PDA

View Full Version : SRM 265T or Stihl FS 56

TripleT
04-25-2011, 09:36 PM
When to buy Echo but was talked into buying a Stihl. Dealer had both, Echo at $320 and Stihl w/ handlebars at $270 (FS 55 w/o handle bars was $199). Thought this was strange because what he recommended was cheaper. Dealer recommended stihl said echo had been having issues w/ carbs. Did I make a mistake? Have not used it yet (having 2nd thoughts). Any advise would be appreciated.
rt

M.M.A. Mowing
04-25-2011, 09:41 PM
I have only ever used Stihl and have never been let down, besides their fuel lids, they have been great. Fires right up every time.

topsites
04-25-2011, 09:57 PM
You just have to try it out and see if you're happy with it, don't fret over the comparison anymore.

lawnboy dan
04-26-2011, 07:44 AM
the 55fs is a huge pos-get the echo

Alan0354
04-26-2011, 03:18 PM
That is not a fare comparison, Stihl model is a home owner model, 265 is the feature commercial model of Echo and do cost a lot more. It really depend on your wallet!!!

TripleT
04-26-2011, 08:40 PM
That is not a fare comparison, Stihl model is a home owner model, 265 is the feature commercial model of Echo and do cost a lot more. It really depend on your wallet!!!

My main objective was to get a quality trimmer, money is always an issue but more importantly I did not want to end up with something that I constantly had to work on or a trimmer that would not perform. I'm a research idiot (not always a good thing) and normally I would not have changed my mine but I hate to buy something and end up putting up w/ less for years down the road. It will be used around a farm not commercially so maybe its not a big deal.
rt

Snyder's Lawn Inc
04-26-2011, 08:47 PM
Bigger the better that FS55 will be a turd If going spend the money buy a 110 or 130 more power for them farm weeds

topsites
04-26-2011, 08:52 PM
My main objective was to get a quality trimmer, money is always an issue but more importantly I did not want to end up with something that I constantly had to work on or a trimmer that would not perform. I'm a research idiot (not always a good thing) and normally I would not have changed my mine but I hate to buy something and end up putting up w/ less for years down the road. It will be used around a farm not commercially so maybe its not a big deal.
rt

In terms of quality, Stihl makes them all the same, be they homeowner or commercial grade
the difference is in the amount of power they put out, but insofar as quality both homeowner
and commercial models of Stihl's both last forever.

The only thing I can think of, on a farm you're going to need something closer to an FS-100rx?
Like, if you're weedeating 3 miles of fence?
Every week?

But I don't know, although I do agree that the 265 Echo is far more powerful, I would have compared
the 265t to something like an FS85r (of course they don't make that one anymore) and I suppose maybe
the FS90 but that's a 4-clyde and they're awful powerful too, either way I do think the FS55 might be
a tee short on power.

ed2hess
04-26-2011, 10:11 PM
This one is a no brain er....hands down that Echo265T is a big winner and we haven't had any major problems in 3 years. We just bought 3 more this year so we have a total of 9 running. There is NO carb problem on these units. This just might be the most reliable trimmer since that old Shind T270.

topsites
04-26-2011, 10:44 PM
This one is a no brain er....hands down that Echo265T is a big winner and we haven't had any major problems in 3 years. We just bought 3 more this year so we have a total of 9 running. There is NO carb problem on these units. This just might be the most reliable trimmer since that old Shind T270.

Oh yeah I still have my srm260s that I bought my 2nd year, although I did have to short block it last year
and today I noticed it leaking fuel but not only is it in back of my truck meaning it still gets used but they
are one of the best in terms of longevity.

fobaum
04-26-2011, 10:47 PM
I agree w/ ed2hess, but i personally like the 280t's i power walk

Alan0354
04-26-2011, 11:58 PM
rt

Between the two, I'll go with the 265.

lawnboy dan
04-27-2011, 07:56 AM
i was recently given a like new sthil fs 55. i gave it a fair trail but its so poorly desighned -i couldnt stand it. too short-too heavy -ill balanced and the head was very hard to re load. the engine was its sole virtue-smooth powerfull and easy starting. a big improvment over the fs85 engine. i gave it away. sthil just dosnt get it and continues to turn out products very poorly desighned and user unfriendly. the only decent product they ever came out with was the br400-backpack.