PDA

View Full Version : securing mowers

BraN
04-25-2011, 01:05 PM
What do you guys use to secure your mowers, im sick of messing with rachet straps. are the prolockers or fast straps any good?

ron mexico75
04-25-2011, 01:18 PM
What do you guys use to secure your mowers, im sick of messing with rachet straps. are the prolockers or fast straps any good?

I have fastraps and they are AWESOME. No tugging, pulling, tying loose ends, looking for tie down points, ratchets rubbing the paint etc. Really convenient. You just have to stay with a fixed setup once installed or you gotta remove them and drill them in again.

RSK Property Maintenance
04-27-2011, 08:38 PM

I use a pro locker and its nice, a lot faster then ratchet straps. u pull the pin that holds the wheel, when you back out the pin usually clicks and slides in so when you drive back into it, its locked in. and your off.

mowcrazy
04-27-2011, 09:39 PM
I want to ask you fellas a question and I want your honest opinion and I will let you know why I asked. LOL

Are you guys strapping or securing your equipment down because the law saids you have to or because your are actually concerned for the safety of others.

Me????? Well its not that I don't care for others safety but I just wasnt willing to strap my stuff down after every job. We mow a lot of water towers in our area. 15-20 minuted jobs with a lot of them and can get around 30 of them done in a day.

From what Im understanding the state highway patrol had been pulling folks over giving them warnings that stuff needs to be tied down.

I bought an enclosed a few days ago. I refuse to let tieing this stuff down get into my mowing day. Safety this safety that. Mowers wont even have blades by the time all this safety crap is over. LOL

BlazerRidge
04-27-2011, 10:05 PM
How do the pro lockers work if you have more than one mower on the trailer? It looks like they are too tall for you to drive a mower over??

BraN
04-27-2011, 10:40 PM
is there any way you can take the pro locker of easy or is it perminent. would be nice, i usaully run with one mower in the middle of the trailer but every once in a while i put 2 on and have to park one of the mowers all the way up to the front.

Junior M
04-27-2011, 10:59 PM
straps from all 4 corners. But we use 2 riders and a walk behind on an equipment trailer....

topsites
04-27-2011, 11:48 PM
I got so much **** on my trailer, nothing moves.

dose0018
04-28-2011, 12:09 AM
Mowcrazy
I wanted to answer your question about straps for safety vs. for legality. I think you need to talk to people who have been in accidents with their rigs. (I do not mean to say that you have not because i do not know) I was in an accident which was not my fault a hand full of years back. Ever since I strap my equipment down very well for my safety and for the safety of others. I got on the freeway for a short bit, traffic came to a stop and was rear ended. I had a mower strapped down with several one inch straps and had wooden front on my trailer. The mower broke the straps and ended up passing my passenger side window (in the air, well off the ground). It ended up hitting the ground near the front quarter panel of my truck (denting it). The state troopers arrived and no tickets for me because it was "well secured" but not nearly enough to hold up in a crash.
Just a thought, that it is worth investing in proper securing devices. I was legal but it was not safe.
In my area though, we do no mow 30 per day so loading and unloading time is less of a concern.
Well, just my two cents.... her insurance paid for my trailer, and mower but I can not imagine if someone was hurt by me not strapping it down well enough.

I am also some what interested in prolockers and fast straps. At this point we just use two inch ratchet straps.

watatrp
04-28-2011, 06:26 AM
Are you guys strapping or securing your equipment down because the law saids you have to or because your are actually concerned for the safety of others.

A little bit of both and another reason. There is always that crazy person that pulls out in front of you and you need to slam on the brakes. The straps keep my mower from smashing all the other equipment on my trailer. Believe me, if you stop fast enough, it will happen.

2ndNature
04-28-2011, 07:01 AM
We use faststraps and they are GREAT! It takes maybe 15 seconds to secure 2 mowers. If you do 30 lawns per day then you spent 7 minutes and 30 seconds securing $15,000 worth of equipment. Seems like a pretty easy decision to me.

