nets me more money for far less trouble and more profits....WT? .....then I think about if I had bought Silver Bullion at under $10 and ounce instead of all this goofy equipment how I could pay CASH for a NICE house 100% paid for debt free including the Super Cub in my Avatar. :cry::hammerhead::cry:

I've had to eat a fair amount of humble pie in my time. Even if I stumbled onto explosive hassle free turn key growth combined with customers wanting to pay me $3 a minute. Still no.

Richard Martin
04-25-2011, 04:38 AM
All I know is now I am happy. I spent the last 5 years living in a house I hated, in a place I hated. It was a lot of work selling my old house, dealing with all of the issues and dealing with the financial issues that the seller of the house that I bought had. My real estate agent said she had never had a client before me that would jump all over problems and get them solved so fast.

Do I have the newest equipment and bright shiney new truck? Nope. But I have worked really hard for what I do have. I would like to replace my truck but I don't have enough confidence in the current economy to take that chance. Although my newest commercial mower is a 2005 I'm not interested in replacing any of them right now. They're all in excellent shape and it would make no sense to replace perfectly functioning equipment.

ALC-GregH
04-25-2011, 08:40 AM
I'd like to be debt free one day. I try to be humble as much as possible. I was getting close to being debt free but now my truck engine blew up and I have to borrow to get another truck. I was going to save up the season to get one and was hoping the old one would last. Maybe next year I can get there.

thomask
04-25-2011, 08:44 AM
Always remember, God can giveth, and God can taketh away. Be humble, because as someone else already said, it can be stripped from you in seconds. Be thankful, not prideful. Just my 2 cents.

hackitdown
04-25-2011, 09:00 AM
I look at it and think about how much I could sell it for. Cash in and hit the beach.

elitelawnteam1
04-25-2011, 09:20 AM
italian families are so drama filled... lol!

Agreed! I know what you mean!:laugh:

CLARK LAWN
04-25-2011, 09:39 AM
nope. my work trucks are 14& 17 years old. my equipment is all 4-9 years old. i would rather put money into me house and personal life than try to impress people with all shiny new equipment that isnt any better than what i already have.

LawnGuy35
04-25-2011, 09:55 AM
Most "professional" lawn guys would probably chuckle at my stuff. I have a small, enclosed trailer (paid for), two Troy Bilt 21 inch mowers (paid for), an Echo string trimmer (paid for), and an Echo blower (paid for). For cleanups, I do it the old fashioned way with a rake (of course, paid for)...I'll use my blower if necessary. And my company "truck" is actually my SUV.

I'm a solo operator and mow part-time. My "office and shop" is my home's garage and driveway. I have 12 residential customers and 3 commercial customers. I keep my equipment clean and maintained, and I sharpen my blades 1-2 times a week. I have liability insurance and also have my trailer and vehicle insured, and have my DBA through the state.

My rates are in line with, and in some cases higher than, the big boys. I know this because I've done plenty of research on them.

My point? While I don't look at my stuff and say "wow, I'm bad a--," I can at least look in the mirror and say I'm making some good money without being up to my neck in debt with equipment I don't need.

GMLC
04-25-2011, 09:56 AM

I agree, I finished a spring clean up last week with fresh mulch, edging, etc. etc. for a new client. The look on the clients face made my day. They couldnt believe how good their yard looked!!

greenstar lawn
04-25-2011, 10:19 AM
here's the deal i'm the best there is plain and simple I wake up in the morning I piss excellence and nobody can hang with my stuff ugh you know i'm just a big hairy American winning machine you aint first you're last.:laugh:

JB1
04-25-2011, 10:24 AM
no but I look at my wife and kids and say, I'm very lucky and blessed.

PerfectEarth
04-25-2011, 10:30 AM
....silly thread.

White Gardens
04-25-2011, 10:33 AM
First off my equipment is all bought used so I can save a ton of money for each piece I buy.

Yes, I sometimes look at my stuff and think it took a lot of hard work to get it.

But, like other said I'm grateful for everything else I have in my life such as family, friends and my health.

In the end it's all just a hunk of metal that depreciates and has no real value once you wear it out.

I'd rather have my house paid off or keep investing any of the extra money I make instead of buying new shiny stuff.

