PDA

View Full Version : Return on Investment for Hardscaping

JimLewis
04-25-2011, 01:51 AM
I was looking at this brochure from StoneMakers that I got at a local home and garden expo. One of my competitors invested in a franchise. So I was talking with him and got a copy of their brochure. But it looks like the brochure was made by StoneMakers and just stamped with my competitor's name.

Anyway...... on the inside it has a really interesting chart. It's labeled, "Return on Investment". And it shows the ROI for several different things (Hardscaping, Exterior Face Lift, New Roof, Vinyl Siding, New Furnace, Energy Upgrade, Windows and Doors). And out of all of them, Hardscaping is at the top. It says there is a 140% ROI and below the chart it reads....... "PERCENT OF INVESTMENT RETURNED IF HOME IS SOLD IN ONE YEAR" and "Information provided by the Freedonia Group Inc."

Now, I am sure there are plenty of people here who would dispute that claim. It may or may not have that high of an ROI. But I would LOVE to hear more about this study / citation. Anyone here ever seen that statistic? Know where there is a link to this study or information?

mdlwn1
04-25-2011, 08:47 AM
Under "normal" circumstances those figures are relatively accurate. Unfortunately these days there are many other factors that far outweigh landscaping.

PaperCutter
04-25-2011, 09:00 AM
Utter BS. If you hire a market research firm and tell them the result you're looking for, they adjust the methodology and the interpretation of the data to give you the results you want. There are just way too many variables at play in selling a house to objectively say exactly why House A sold for more than House B. Having gone to their site, I'm not paying $500 to look at the study.

DVS Hardscaper
04-25-2011, 11:26 AM
LOL - unbelievable!!!!!

I have a buddy that's a veteran real estate appraiser. He is also a hardscape customer. He has told me that the work he has had us do at his house is money he'll never see again. He has appraised my home and has gone into detail as to how appraisals are done. The $40k work we did is for his own enjoyment, and he has made it clear, that he won't ever see the money again. Just like when you buy a classic car. It's for your own piece of happiness.

A nice landscape and or hardscape will not increase value. It will give the property greater curb appeal, which in turn may help it we'll faster, but not higher.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dr.NewEarth
04-25-2011, 02:08 PM
Still, having a chart like that to show a potential client couldn't hurt.

If you do good work, you have nothing to worry about.

Yes, statistics can be manipulated.
Do you buy into every-thing your Government tells you?