PDA

View Full Version : Why you should have mowing contracts.

944own
04-25-2011, 03:03 PM
First let me say since yesterday morn I have been sick as a dog and really did not feel like working today. I went out this morn anyway, had 4 yards I needed to mow. I cut the first 2 feeling like I was about to die. Then I came to the 3rd yard last name (Patel). A couple of weeks ago while mowing this lady stops me and asks me for a price. I give it to her and cut her yard. We agree on a price and biweekly and I said I will just leave a bill at the end of the month. I get there today and the yard is already cut. I see her outside and stop to find out what happened and take into consideration how sick I am today. She says her husband cut it and I can cut it next time. I told her that is not how it works and I guess he can just cut it from now on and would you like to settle your bill now. She gets me a check and I leave. That is just BS you either want me to mow or not. PS I am about to go to the doctor.

FuturePilot4u
04-25-2011, 03:07 PM
I have had that, I be too nice to my costumers but I still have them and people appreciate not everything being about big business.
Posted via Mobile Device

KINGMADE
04-25-2011, 03:09 PM
I to am not using contracts currently and it does suck. Happens all the time. Bi-weekly turns into every 3 weeks, and instead of calling they let you come out to find out they had already mowed... You just have to drop people. Those very ones are the same ones that will not sign a contract though. So atleast you got some money out of it. If I feel someone is shady and has really tall grass. I charge then accordingly becuase I do not know if they will be return customers. I will be using contracts at the start of next season. I dont have time for people's bs war stories any more.

944own
04-25-2011, 03:12 PM
I know guys and I am usually the nicest guy you could meet it was just something about that it just rubbed me the wrong way. If I was not so sick I probably would have just said OK I will mow it in 2 weeks but I really dont care she seemed like a PITA anyway. Not being racist but all the indians I have worked for did not last very long anyway they always want more than they pay for.

stuntmanlogan
04-25-2011, 03:18 PM
If something like that happens to me. I ask the customer if they could call me before I show up next time. This has happened to me one time in 7 years. None of my customers want to ever mow there own lawn lol.

FuturePilot4u
04-25-2011, 03:18 PM
Yes I agree with working with forgien people...they never understand the job and then ask for more work when your done. Once I was hired to clean out a fire pit of wood and bricks then it changed into hand searching every inch to be free of screws and nails.
Posted via Mobile Device

KINGMADE
04-25-2011, 03:19 PM
I know guys and I am usually the nicest guy you could meet it was just something about that it just rubbed me the wrong way. If I was not so sick I probably would have just said OK I will mow it in 2 weeks but I really dont care she seemed like a PITA anyway. Not being racist but all the indians I have worked for did not last very long anyway they always want more than they pay for.

Ahh yeah. They stop me in neighborhoods all the time for one time mows. I caught on quickly and started charging more. Either they took it or they didn't. No sweat off my back either way.

fireman gus
04-25-2011, 08:07 PM
We have service agreement forms for EVERY yard. If a person has more than one property they sign an agreement form for each property. Also they receive a letter explaining each service we offer and how each are handled.

Golfpro21
04-25-2011, 08:12 PM
bi weekly clients are like that...they do not care about their lawn, nor do they want to spend the money on their lawn.....drop them and find a weekly cutting client

Patriot Services
04-25-2011, 08:21 PM
Never be the "on call guy". They turn into schedule busters that detract from your loyal ones. Biweekly or weekly, new customers are due for the entire month after the FIRST cut. This has cut way down on the "drop the service after you get the yard looking good" routine.
Posted via Mobile Device

2ndNature
04-25-2011, 08:22 PM
I have had two do that to me already this season. Dumped them both and moved on. I can't make money trying to read their silly minds from week to week.

I figure we are just way too early in the honeymoon of the mowing season to start dealing with people that just don't get it.

weeze
04-25-2011, 10:59 PM
i dunno why some people are like that...i have a few myself that say they will call when it's needed....they call me every 2 weeks anyways...why not just be on a bi-weekly schedule?...lol...i dunno but i always put the people that call on the back burner...i'll work them in when i have time...the steady people i always take care of first...i only have 1 weekly customer...everyone around here wants bi-weekly...i guess they don't wanna spend the money on their yard...but that weekly customer is my favorite customer and favorite yard...it's easy to cut, it's small and takes about 30min to do everything and they are never at home when i cut and they always leave a check...it's like i wish i had 25 customers like that but they just don't exist here lol

Roger
04-25-2011, 11:02 PM
To the original poster, if you had a contract, and showed up after the husband had done the cutting, so what? Having a signed piece of paper does not stop the husband from getting out his mower to do the work. It is his property, and he has full control of what happens.

If you choose to bill the customer for your non-cut, "because it is in the contract," what do you think the chances of getting payment?

