PDA

View Full Version : First Paver Walkway

ZKSLAWN
04-25-2011, 10:10 PM
Ok so i did a patio last year but it was over a concrete slab.. So this will be my first hardscape that i will do a base for and everything start to finish. here is the outline i was thinking of having the right side go all the way to the patio but went with this instead.. i have only dug up about 3 inches so far so if you guys think it will look better that way please tell me... i didn't get a pic of it dug out cuz it was dark so heres the only pic i have for tonight.

and from what i can tell it looks like Colonial Cobble City blend.. If its not please tell me.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m67/zach103/IMG00079-20110425-1848.jpg

ZKSLAWN
04-26-2011, 09:54 PM
Heres what i did yesterday but didn't get a pic of. I hit clay so gotta break it up more and had other stuff to do today.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m67/zach103/IMG00081-20110426-1945.jpg

Schrock Lawns
04-26-2011, 10:20 PM
looks good

KE-llc
04-26-2011, 10:44 PM
would you like me to tell you why your little walkway will fail in a few months

Coastal Lawn Maintenance
04-26-2011, 10:45 PM
what kinda of base did you use. or have you just dug out and getting ready to install

blk90s13
04-26-2011, 10:49 PM
waiting for pictures of the finished product

ZKSLAWN
04-26-2011, 11:27 PM

Please do.. im doing this to learn.

i will do the crushed stone base 4in and another 1in of sand.

jdo150
04-27-2011, 07:01 AM
How are you going to compact the base? rent a compactor or use a hand tamper If you use a hand tamper you better only fill the base in 1" lifts. Also use a little geo fabric under your base.

ZKSLAWN
04-27-2011, 08:01 AM
I havnt decided which way I'm going to compact it yet.. If the compactor is cheap ill get it. And ya I remember reading the 1" at a time to make sure its as compacted as it can be.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cam.at.Heritage
04-27-2011, 09:37 AM
OK couple things....

- If its all clay I would definitely go with geo-fabric
- Also go a little deeper to help make a stable base on the clay, 6"min
- Your base prep needs to be wider then your actual walkway, usually about 6" (this helps to support the pavers at the edge)
- Edge restraint?? Not crucial for a simple straight walk but worth looking at.
- Joint Material? Polymeric?
- I would invest the money in a plate compactor for a day its maybe $50

When your doing the compaction lay down an skim of 'A' gravel and then run the plate tamper over that, this will compact the base soil, then continue in lifts of 4" max (depending on what the tamper is rated too)

Good luck

orlawncaresvc
04-27-2011, 10:07 AM

Yeah dude, tell him why.
Posted via Mobile Device

ZKSLAWN
04-27-2011, 12:05 PM
OK couple things....

- If its all clay I would definitely go with geo-fabric
- Also go a little deeper to help make a stable base on the clay, 6"min
- Your base prep needs to be wider then your actual walkway, usually about 6" (this helps to support the pavers at the edge)
- Edge restraint?? Not crucial for a simple straight walk but worth looking at.
- Joint Material? Polymeric?
- I would invest the money in a plate compactor for a day its maybe $50

When your doing the compaction lay down an skim of 'A' gravel and then run the plate tamper over that, this will compact the base soil, then continue in lifts of 4" max (depending on what the tamper is rated too)

Good luck

Will deff do the fabric.. i went out 6 inches on each side and will go down deeper..

one question tho. i have some decorative stone about 3/4 in size that was used around a pool i took out.. can i use that for the base or do i have to get the 3/4 crushed stone.. and the sand they used to level the base of the pool can that be used for the top layer?.. if not thats ok just would rather use what i have than go buy more.

wiselandscaping
04-27-2011, 12:21 PM

one question tho. i have some decorative stone about 3/4 in size that was used around a pool i took out.. can i use that for the base or do i have to get the 3/4 crushed stone.. and the sand they used to level the base of the pool can that be used for the top layer?.. if not thats ok just would rather use what i have than go buy more.

Get new crushed stone. The compaction comes from the dust with the stone, not just the stone itself. If you use the stuff from around the pool, you will be mixing clean stone with a little dirt, which will just shift under your pavers as time progresses. I would also get new leveling sand. It's just cheap insurance to make sure the job is done right and will be around for many seasons to come.

BlazerRidge
04-27-2011, 12:55 PM
I would definitely get a plate compactor.

RIprop
04-27-2011, 03:55 PM
Perfect little starter job! Interested in seeing the finished product. Sounds like you'll do just fine with a compactor. Good luck!

jdo150
04-27-2011, 07:48 PM
What you want for the base is a 3/4" minus processed stone and I get it from Tilcon should be around 13 bucks a ton depending on the plant.

ZKSLAWN
04-27-2011, 09:24 PM
What you want for the base is a 3/4" minus processed stone and I get it from Tilcon should be around 13 bucks a ton depending on the plant.

I know I have 49 sq ft and need 6 inches.. Do you have any idea how much that would be for weight.. Or should one ton be enough..
I looked online a while ago and becuz its weight its hard to figure out.

What plant did u go to.. I'm close to the plainville.

