PDA

View Full Version : Radio headphones that cancel mower nosie?

brodo374
04-25-2011, 12:16 AM
Can anybody suggest a good pair of headphones that I can hear clearly without tuning the volume up ALL the way (to cancel out mower noise).

CELC99
04-25-2011, 12:37 AM
I have the ryobi ones I got at home depot. I have been very happy with them. They also have a switch to turn on the outside noise so you need not take them off if you want to talk to someone. They do a pretty good job at blocking out noise. I havent stepped foot on a mower without them. They can plug in your ipod with a AUX cord. and its got a limited volume limit so you cant blast it. and yes you can hear the music just fine. I usually get about 2 days out of mine on one charge. Check them out I really like them.

ajslands
04-25-2011, 02:38 AM
I have the peltior, or something like that and I think it's the worktunes model.
The wire on the righ side comes loose and that's the end for the radio.
I go through a couple pairs a year.
Posted via Mobile Device

Merkava_4
04-25-2011, 03:19 AM
I have the peltior

That's PELTOR. There's no i in the word.

If someone was to Google the brand name the way you spell it, they're not gonna find it.

Mickhippy
04-25-2011, 08:57 AM
Peltor Alerts are noise cancelling but need some kind of special lead to plug in an ipod. Has inbuilt radio though.

ajslands
04-25-2011, 09:53 AM
That's PELTOR. There's no i in the word.

If someone was to Google the brand name the way you spell it, they're not gonna find it.

Gonna is slang.
If you were to write that in an essay for a professor, you would get an "F."

ashgrove landscaping
04-25-2011, 10:26 AM
Peltor work tunes. No problems in five years. Just the replace the ear cups when they start to tear. They get rained on a lot and still work great. Probably the best $50-$60 I've spent with this job.

ALC-GregH
04-25-2011, 10:31 AM
I have the Peltor work tunes. I never use them. When wearing them, I get a drone noise from the mower that is worse then NOT wearing anything. As soon as I pull them away from my ears the noise is gone. My head is ringing after an hour of wearing them.

cashishift
04-25-2011, 11:03 AM
I bought these for when I go shoot trap or sporting clays.

http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-R-01526-Electronic-Earmuff/dp/B001T7QJ9O

Ipod Input, plus you can turn them on to be able to hear people talk without taking them off. No built in radio though.

I love them.

rem-md
04-25-2011, 01:04 PM
I have the Peltor work tunes. I never use them. When wearing them, I get a drone noise from the mower that is worse then NOT wearing anything. As soon as I pull them away from my ears the noise is gone. My head is ringing after an hour of wearing them.

Thought I was the only one who had that problem. I drone noise gets twice as bad with the blades turning!! I tried foam earplugs plus the headphones - got rid of the the drone, but I couldn't hear the radio as well :rolleyes:

GrandMaster
04-25-2011, 02:39 PM
Can anybody suggest a good pair of headphones that I can hear clearly without tuning the volume up ALL the way (to cancel out mower noise).

work tunes or roybi at home depot are good. Or you can dump 300 on skull candy bob marleys....

brodo374
04-25-2011, 02:56 PM
the ryobi headphones at home depot. i see they have ipod or mp5 adaptor but do they also pick up radio and if so, is it very clear?

GrandMaster
04-25-2011, 03:10 PM
the ryobi headphones at home depot. i see they have ipod or mp5 adaptor but do they also pick up radio and if so, is it very clear?

work tunes are better than roybis.. For radio... yes clear depending on station.

bobcat48
04-25-2011, 06:46 PM
The ryobi tek 4 at home depot.

olmod
04-25-2011, 07:09 PM
Any of you guys use ear buds? That is what I prefer so I don't have a white ring around my ears from no sun plus your ears don't get hot with the buds. I have used several different pair from Walmart and they don't seem to stand up to the water to well. I need a new pair but don't wanna waist more money on cheap one if I can find a good pair that will last. I been thinking about ordering the ones from bose but they are just crazy expensive to tear up if they don't hold up any better than these I'm buying now. I do buy the more expensive ones at Walmart also not the cheap ones.
Posted via Mobile Device

cuttin-to-the-Max
04-25-2011, 10:25 PM
Only problem i find with head phones is i tend to blow them out if i turn my music up too load While trying to drain out the mowers.

I use worktunes take them on and off......never had a ring lol. But i like them because you dont hurt your ears by turning the music up too loud

Best $50 bucks i ever spent on head phones!

alexschultz1
04-25-2011, 10:32 PM
off topic but if you guys need in-ear headphones head to tj max and buy them there. you can get $30-$40 headphones for $6. i always buy 3-4 of them while im there because i break a pair a week it seems like. every pair i have bought has been very high quality

GrandMaster
04-25-2011, 11:06 PM
Any of you guys use ear buds? That is what I prefer so I don't have a white ring around my ears from no sun plus your ears don't get hot with the buds. I have used several different pair from Walmart and they don't seem to stand up to the water to well. I need a new pair but don't wanna waist more money on cheap one if I can find a good pair that will last. I been thinking about ordering the ones from bose but they are just crazy expensive to tear up if they don't hold up any better than these I'm buying now. I do buy the more expensive ones at Walmart also not the cheap ones.
Posted via Mobile Device

Im very hard of hearing as it is so I really try to save all I got no days... buds dont cut it for protection skull candys are ok but pricey. Full muffs for me only.

Merkava_4
04-25-2011, 11:56 PM
Gonna is slang.
If you were to write that in an essay for a professor, you would get an "F."