One other local guy made the comment one time, "it doesn't have to look good, it just has to make you money."

alexschultz1
04-25-2011, 01:02 PM
Well I'm 22 and don't have a house payment or a family but I do have a lot to be proud about. Like my own charity and being a successful business owner with a college degree. All I'm saying is that life is good for me right now because I feel like I have been delt some very bad hands in the past couple years and I've come out on top
Posted via Mobile Device

grassman177
04-25-2011, 01:08 PM

pretty much the way i think too, but about my work itself i look at it that way ona lot of properties cuz they look amazing when we are done. that is strong self worth in a dif form. however, i never think i am the best i can be without constantly striving for more, and more. I have a word that cant be used when talking about me in any way..........complacent(cy)

watatrp
04-25-2011, 02:01 PM
It certainly is nice to have all the nice equipment, nice new truck, enclosed trailer, etc. Been there done that. I've done this "lawncare" thing for a while now and have found much more satisfaction in other areas. My house is paid for, I've got four paid for vehicles, two out of three kids thru college with no debt, some money for retirement, and a collection of the best and most profitable accounts a guy could ask for. I see a nice new diesel truck driving down the road and I say, "I want it", but then I come back down to reality and remember that there are only two parts of my mower that touch the ground, the rubber and the blades. It's a very simplistic view of what I do but I'll tell you what, owing money to no one sure does make life real simple too.

alexschultz1
04-25-2011, 05:12 PM
im definatly aiming to become you one day watarp

weeze
04-25-2011, 07:26 PM
debt free is definately the way to be if at all possible...some things like buying a house it's almost impossible to be debt free....perhaps renting is the answer in the times we live in...can't even sell a house for what you paid for it hardly anymore...my parents have sold 3 houses in their life and got double or more of what they paid for them...times sure have changed lol

grassman177
04-25-2011, 07:33 PM
very close to being debt free(save the mortgage, it is a necessary evil imo). i am gonna try hard to stay that way too(personal life)

our(my dads, then ours) business is debt free and has been along time. that is something to be very proud of i think. that is a hard place to get too as well

beegreenlandcare
04-25-2011, 07:48 PM
My friends, I think you all need to look at a bigger picture. As mentioned, it can all be taken from u. Many different reasons. I myself a victim of divorce (recently-not ALL but 1/2 was hers). What about poor health? Taxes? Fire-if you think insurance will leave u good your mistaken. Tornado, we know how those like to pick & choose their victims. Alot of this **** is far beyond your control so don't say "I've made better choices than the next guy" and I'll never end up there.
2 years ago my biz peaked, nice shop, plenty of work, good equipment, profitable clients. Now i have 1/2 the clients and am scratching for work in a poor economy. I'll work back up, but will never enjoy the "boon" that I once had when I started this biz (thanks you &*%$# lowballers).
Just saying, nevr get too full of yourself b/c it can all go down the drain thru no fault of your own:cry:

Zak's Pro. Lawn Care
04-25-2011, 07:54 PM
I love the finer things in life, but I can't take it with me...

not trying to hijack the thread but TURFCOMMANDO where did you get the signs for the trailer ramp in your picture? and what are they made of?

nobagger
04-25-2011, 07:59 PM
here's the deal i'm the best there is plain and simple I wake up in the morning I piss excellence and nobody can hang with my stuff ugh you know i'm just a big hairy American winning machine you aint first you're last.:laugh:

LOL Love that movie! I watch it in my golden fleece diapers :laugh:

jsslawncare
04-25-2011, 10:19 PM
I think "Man I bet he's got some nice payments!" I'm wore out and so is the equitment.

meets1
04-25-2011, 10:31 PM
There is something for new or newer equipment. I trade/sell/ or just get new often. My wife hates it but I am always turning a machine over. No donwtime, or less thereof i should say, usually dealer is right on the spot if something arises vs 2000hour machine it may sit a little alonger than I like.

Trucks - same thing. I buy everything new. I have 03 - 11 trucks. I run them till 125 - 150K then replace. Trailers same thing - always painting some trailer during the winter - keep them looking good - when time comes I have a list of guys who would like a good used trailer for weekend warrior work.