It is a significant fine around here and I see guys getting pulled over all the time.

jelgan
04-28-2011, 07:47 AM
I use Fastraps--fast and lay down on the deck so I can get front mower off with no problem. Once adjusted, just unlatch, slide off tire, back out. Then slide back on tire, latch and go. I have just received another set for my new mower. No worry about mowers moving around. Beings they are strapped down, no need to be pulled over to tell me to get them strapped or anything else that they want to look at.

ALC-GregH
04-28-2011, 08:43 AM

Why would they block out the word "junk" in your post? It's not a bad word. :)

Fastraps here.......

wahlturfcare
04-28-2011, 10:40 PM
I always use straps and MAKE my other other guys use them or get fired for not using them. I have been rearended before and the straps saved one mower and the one that wasnt straped went for a long ride over the trailer.

I have used the prolockers before and threw them away as I always move equipment around and dont hold up that well around here with the rough roads and bend pretty easily. Also, the dot here is starting to ban them as your mowers will still move or flip forward as i have seen them do that on another guys trailer before.

BlackBirdWS.6
04-28-2011, 11:02 PM
Pro Lockers, I have the first one ever sold :cool2:

mowcrazy
04-28-2011, 11:25 PM
hey I appreciate everyone replying to my question. Didnt mean to hijack the op's thread. See I looked at the prolockers and im not sure it would work for me for the fact that I have my 48 walk behind pulled to the front of the trailer and 2 scag tt's pulled bumper to bumber and the tailgate was basically securing everything to where it was tight within a few inches front to back. That would be a pain in the rear having to unhook 3 mowers to get the 48 off the trailer for some of my smaller jobs. I know that it is safer to have them tied down but it seemed like a big enough pain in the a$$ that I decided to go to an enclosed trailer. Hey by the way, by law do you have to have them strapped in an enclosed also? I mean, honestly Im not doing it either way but just curious.

944own
04-28-2011, 11:42 PM
I use the fastraps and they are great. The only complaint is if you ever cut a yard and get dog sxxt on your tires you have to deal with getting those straps over a tire covered in dog sxxt.

BAGHERVANCE
04-28-2011, 11:43 PM
I have two wright standers I carry and the rachet straps are fine it they start messing up just buy new one ,not that big of deal.

BINKY1902
04-29-2011, 12:02 AM
I use the fastraps and they are great. The only complaint is if you ever cut a yard and get dog sxxt on your tires you have to deal with getting those straps over a tire covered in dog sxxt.

I have that problem too.

Southern Pride
04-29-2011, 01:00 AM
I do not strap the mowers themselves in nor does the law require me to do so. I believe it's mainly because Memphis cops have real problems to deal with vs. some of these smaller towns and counties where I hear of guys getting tickets for not strapping down their gas cans in the bed LOL

Anyway, I run a 12' trailer. I have my exmark 36 in front middle all the way to the rail. Directly behind it is the Toro 48. It's front casters fit perfectly on the outsides of the 36's rear tires. I hook the sulkys up on both. Then behind the 48 is not even a foot of room and then my 21" sideways against the rear gate. It is literally a perfect setup fit. None of it EVER moves an inch nor is anything creating intense friction against the other.

I drive very slow at a nice little cruise around town while pulling the equipment, and have a perfect record. I am interested in Prolockers BUT I need someone to tell me how to set it up in my instance where you have two mowers in a line directly in line. I understand the front caster is what hitches in so I could do the front mower w/ prolocker (36) and then the caster on the 48 fits right outside the widths of the 36 so it could work....Just seems like it'd be easy to complicate that prolocker setup with more than one mower. More than likely one is going to be "in the way" of the front mower if that makes sense...

Let me know your thoughts about the prolocker, I don't care to hear any whining about not having 20 dumb ratchet straps on the mowers. I personally don't think they would stop a mower from coming off at a high enough speed wreck to matter.

Griffin

BAGHERVANCE
04-29-2011, 01:17 AM
Rather be smart and have ratchet strap then nothing holding my stuff down ,I don't care if it move or doesn't you should always have something strapping your stuff down.

Southern Pride
04-29-2011, 01:18 AM
My buddy did show me the faststraps though and those look like they could be good, but as far as physically doing the old school ratchet straps on each mower, forget it.