Sorry for all the questions guys just my way of learning,
Posted via Mobile Device

wiselandscaping
04-27-2011, 09:46 PM
Sorry for all the questions guys just my way of learning,
Posted via Mobile Device

Ask away!
:usflag:

KE-llc
04-27-2011, 11:09 PM
Edge restraint is optional?? hahah you must be joking.
Base needs to be wider & deeper.
Don't be cheap, put the fabric down with a 3/4" QP base and then masonry sand. Compact with a vibratory plate compactor, NOT by hand like these other HACKS on here do. Lay pavers, put plywood over them and go over with plate compactor. Scrape away sand from side of paver down to QP, install edge restraint, sweep in polymetric sand, backfill edges with topsoil and water down.
Posted via Mobile Device

ZKSLAWN
04-27-2011, 11:43 PM
Don't be cheap, put the fabric down with a 3/4" QP base and then masonry sand. Compact with a vibratory plate compactor, NOT by hand like these other HACKS on here do. Lay pavers, put plywood over them and go over with plate compactor. Scrape away sand from side of paver down to QP, install edge restraint, sweep in polymetric sand, backfill edges with topsoil and water down.
Posted via Mobile Device

my base is 6 inches wider on each side.. i will do that tho.

Southern Pride
04-27-2011, 11:50 PM
Looks like it's going to look great man. I cannot wait to start getting into hardscapes, and more actual landscape jobs. The same old cut, cleanup, hedges, and mulch has been getting old. It'd be nice to run a crew doing regular maintenance to free up time to do estimates and these type jobs (where the real $$$ at)

Were you referring to extending the walkway at a wide angle so it meets the front of the patio? Like keep the left side straight and then widen the other side to meet?

ZKSLAWN
04-28-2011, 12:04 AM
the black is what i have now... or i can do the red.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m67/zach103/IMG00081-20110426-1945-1.jpg

Southern Pride
04-28-2011, 12:18 AM
Okay good that's what I thought you meant. I think the simple design you have going now is better. Sometimes less = more. I want to get into hardscapes so bad but it's not something I could just "jump" into. I'd need someone to show me the ropes.

jhouchins
04-28-2011, 06:04 AM
Good project to get your feet wet. Good luck. You will do fine. Lots of solid advice given.

jdo150
04-28-2011, 07:21 AM
The way I figure the amout out is to get the area in cubic yards and then figure that one cubic yards of Processed stone weighs about 3000 lbs. Then multiply the amount of yards by 3000 equaling a total weight in pounds and then deviding that by 2000 to get tons. I usally go to North Haven Wallingford or North Branford depending on where Im working. I don't know if you can go in there with a pick up tho (I don't know how you plan to get it so I asume you only have a pick up), I always take my ten wheeler in there and thats all I ever see in there. I would call the plainville plant and talk to someone there and ask. IF they won't do it call a local quary or supplier and they should have it and probley have masonary sand too.

Cam.at.Heritage
04-28-2011, 07:28 AM
Edge restraint is optional?? hahah you must be joking[/i][/size]

I have seen lots of small walkways without edge restraint that do just fine. There is no load so its not going to be shifting much. Yes the proper way is to use edge restraint but to save on costs its not uncommon to skip it. Personally I always use it and always account for it but lots of times the homeowner has asked to leave it out to save money and its just fine, even on driveways!

And whats this plywood for when compacting?? I have never seen that done before.

BlazerRidge
04-28-2011, 09:13 AM
What kind of fabric are you going to us? Geo grid?

JeffNY
04-28-2011, 09:31 AM
And whats this plywood for when compacting?? I have never seen that done before.

put it on top of the pavers after the poly sand er whatever, so you don't damage the pavers with the compactor.

ZKSLAWN
04-28-2011, 10:41 AM
Southern. Just do what I'm doing. This is my yard. Like said above get your feet wet.

I may just end up getting it at my mulch guy cuz they will have the fabric stone and sand at the same place..

As for the plywood on the last one I did I used cardboard no chance in damage with the cardboard
Posted via Mobile Device

MFNA
04-28-2011, 03:41 PM
hey guys i have a question about this type work
What are the most stable restraints to use on the edge looking for somethin that will not bend preferably steel but havent been able to find anything yet suggestions???

ZKSLAWN
05-06-2011, 06:43 PM
ok back at it.. rented a dingo to finish up removing the sand and stone from a persons house so i used it to finish digging the walkway. How does it look so far? im getting the stone tomorrow.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m67/zach103/IMG00097-20110506-1801.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m67/zach103/IMG00096-20110506-0824.jpg

bobcat48
05-06-2011, 08:58 PM
Looks great,nice project.

THEGOLDPRO
05-06-2011, 09:01 PM
How did you like using the little dingo? I almost bought one at an auction last week.

ZKSLAWN
05-06-2011, 09:18 PM
Thanks Bobcat...

GoldPro it was actually realy easy to use.. only problem i had was the controls for bucket were inverted which i have never been able to get the hang over lol... made the job so much easier.

ZKSLAWN
06-19-2011, 10:46 PM
ok so ive been inbetween work and a couple other projects but i got tired of the stone sitting in the driveway so i decided to have at it.. today i finished the last 3 inches of stone. and inch of sand and did the pavers.. it was late when i finished so i didn't do any cuts or the poly sand but here it is right now.. some pavers were still wet.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m67/zach103/IMG-20110619-00016.jpg
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m67/zach103/IMG-20110619-00013.jpg

PerkinsLawnAndLandscaping
06-20-2011, 01:12 AM
How do you charge for this kind of work?

Ramairfreak98ss
07-16-2011, 03:18 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Lol good stuff... We use the hand tampers still for corners the plate can't reach easy but yeah, tried tamping by hand even small areas is a lost battle.
Posted via Mobile Device