PDA

View Full Version : Stihl BR 600 Review

IRRITECH
04-25-2011, 08:41 PM
My Kaw 750 died after 4-5 years of daily use. We maintain several storage units sites and I needed something quick. Found a lightly used BR600 for $300 and bought it. I never buy Stihl equipment as I don't think the quality is there. Anyway, here are my thoughts after 2 weeks.

Pros

-Comfortable, wow!! one thing they did right. it is without a doubt the most comfortable blower I have ever run.

-Lightweight, blower seems light to me. Combined with the comfort that's great.

Cons

- Uhhh... where's the power?? It's rated higher than my Kawi and I am failing to see it as an equal. My shidaiwa 8510 really blows this thing away.

-Gas, it sucks gas. Comparable to the shindaiwa and IMO much more than the 750.

- Gas cap. Okay this is just a personal peeve, but the gas cap is a pain in the butt. If you don't get it on just right, here comes the gas........

Overall

Not what I expected due to all the hype. Lightweight and comfortable, but doesn't live up to my expectations in the power department.

mowerbrad
04-25-2011, 08:49 PM
Do you realize that the gas tank on the BR600 is much smaller than competitors' gas tanks? So the fuel runs out quicker, it isn't necessarily due to fuel consumption.

I can't compare my BR600 to other brands but I love the power that mine has, really makes leaves easy.

Nice review though!

lawnboy dan
04-25-2011, 08:53 PM
dont expect it to go 4-5 years of daily use either

IRRITECH
04-25-2011, 09:04 PM
Do you realize that the gas tank on the BR600 is much smaller than competitors' gas tanks? So the fuel runs out quicker, it isn't necessarily due to fuel consumption.

Nice review though!

Just checked on that and the BR600 holds 30% less gas than the Shindy or the Kawi. Good point, and another con to add, long term blowing like leaves or large areas will result in more frequent gas fill ups, which results in more trips back to the truck.

modedicebox
04-25-2011, 09:05 PM
dont expect it to go 4-5 years of daily use either

Wrong. I have a few left I got when they first came out. Use the right oil/fuel and adjust valves each season. Great blowers.

hackitdown
04-25-2011, 09:27 PM
The fuel consumption on mine are pretty good. The tank is small, and if you have the single filter in the tank, it will often feel like it is running out even when there is 20% left.

The sound is much different than a regular 2 stroke. It is a little quieter, and it is a lower pitch. It is easy to associate the lower noise with less power.

The gas cap sucks ass.

I have had mine for 4 years of daily use, and heavy fall use.

ed2hess
04-25-2011, 10:53 PM
Wrong. I have a few left I got when they first came out. Use the right oil/fuel and adjust valves each season. Great blowers.
Yea tell that to all the guys that had the valves stuck in top of the cyclinder. No reason to buy those units at all unless you can't pack a little weight.

jas1980
04-26-2011, 12:36 AM

I can't compare my BR600 to other brands but I love the power that mine has, really makes leaves easy.

Nice review though!

I like the ergonomics of the Stihl more than the bigger tank of the Shindy. The Stihl blowers are a few noticeable pounds lighter and I get less sore. Because they are lighter, the plastic casing seems to be a bit more fragile. When we do leaf cleanups my trailer has 3 blowers on it, 2 stihl-1 shindaiwa. I take a Stihl and my two laborers fight for the other one.

And Im on season 3 of a BR600 and I expect at least one more good year from it. Im using it constantly on a grass cutting route. Even if you took half ass care of a BR600, you'll get your investments worth from it.

weeze
04-26-2011, 12:38 AM
i vote for the stihl br600...i'd rather have lighter weight than a little more power any day...either one will get the job done just the same

SkinnyVinny
04-26-2011, 12:48 AM
love mine, plenty of power just at a low rev which is awesome i think... I dont get what the big deal is with the cap... half twist and pull.. push back in and half twist opposite way... unless your a ******, i really cant see how anyone can complain about this... The only thing that does suck is the gas..

ashgrove landscaping
04-26-2011, 01:14 AM
I have to agree that the br 600 is under powered. My old 7001 red max out performs it easily. Side by side comparison. I don't understand all the hype about stihl products either. They re just regular and it comes down to preference. I redmax , husky and stihl. ALL GREAT PRODUCTS.

madisonpressurewashing
04-26-2011, 01:16 AM
The older caps have a design flaw.

Richard Martin
04-26-2011, 04:03 AM
The newest Stihl BR600s have a screw in cap similar to the old caps. The flip cap is gone. It's also been a while since any reports of valves breaking off have been heard. The issue with the valves was actually with the valve guide slipping. The guide would slip and prevent the valve from closing. The piston would come up and hit the valve breaking it off. Stihl fixed that a long time ago. The fuel tank issue has been fixed with a dual filter setup inside of the tank.

It can take up to 5 tanks of gas before the BR600 starts to break in. Once it breaks in it should have plenty of power. You may also want to make sure the throttle cable is properly adjusted. The instructions for doing so are in your manual.

haybaler
04-26-2011, 07:46 AM
ya, newer ones are awesome, older ones sucked(handfull of broken gas caps, you can only run until tank is half empty and thing starts to die out...). I don't like spending $500 bucks to test them out for them. Get it right the first time. The new ones also use a lot less fuel.

JPsDuramax
04-26-2011, 07:58 AM
I bought one in 08 and loved it. (I did have a BR400 prior too). The spark arrestor clogs pretty quick. I removed mine and have no problems until this year when I had carb problems from ethanol. Bought a magnum while it was in the shop, and love it as well. Supposedly they corrected the problems with ethanol in these new machines, I guess time will tell.

As far as gas consumption goes, they suck a lot more fuel than the 400, but move more leaves quicker. So I guess they are more efficient for the fall. For everyday blow off,you'll notice a slight increase in fuel consumption over 400 series.
Posted via Mobile Device

IRRITECH
04-26-2011, 09:49 PM
Let me clarify, this is a Magnum. Doesn't matter, performance is still lacking. Compared to a Br400 it is night and day. I had a 400 before picked up the KRB750. Then I bought the Shindaiwa and it was night and day again. Just expected more.