BAGHERVANCE
04-29-2011, 01:20 AM
Yes because it takes two seconds

mowcrazy
04-29-2011, 07:27 AM
Yes because it takes two seconds

This is what I keep on hearing but I cant believe its that quick. Maybe i have to see it to believe it. If I go out to mow my water towers and i have to pull the mowers off the trailer to get the 48 off which is about half my towers thats 3 mowers I have to destrap and restrap. Remember I normall get 30 of them done (very small places) in a day. Lets say it takes me 2 minutes to get everything uncinched and cinched back down. That robs an hour from me that day and I don't get all me towers done in 1 day which equals another trip out for towers with gas hitting $4.15 per gallon yesterday. I guess really it doesnt matter to me but Ive got some friends that are sweating right now getting caught and I understand why. Its hard enough to keep up in southern ohio when it rains 5 days out of the week. We are rushing on everything were doing and still cant keep up.

Southern Pride
04-29-2011, 09:28 PM
Yeah the reason it's so quick is because the fast straps you initially drill in, the set it to the relative size of your tire that it will always go in so as soon as you pull the mower up you just put the fast strap around the tire and one jerk, it's tight and you're ready to go. Two seconds. Praise whoever invented this method.

NBL
04-30-2011, 11:02 AM
I block each wheel with 2x4s secured to the floor of the open and enclosed trailers. Mowers haven't moved.

ron mexico75
04-30-2011, 11:08 AM
This is what I keep on hearing but I cant believe its that quick. Maybe i have to see it to believe it. If I go out to mow my water towers and i have to pull the mowers off the trailer to get the 48 off which is about half my towers thats 3 mowers I have to destrap and restrap. Remember I normall get 30 of them done (very small places) in a day. Lets say it takes me 2 minutes to get everything uncinched and cinched back down. That robs an hour from me that day and I don't get all me towers done in 1 day which equals another trip out for towers with gas hitting $4.15 per gallon yesterday. I guess really it doesnt matter to me but Ive got some friends that are sweating right now getting caught and I understand why. Its hard enough to keep up in southern ohio when it rains 5 days out of the week. We are rushing on everything were doing and still cant keep up.

http://www.trailerracks.com/fastrap.html

RSK Property Maintenance
04-30-2011, 04:20 PM
with multiple mowers, im exactly sure how you would have more then one prolocker on trailer. I just have 1 mower, my plan for when I get a full size dual axle 18' landscape trailer was to just mount my mower in the front left corner, and put the trimmer racks on that side and the blower racks on the other side, and maybe make a rack for the front that locks for my eagle gas cans that cost 40 dollars for a 2 gallon and almost 70 for the 5 gallon can. and put the spool of string up there and other misc. small stuff.

specialtylc
04-30-2011, 05:26 PM

Thats my situation. We do nail a few pieces of 2x4 to the deck just to keep the push mowers in place. In 15 years I have never straped down a mower. Same with my Z Max. A couple of 2x4 to saddle the rear tires and setting the parking brake is all I ever need.

SDLandscapes VT
04-30-2011, 05:27 PM
I have 18' trailer...front side gate, and rear gate. I have prolockers and I can fit either two walkbehinds and a walker MTGHS or a walkbehind, Hustler mini-Z and walker MTGHS. The trick to the row is offsetting the boots. I also have extra mounting bars since the boots quick release as well and so I have a setup that allows me to get the hustler mini z with the bac vac and the walker on for fall work. Ironically I bought a leaf plow and we do not use the z with the bac vac much all all. I am a fan of the prolockers. They work better for Z's and walkbehinds. The walker sort of has a mind of its own.

Southern Pride
04-30-2011, 10:29 PM
Thats my situation. We do nail a few pieces of 2x4 to the deck just to keep the push mowers in place. In 15 years I have never straped down a mower. Same with my Z Max. A couple of 2x4 to saddle the rear tires and setting the parking brake is all I ever need.

Exact same here. Good to know there are "others" haha Guys on here will drill you to death for not spending 20 minutes between yards strapping EVERYTHING down.