Yes it takes money but money needs to work for you as well. I know some guys that buy new and after the first week there equipment looks like junk! My guys have a wash day, things are not always spit shining clean but we maintain things well.

Southern Pride
04-25-2011, 10:31 PM
yeah I think it all the time I've been through the problems with friends too. I'm slowly growing out of the friends I got. They're not very ambitious nor can they hold a job and look at me like I'm spoiled which I've worked hard and paid for everything in full.
Posted via Mobile Device

alexschultz1
04-25-2011, 10:32 PM
yeah I think it all the time I've been through the problems with friends too. I'm slowly growing out of the friends I got. They're not very ambitious nor can they hold a job and look at me like I'm spoiled which I've worked hard and paid for everything in full.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thank you! Finally someone who understands
Posted via Mobile Device

meets1
04-25-2011, 10:33 PM
didnt see the post above me - what happened?

Yes tomorrow could not be a good day but answer me this - you are as old as you can be yet your as young as your going to be??

ANSWER is "TODAY" "right now" thought of that spraying today!!

SouthSide Cutter
04-25-2011, 10:43 PM
We may be well off in some peoples eyes and maybe not so well off in others. We just love driving our 06 Focus to dinner and around town. The Denali and Dually just set at home. A lot of people wouldn't be caught dead in the Focus. We catch ourselves thinking if people think thats all we have when we go out.
And like some say it can be taken in a heartbeat and never forget that. And you have nothing if you don't have your health.
We have given away mowers, washers, dryers, frig. etc and we aways get something back someway. Never thought it was right to brag what you have.

ed2hess
04-25-2011, 10:44 PM
So the guy that runs this unit can't say " I am the man"? I always had a goal of making a certain amount of money and I never spent money on fancy stuff...just what was needed to make money.

cpllawncare
04-25-2011, 11:29 PM
I'm extremely grateful for the opportunities this business has given me, I've been at this part time time for three years, it allowed me to build a customer base although not huge it was a base from which to grow, I was recently laid off my full time job and am now full time landscaping. I've been fortunate to have super good customers, every customer that went away, ultimatley came back after not being able to get the same level of service I provide. I don't make huge money but my business IS growing. And yes, I thank God everyday for guiding me through my days, and helping me make the "Right" decisions.

wiselandscaping
04-25-2011, 11:49 PM
I'm extremely grateful for the position I am in when it comes to having a great family business to work for. It is absolutely true that what you have today can be taken away from you tomorrow. Over the years, the way I've looked at our equipment has changed...

When I used to work on a maintenance crew, I'd think to myself "dang we have some nice mowers and hand tools"

When I worked my way up to a crew leader, I'd think to myself "dang we have some nice equipment... alright guys, let's keep it that way."

Now that I work in Project Management and Business Development, I walk into our shop and think, "It sure is nice to own all of this equipment outright, now I just need to sell my ass off so it sweats and we can continue to expand."

I have been blessed in many ways. I think the most important way I've been blessed though is having a good work ethic. That is what has allowed me to help the company the most.

Turf Commando
04-26-2011, 12:53 AM
not trying to hijack the thread but TURFCOMMANDO where did you get the signs for the trailer ramp in your picture? and what are they made of?

It's aluminum made by A1 signs in Kalamazoo...

Snyder's Lawn Inc
04-26-2011, 01:03 AM

I'm with this guy

watatrp
04-26-2011, 07:42 AM
My friends, I think you all need to look at a bigger picture. Now i have 1/2 the clients and am scratching for work in a poor economy. I'll work back up, but will never enjoy the "boon" that I once had when I started this biz (thanks you &*%$# lowballers).
Just saying, nevr get too full of yourself b/c it can all go down the drain thru no fault of your own:cry:

The nice thing about being debt free is that it's like getting a raise or more clients. Times are tough and we need to adapt to the current conditions. Those personal relationships with customers pay off with loyalty.

I'm a firm believer of giving back. Example, I still have my original lawn customer from 26 years ago. I started with a pushmower in the back of a hatchback. I only charge her $15 per cut when $30 is what she should be paying. When I started, it was $12. She's elderly and on a fixed income and I treat her as if she was my own grandmother. I've said it before, I'd much rather have a customer that pays $30 a cut for 10 years than one that pays $50 a cut for one year.