PDA

View Full Version : Best oil for Kawasaki?

Islander10
04-25-2011, 03:56 PM
I picked up a Gravely ZT XL 48 last fall. Nice mower so far...cuts and handles great.

What is your favorite oil for the Kawasaki FR 24hp?

Landowner application, 2-4 hrs/week. Doesn't get very hot here in VT, probably just a few days in the 90's.

I usually use HD30 in my other OPE...Shell Rotella at the moment. Is this a good flavor? Any other recommendations? I've never seen Amsoil around here.

I searched around a bit, but didn't find a thread that discusses oil brands...feel free to point me in the right direction...

ashgrove landscaping
04-25-2011, 05:39 PM
Kawasaki K-Tech 30 weight. It's made for the engine and works great for all engines. Plus it's really affordable.

all ferris
04-25-2011, 05:50 PM
Why use a straight weight oil? There are great multi weight oils out there that will give you better starting lube and still act like a 30 weight oil when hot.

cpllawncare
04-25-2011, 09:25 PM
Why use a straight weight oil? There are great multi weight oils out there that will give you better starting lube and still act like a 30 weight oil when hot.

I've often wondered about this myself?

turftracerhp
04-25-2011, 09:28 PM
i buy the oreillys straight 30.i run it in all my turftracers with kawasakis on them and change it at 30 hours.it looks just as good when it comes out as it did going in.actually i could probably go a little longer without changing it.im just a worry wart.

weeze
04-25-2011, 11:27 PM
i use mobil 1 10w30...amsoil is probably better but it's harder to find and costs more...only certain dealers carry it and they are usually way out of the way to find...i can go anywhere like walmart and find mobil 1 lol

Florida Gardener
04-25-2011, 11:47 PM
i use mobil 1 10w30...amsoil is probably better but it's harder to find and costs more...only certain dealers carry it and they are usually way out of the way to find...i can go anywhere like walmart and find mobil 1 lol

You can get a commercial account with amsoil and buy it online....I have about 6 qts. of kohler oil left and 1.5 qts. of mobil 1 left and after that I'm going to run amsoil in all my machines and prob do oil analysis on all of them. I currently run amsoil in my tundra and will be doing a 12k OCI this run. The last was just under 10k and the lab said all was good and to go for 12k. For the people who debate between lower vs higher changes, an analysis will solve that problem....
Posted via Mobile Device

gasracer
04-26-2011, 10:16 AM
There are charts that show multi weights vs. straight weights. It is just different temperature ranges. I use the K-tech 30 in all of mine. As long as it is a good brand of oil I think it would be fine. Amsoil,Royal Purple,and some others make great oil but it does get costly. I change my oil and filter every 25-30 hours.Most books say to change oil at 50 hours and the filter every 100.

jetta
04-26-2011, 10:34 AM
because epa took zddp out of the oil, and i dont run synthetic in my mowers i only run rotella triple hd diesel 10-30. straight weights have no zddp, and multi weights only a little now.

CUSTYOTA
04-26-2011, 10:40 AM
I use kawasaki oil.

Florida Gardener
04-26-2011, 11:31 AM
There are charts that show multi weights vs. straight weights. It is just different temperature ranges. I use the K-tech 30 in all of mine. As long as it is a good brand of oil I think it would be fine. Amsoil,Royal Purple,and some others make great oil but it does get costly. I change my oil and filter every 25-30 hours.Most books say to change oil at 50 hours and the filter every 100.

Not really. Amsoil has a 10w30 for 5.5 qt. If you have a commercial account with them it will be cheaper than that. Kohler 10w30 is 5 qt online and prob more at your dealer.
Posted via Mobile Device

Islander10
04-26-2011, 11:42 AM
I didn't know about the Kawasaki K-Tech oil...that sounds like a logical choice.

Where do you buy it? Dealers? I don't recall seeing it at my dealer...will have to call them. They used generic oil for the first change, which makes sense for only a dozen hours.

Any online sources for the K-Tech oil?

I have usually used HD30 oil because I use it in a marine engine I have so always a case in the garage. But 10W30 should also be fine...seems to be much more available.