Good thing they've invented ProLockers and Faststraps, because the old school ratchet straps are for the birds. I don't need either of the above for keeping the mowers from moving (they don't move anyway) as much as I want to lock them in to prevent theft.

But like you said specialtylc, 2x4's and a parking break serves their purpose just fine.

JPsDuramax
04-30-2011, 10:52 PM
Here in Georgia, the DOT is very strict on tie downs. There are many rules dictating what is proper and what can't be done. Enclosed vehicles are included. I know someone is going to say it, so I'll address it here. In GA, any vehicle or vehicle combination over 10,000 gvw must meet DOT requirements. And don't give me the well no one enforces it because the towns around atlanta have found the dot rules to be major money makers. Plus, I would rather take an extra minute to protect my investments. My 2 cents
Posted via Mobile Device

mowcrazy
05-01-2011, 12:11 AM
http://www.trailerracks.com/fastrap.html

That actually does look like a pretty good Idea but Ill stick to the enclosed trailer...............

Richard Martin
05-01-2011, 04:07 AM
my plan for when I get a full size dual axle 18' landscape trailer was to just mount my mower in the front left corner, and put the trimmer racks on that side and the blower racks on the other side,

You should put your trimmers racks, blower racks etc on the right side if possible. That way if you have to park on the street you (or your guys) won't have to walk out into traffic to get those tools. If you look at my avatar you'll see the blower rack is on the left side. I've since moved that to the right front of the trailer.

jtsnipe
05-01-2011, 07:17 AM
Thats my situation. We do nail a few pieces of 2x4 to the deck just to keep the push mowers in place. In 15 years I have never straped down a mower. Same with my Z Max. A couple of 2x4 to saddle the rear tires and setting the parking brake is all I ever need.I'm just as guilty as most about not strapping my equipment down.Started to think what if someone went left of center or pulled out in front of me.I would hate to have a 1100# z shooting at the back of my head and cleats nailed down ain't stopping it.

BraN
05-01-2011, 11:29 AM
JPsDuramax right the dot rules make money. around me if you get pulled over by an officer that enforces the rules they find some kind of ticket to give you. it just started to catch on in last couple years.

I just ordered a set of fast straps, i hope i like them.

TNGrassCutter
05-01-2011, 01:40 PM
That actually does look like a pretty good Idea but Ill stick to the enclosed trailer...............

I'm no expert but I wouldn't think the walls of an enclosed trailer would contain a mower in an accident, but maybe I'm wrong.
Posted via Mobile Device

Richard Martin
05-01-2011, 03:59 PM
I'm no expert but I wouldn't think the walls of an enclosed trailer would contain a mower in an accident, but maybe I'm wrong.

You're right. Almost the same exact rules that apply to open trailers also apply to enclosed vehicles like trailers and box trucks.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/truck/vehicle/cs-policy.htm

See section 393.106

Those are Federal rules. Your individual state may or may not use them.

TimTim2008
05-01-2011, 04:34 PM
http://www.havenerent.com/images/ProLockers2.jpg

BAGHERVANCE
05-01-2011, 11:00 PM
rachet straps take like 2 second at the most ,if they get old you go and replace them. Its like second nature ,it is a pain in the ass to have something bolted down to your trailer and you have to drive around it and what not. If your that anal about taking 2 seconds to do a rachet strap then i don't know you have issues.

mowcrazy
05-01-2011, 11:23 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Im figuring if your trailer went to flippin down the road there would be mowers flyin out all over the place also. Im just saying that im gonna stick with enclosed so authorities cant SEE that my stuff isnt strapped down. Call me horrible but until I get caught im just not gonna do it, although maybe the fast straps would be easy to use. Tell ya what else Im believing is that if you flipped your tailer at 55mph those straps may very well fail also.

BAGHERVANCE
05-01-2011, 11:28 PM
If you flip a trailer i don't care what you got holding your stuff down most likely it will fail.

TNGrassCutter
05-02-2011, 12:32 AM
If you flip a trailer i don't care what you got holding your stuff down most likely it will fail.