Oh believe me, I can write perfectly good English if need be. :)

Oakley
04-26-2011, 12:44 AM
If you are looking for earbuds, try Klipsch S4. If you buy them at Bestbuy, etc, they are around $80.00. I purchased mine off of ebay for $50.00 with shipping included. They are better than I expected! I did a great deal of research prior to buying, and they are the best you can buy for under $100.00. In fact, I found one site that stated they were comparable or better than several in the $150 range for noise isolation and sound quality. You won't be dissapointed.

ajslands
04-26-2011, 12:46 AM
Oh believe me, I can write perfectly good English if need be. :)

As can I.
Posted via Mobile Device

MowingMowingMowing
04-26-2011, 12:59 AM
The ryobi tek 4 at home depot.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100671268/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

So these are pretty good?

grincon
04-26-2011, 01:03 AM
worktunes fall apart easy I've gone through two pairs already and now just use them as ear mufs

Southern Pride
04-26-2011, 01:31 AM
Home depot has the big headphones with digital radio for like fifty bucks and they are awesome. You can even download mp3s to it. They've become like that perfect baseball mit when you were a kid. Can't work without them now.
Posted via Mobile Device

lazer 46
04-26-2011, 06:38 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

I've tried a lot of different ear buds in the last two years. I don't like the full head set either. Very uncomfortable for me. The best ear bud for noise isolation are the Etymotic research HF5's. They are the best. You don't have to turn up the ipod full blast to hear the music. They can be found online for about $100. There is also a new Etymotic model called The MC5 which sells for about $70. Same noise isolation. As for how durable they are I can't say. This will be my second season with the Etymotics.

LexingtonKYcutter
04-28-2011, 08:20 PM
Peltor work tunes. No problems in five years. Just the replace the ear cups when they start to tear. They get rained on a lot and still work great. Probably the best $50-$60 I've spent with this job.

Same here. I dont do alot of mowing anymore, but when Im out helping one of the crews, I cant mow a blade of grass without wearing a pair of Peltors. Throw on some tunes and relax.

flatlander42
04-28-2011, 09:05 PM
My worktunes are also my shop radio. The only problem is when I'm under a car they can be a little bulky.

ProStreetCamaro
04-28-2011, 09:05 PM
I have said it a thousand times on this site before but I will say it again. PELTORS SUCK! They do not block noise that well and the tuner absolutely SUCKS and they generaly do not last more than 1 full season. I have had 2 pairs of them and 2 pairs of Elvex relax and the elvex blows the peltors away. Only reason I needed the second pair of Elvex was because after 2 full years I accidentally left them in the bed of the truck all winter. Stay the he.. away from peltors.

Turf Commando
04-28-2011, 10:05 PM
I bought a pair of Sony (NC) Noise Canceling headphones they're lightweight and have a switch to covert to (NC)...
Can't hear my wife let alone mower when their on.... worth the $50...lol

Penscape Landscaping
04-28-2011, 10:19 PM
Skully candy works best for me and my guys! Really blocks noise.

flatlander42
04-28-2011, 11:20 PM
My first pair lasted 10+ years, of ocaisonal use and 2 years of daily use. Then I hit a tree with my head and the cord broke and then it was a one speaker pos. The newer ones only last about one year if you treat them good. I have only had the "manual" tuners. They work well as far as tuning goes.

The noise blocking works for me....Compareable to in ear foam plugs, Not quite as good but close enough for me to be comfortable.

I'm not sure where the hate for them comes from. I have had a positive expirence.:)

That is not to say that I'm not looking for something different....like these.
http://www.earfuze.com/store.html

I have said it a thousand times on this site before but I will say it again. PELTORS SUCK! They do not block noise that well and the tuner absolutely SUCKS and they generaly do not last more than 1 full season. I have had 2 pairs of them and 2 pairs of Elvex relax and the elvex blows the peltors away. Only reason I needed the second pair of Elvex was because after 2 full years I accidentally left them in the bed of the truck all winter. Stay the he.. away from peltors.

a clear difference lawn
02-06-2013, 07:00 AM

I researched the elvex because I am not completely happy with the peltors and this is what their own website sys about the relax model "We have discontinued the AM/FM model of Relax, due to numerous user complaints. We are bringing back the analog model for as long as we can get components for this model." They have the "aware" model but it is only passive radio. I was hoping these were the answer.

LawnGuy73
02-06-2013, 09:39 AM
I don't know anything about canceling "nosie" but I use Worktunes to cancel out the noise!

skorum03
02-06-2013, 09:53 AM
"Beats" by Dre fellas. That is if your headphones budget is like $300 haha

YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com

smitty's lawncare
02-06-2013, 11:11 AM
i use the stihl headphones and i think they work great. you definately dont feel deaf at the end of the day haha

Reflection
02-06-2013, 06:30 PM
I've tried a lot of different ear buds in the last two years. I don't like the full head set either. Very uncomfortable for me. The best ear bud for noise isolation are the Etymotic research HF5's. They are the best. You don't have to turn up the ipod full blast to hear the music. They can be found online for about $100. There is also a new Etymotic model called The MC5 which sells for about $70. Same noise isolation. As for how durable they are I can't say. This will be my second season with the Etymotics.
I've had a pair of MC3s and they've made it through two seasons. The cables are durable and they do not tangle. They also have the built in mic and volume control, so you can answer your phone and don't have to take out your ear plugs (or take the phone out of your pocket).

I use Comply foam tips for the ear buds (the P Series). They're almost as good (for noise blocking) as a regular set of 3M foam ear plugs. They're also very comfortable and don't move around. I haven't used regular ear plugs since I discovered these.

Valk
02-07-2013, 12:26 PM
Great post, reflection...so thought I'd provide a link:

complyfoam.com

I invested in a pair of Klipsch earbuds last year...but the assortment of tips that came with them made for iffy sealing when working or exercising. Gonna give some of the 'Isolation Plus' a try.