944own
04-25-2011, 11:14 PM
To the original poster, if you had a contract, and showed up after the husband had done the cutting, so what? Having a signed piece of paper does not stop the husband from getting out his mower to do the work. It is his property, and he has full control of what happens.

If you choose to bill the customer for your non-cut, "because it is in the contract," what do you think the chances of getting payment?
Good point I guess I was just venting. On another note I went to the doctor he gave me a steroid shot some antibiotics and a inhaler seems like I get seasonal athsma and I got hydrcodine cough syrup feeling a little better tonight. Got a full day tomorrow
Posted via Mobile Device

Dr.NewEarth
04-25-2011, 11:24 PM
Even with a contract some will burn you.

I didn't do residential for years. Last season I started signing up a few by contract.
Most of them pay by credit card. I can bill at the beginning of the month.
If the card is declined I can bounce them with no loss.

I have one guy that likes to pay with cash. He gives me a big wad and says
do what needs to be done. I like that. I cut, fertilized, aerate, edge etc.

In the summer I'll see him again and he'll
give me another wad of cash. we've done this for a few years now.

He's a biker type, and always happy. He works on the waterfront.
I think he's one of the only people I get a good trusting vibe from.
Plus he won't cut his own lawn, he's extremely allergic.

topsites
04-26-2011, 12:00 AM
Yeah but here's how I see things, rather than ...
Well...

I won't say too much, insofar as getting nasty I get about borderline somedays when they pull this crap like the folks who just
HAVE to call 3 dang times the day they're scheduled to be cut anyhow because they HAVE to be sure I'm REALLY coming out and
omg omg omg like I have ever let them down but then I get all in a rush to get out there and I show up and the *&%^#$ is CUT
ALREADY!

I don't have to be sick on that day if you want to talk about that...
In that sense I'd rather hear the broken lawn mower story lol at least then I know it's a one timer.

But here's the deal...
Just let these chode smokers weed themselves right out, don't have to be nasty to anyone, just let them do their thing
and yes it stinks getting burned here and there but just build your schedule quietly doing your own little routine thing that
you do and whenever one of these comes along just let it go, let it go.

Because ONE day...
And I don't know when, according to earlier predictions of mine we should have been in the clear
economically by now, so evidently my predictions aren't much good so we'll skip that.
But ONE day this economy SHOULD recover.

I just don't know when, but WHEN it does, there can be some Lco's sitting fat and sassy.
The trick is, just gotta put up with it best you can.
Might be some years yet thou.

Even with a contract some will burn you.

Yup, always someone wanting to play funny.
Contract or not, it's true.

But just let them do that, it is frustrating but hey at least it doesn't last long.
First visit or two, really...
One should almost be thankful they didn't wait until mid-June to start pulling the crap, because most of these,
first few visits and it's over, just try and be nice about it.

944own
04-26-2011, 12:12 AM
Yeah but here's how I see things, rather than ...
Well...

I won't say too much, insofar as getting nasty I get about borderline somedays when they pull this crap like the folks who just
HAVE to call 3 dang times the day they're scheduled to be cut anyhow because they HAVE to be sure I'm REALLY coming out and
omg omg omg like I have ever let them down but then I get all in a rush to get out there and I show up and the *&%^#$ is CUT
ALREADY!

I don't have to be sick on that day if you want to talk about that...
In that sense I'd rather hear the broken lawn mower story lol at least then I know it's a one timer.

But here's the deal...
Just let these chode smokers weed themselves right out, don't have to be nasty to anyone, just let them do their thing
and yes it stinks getting burned here and there but just build your schedule quietly doing your own little routine thing that
you do and whenever one of these comes along just let it go, let it go.

Because ONE day...
And I don't know when, according to earlier predictions of mine we should have been in the clear
economically by now, so evidently my predictions aren't much good so we'll skip that.
But ONE day this economy SHOULD recover.

I just don't know when, but WHEN it does, there can be some Lco's sitting fat and sassy.
The trick is, just gotta put up with it best you can.
Might be some years yet thou.

Yup, always someone wanting to play funny.
Contract or not, it's true.

But just let them do that, it is frustrating but hey at least it doesn't last long.
First visit or two, really...
One should almost be thankful they didn't wait until mid-June to start pulling the crap, because most of these,
first few visits and it's over, just try and be nice about it.
These,are all good points and I don't care to loose the acct I just was a little rude unfortunately but hey we all have our bad days I have another weekly to give a estimate on tomorrow in a area I have a bunch of yards already so thanks for the advice I don't let these people get me down.
Posted via Mobile Device

Southern Pride
04-26-2011, 01:25 AM
All bi weeklys are not bad customers at all. Most of mine are and that's just the way it is nowadays with the economy. One guy said it tho the Indians are mostly pita cheapest. You just have to feel them out. The second they become a pain ya drop em.
Posted via Mobile Device