PDA

View Full Version : Late Payment

Hardcore5657
04-25-2011, 09:03 PM
When do you stop mowing there lawn? I have a client that is 2 going on too 3 weeks late, when do i say pay or i stop cutting?

jsslawncare
04-25-2011, 09:13 PM
I cut 2 times and thats it. Round-up does wonders.

Dr.NewEarth
04-25-2011, 09:21 PM
It's not warm enough for Round-up. Try Diesel fuel.

Dr.NewEarth
04-25-2011, 09:25 PM
Actually, does your State have a mechanics or builders lien law? Perhaps your can google that to get more insight. I know if payments are late here, we can withold services to try to force faster payment.

I don't think that always works, because if we don't cut a lawn for a couple of weeks
it's the landscaper who is out of time and money in the end.

Perhaps a note in the mailbox saying: I really enjoy working on your property, but your bill is late. If payment isn't made quickly, my company may be a possition to put a lien on the property.

Then again, do you make enough from them to cover the cost of a lien?

This year is weird. People and property managers have been playing plenty of games

It's frankly burning me out already.

topsites
04-25-2011, 09:25 PM
Depends how deep your pockets are.

Thomas Grundy
04-25-2011, 09:28 PM
If its a commercial property and big company they are always late. Well for me n e way. Bill them and wnt get paid till the end of the following month. Pends what their business cycle is. Residential just stop mowing.

ashgrove landscaping
04-25-2011, 11:00 PM
Talk to them and ask if there is any issues about the bill and if they need to work out some kind of payment plan. Give people a little time. The lawn bill is kinda low on the priority list unfortunately. But people will always pay, you just have to gently remind them. Weather it be another bill or a polite phone call if you are unable to speak face to face.

Rockwell Landscaping
04-25-2011, 11:20 PM
I bill at the end of every month. If I haven't received a payment by the end of the following month, it gets added to that billing. If I don't receive a payment by the end of THAT month, they get a phone call or an email to let them know I haven't received it yet. I have yet to stop mowing a lawn because payments haven't been made. As the post above me said, landscapers are at the bottom of the get paid list. I've gone as long as 3 months without getting paid. I guess I'm just a nice guy. But I've never been screwed. I always get my money, eventually. LOL.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
04-25-2011, 11:43 PM
10 days past due, and I cut off mowing. So, that may mean 2-3 cuts beyond the month before that they had been billed for.

MOHUSTLER
04-26-2011, 08:39 AM
Give the people the beneffit of the doubt and approach them and ask them if they need on a payment plan. If they brush it off then stop service.

fireman gus
04-26-2011, 09:33 AM
Luckily with our clientele we have not had this problem. However our contingency plan is we bill twice. If by the second billing payment is not made we personnally contact the people and ask for payment. If payment is not received then, all services are then stopped. After service is stopped we no longer accept them back, even if payment is received.

Agape
04-26-2011, 10:36 AM
I just had a new start up cust. and I told him I bill around the 15th - 20th and its due first of month, and that he would recieve a pro-rated bill for this month. end of month came and no check.

Billed early (10th) to get it off my plate and sent new invoice and statement with a note saying" hi, if you need to pay on the 15th mid month that's fine, I just need to know"
by the service date (22nd) I hadn't heard from him so I didn't stop by to mow and I had a call that evening saying he had a check and was I going to stop by? etc...

Stop payment as sooooon as it is somewhat late and you can train your customers, or at the very least- just not rack up a huge bill.