But at least you won't be ACCUSED of not strapping your stuff down. May save you a lawsuit who knows?
Posted via Mobile Device

BAGHERVANCE
05-02-2011, 12:48 AM
True very true

Richard Martin
05-02-2011, 04:59 AM

Have you ever heard "And the load shifted causing the accident"? That's the purpose of the laws. To prevent a load shift from causing an accident.

ALC-GregH
05-02-2011, 09:03 AM
Im figuring if your trailer went to flippin down the road there would be mowers flyin out all over the place also. Im just saying that im gonna stick with enclosed so authorities cant SEE that my stuff isnt strapped down. Call me horrible but until I get caught im just not gonna do it, although maybe the fast straps would be easy to use. Tell ya what else Im believing is that if you flipped your tailer at 55mph those straps may very well fail also.

These type of answers are why I hate helping others. If you think hiding is the answer, you have a lot to learn. You can be pulled over and asked to see the contents of the trailer at ANY given time by police or other authorized law enforcement without probable cause. If they want to see what's in your trailer, all they have to do is pull you over and MAKE you open the trailer. Better hope it's not a DOT officer or you'll be SOL real quick. With your attitude, I'd place money that you don't have any insurance or pay in on taxes?

gasracer
05-02-2011, 09:46 AM
I make sure ALL of my equipment is LOCKED from theft on my trailer with chains and lock cables.They are secured together and to the trailer.Not sure that is DOT approved or not but I am not over 10,000 lb.

BaxtersEssentialLawnCare
05-02-2011, 11:50 AM
Hey guys I've been watching this thread for awhile and I'd thought I'd chime in. Now I use a ratchet strap to hold the mower and a chain n lock to prevent theft. I like the fast straps from what I've seen and will prbly be getting some. I thought I'd throw this out there just to give and idea of the forces we are talking about in a wreck. The chain I use is rated @ a break of 10klbs. I use a lock just a thick. The other day I locked the mower @ the house. I had some extra chain that I didnt see was hanging off the trailer. Going down the road the chain got under the trailer tire. Locked the tire I get stopped n go look at it. The force snapped the lock gone, the chain was dug into the wood floor about an inch. It a good thing i wrap the chain around the metal uprights or it wouldn't have been pretty. Now think about this the trailer is abt 2k the mower is a 36 walkbehind 2 trimmers/1 edged/blower and a 21 inch. so maybe 4k total. Now just think what happens when truck/trailer meet another car. I'm not saying that there things will stop the equip from going off the trailer, but if something does happen then atleast you did what you could.(no libaility)

flatlander42
05-02-2011, 04:14 PM
Half of the people that are b!tchin about the time it takes to use a Normal Ratchet strap are the same ones that can never use the damned things!!!

I know a large amount of people that can't figure them out, and I laugh every time! They always say that "These are different than the ones I have!!"............RIGHT! LOL

I will be making my own "fastraps" but I will be using a RATCHET. I don't know why, but I don't think I could ever trust that "cam" style of tensioner. Also..i'm a tight-wad!
But that may just be me!

lawnkingforever
05-02-2011, 07:48 PM
i just installed these on my trailer. they are from an 18 wheeler trailer. the grey straps lock the wheels on my grandstand. these work good if you haul different combination of mowers.

lawncuttinfoo
08-30-2011, 09:47 PM
I always use straps and MAKE my other other guys use them or get fired for not using them. I have been rearended before and the straps saved one mower and the one that wasnt straped went for a long ride over the trailer.

I have used the prolockers before and threw them away as I always move equipment around and dont hold up that well around here with the rough roads and bend pretty easily. Also, the dot here is starting to ban them as your mowers will still move or flip forward as i have seen them do that on another guys trailer before.

What do you mean "starting to ban" them. They are either allowed or not, banned or not.
"starting" sounds like hearsay.

