PDA

View Full Version : What should I do about a yard that turns into a pond

Byerley
04-26-2011, 12:47 AM
I have a customer that his yard slops into the middle and fills in with water. I am bring in a few yards of top soil to level it. Is there anything else that I should do to help keep the water out of the yard. (I was kinda thinking a french drain around the side that is at the top of the yard :cool2:

lukemelo216
04-26-2011, 10:59 AM
you cant just add topsoil and a frech drain and poof problem is gone, because its just really going to lead to another problem. You need to look at the actual grade, and fix it. So if its higher by the house lower in the middle and then higher in the back of the yard adding topsoil to it will do nothing. You would just need to finish creating the swail. Meaning, figure out which direction is lower and cut it so the water flows that way. But that could involve tearing up a good portion of his property, depending on the current condition of it.

Smallaxe
04-26-2011, 12:13 PM
If you are not going to drain the pool, why would you make ten times the work to drain the perimeter?

lukemelo216
04-26-2011, 10:39 PM
I am saying he cant just add topsoil to the middle and bam its fixed. He probably needs to regrade the entire area around it. Theres something causing it to pool up there, so why only fix part of the problem and not the entire thing? IF the lawn isnt graded correctly, its just going to create a higher area of pooling water.

grassman177
04-26-2011, 11:03 PM
dont forget the deep tine aeration to help percolation! it is not overrated at all.

Smallaxe
04-27-2011, 05:12 AM
I would lift the sod there, dig out a large enough area and put in a decent sandy topsoil that drains excess surface water through the soil... That should end it...

Regrading clay to drain in one direction or other means ripping up at least half the lawn, but probably all of it. We don't even know where it could go or should go. Into the ground is best, IMO... :