StanWilhite
08-30-2011, 10:19 PM
Mowcrazy
I wanted to answer your question about straps for safety vs. for legality. I think you need to talk to people who have been in accidents with their rigs. (I do not mean to say that you have not because i do not know) I was in an accident which was not my fault a hand full of years back. Ever since I strap my equipment down very well for my safety and for the safety of others. I got on the freeway for a short bit, traffic came to a stop and was rear ended. I had a mower strapped down with several one inch straps and had wooden front on my trailer. The mower broke the straps and ended up passing my passenger side window (in the air, well off the ground). It ended up hitting the ground near the front quarter panel of my truck (denting it). The state troopers arrived and no tickets for me because it was "well secured" but not nearly enough to hold up in a crash.
Just a thought, that it is worth investing in proper securing devices. I was legal but it was not safe.
In my area though, we do no mow 30 per day so loading and unloading time is less of a concern.
Well, just my two cents.... her insurance paid for my trailer, and mower but I can not imagine if someone was hurt by me not strapping it down well enough.

I am also some what interested in prolockers and fast straps. At this point we just use two inch ratchet straps.

OK, I'll bite. Am I the only one that is wondering how a truck and trailer can be "rear ended" and the contents of the trailer end up going FORWARD ? :confused:

topsites
08-30-2011, 10:44 PM
OK, I'll bite. Am I the only one that is wondering how a truck and trailer can be "rear ended" and the contents of the trailer end up going FORWARD ? :confused:

Well...
No, I mean...

To answer your question, no, you're not the only one wondering but...
I stopped trying to figure out these things a long time ago.
It used to drive me nuts, but now I don't even bother to ask, I don't even want to know anymore.

h2oskier
08-30-2011, 11:38 PM
Man we can beat the horse but some how it keeps returning.

deerewashed
08-31-2011, 07:52 AM
4 foot 2x4 in front of and behind rear wheel of each mower........roll over one and get locked in between.

phil5
01-07-2012, 07:45 PM
Prolockers all the way!!!! View my post, Prolockers for sale.

PHIL

clydebusa
02-11-2012, 12:08 PM
You should put your trimmers racks, blower racks etc on the right side if possible. That way if you have to park on the street you (or your guys) won't have to walk out into traffic to get those tools. If you look at my avatar you'll see the blower rack is on the left side. I've since moved that to the right front of the trailer.

But I park they wrong way. It makes everyone happy on this web site.
:dizzy:

blk90s13
02-11-2012, 12:37 PM
4 foot 2x4 in front of and behind rear wheel of each mower........roll over one and get locked in between.

That worked for me as well on walk behinds and riders not a problem and we got some rough roads around here

mykayel
02-11-2012, 12:48 PM

I think it makes perfect sense. Hits something from behind (weather it was sitting still or moving doesn't matter) and its going to move forward. And if it was hit hard enough, I would think the trailer would "fly" upwards as it is anchored to the truck at the front. So the unsecured items go flying when the trailer stops moving and goes back to the ground. That's my theory.

jtsnipe
02-11-2012, 02:42 PM
That worked for me as well on walk behinds and riders not a problem and we got some rough roads around hereSome people you just can't reach.:dizzy:

THEGOLDPRO
02-11-2012, 02:44 PM
I don't strap my mowers down.

TimTim2008
02-13-2012, 09:55 AM
not my pic, but

http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/ww203/mizzly-2009/IMG_6234.jpg

BodenConstruction
05-28-2012, 10:01 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

BodenConstruction
05-28-2012, 10:30 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

I have a 2" rachet strap bolted to the stake pocket that goes over the foot rest area of my Hustler FTSD and holds most of the "load". I also have a 1" rachet strap bolted through the deck/cross member that I drop through the hitch hole on the rear to keep the back end from sliding. I timed myself and it took me 25 seconds to unhook them and 40 to strap them back down. I would say taking 1 minute extra per job is well worth it. I have been pulled over and given a warning for an "unsecured load" while hauling my backhoe because I ONLY had 4 points of securement on it. I now run 6 chains, 4 on the tractor itself and 1 on each "hydraulic boom"......
Posted via Mobile Device

2stroked
05-28-2012, 10:41 PM
I don't even need straps the parking break holds my scag in place, it doesn't even move a inch! I have to bunjy my 21 though, or else the hand might take out a innocent biker. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

johnwright238
05-28-2012, 11:39 PM
regular old dirt bike tie downs are my favorite. I can't stand ratchet straps :dizzy:

blk90s13
05-30-2012, 11:46 PM
Some people you just can't reach.:dizzy:

Very true :dizzy: !!!!