PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation on push mowers

tjjn06
04-26-2011, 01:50 AM
Looking for recommendations on 21" - 26" push mowers. Quality of cut and durability are a given. Another requirement is quality striping capabilities.

JPsDuramax
04-26-2011, 07:45 AM
Look at the commercial Honda and commercial Toro with the blade brake clutch. I have one of each and both are great machines. My Honda is close to 20'and still going strong. The advantage th Honda has is that the transmission is hydrostatic versus belt drive on the toro. But the toro does better stripping. My .02
Posted via Mobile Device

gasracer
04-26-2011, 10:00 AM
I tried the Toro with the blade clutch and had nothing but issues with it.For the the cost I just buy El Depot mowers keep the blades sharp and and replace them every couple of years. I can't justify $800 for a Honda push mower since I have a 36" commercial to do most of my small stuff.

tjjn06
04-26-2011, 01:36 PM
Any particular models you are using?

MOHUSTLER
04-26-2011, 03:36 PM
Honda, Snapper and Toro are your top end brands. All are good or equaly as crappy. However you want to look at it.

FuturePilot4u
04-26-2011, 03:39 PM
Honda HRX or toro super recycler
Posted via Mobile Device

h2oskier
04-26-2011, 05:57 PM
Hrx honda 217 not commercial but a damn good and functional 21" lawn machine.
The advantages, are you can mulch or bag with the slide of a lever verus a plug, it has the BBC these guys are talking about, and well the quality of the engine speaks for it self.
Draw back, it does not have a commercial air filter so youll have to clean or change it more often.

P.S. it also has the nexite deck, means no rust and easier to clean.

bobcat48
04-26-2011, 06:18 PM
Toro,honda and cub cadet:usflag:

Chevy z71
04-26-2011, 07:41 PM
Exmark,toro,honda.

LibertyFarmLandscaping
04-26-2011, 09:13 PM
Take a look at the Ybravo 25" mower if you have a dealer in your area. www.ybravo.com

We have ran 2 of these this season with great results. Same weight as a 21". Great mulching and bagging.

topsites
04-26-2011, 10:38 PM
Yeah that little Honda HRX is the tool, I have the HRR and I think even that one rocks
thou I use it ONLY for trim mowing, nothing serious... But it does get used, at least weekly.

gasracer
04-27-2011, 12:18 AM
Take a look at the Ybravo 25" mower if you have a dealer in your area. www.ybravo.com

We have ran 2 of these this season with great results. Same weight as a 21". Great mulching and bagging.

117 pounds? I wouldn't want to lift that thing into the back of my truck. That is where I carry mine if I have both large machines on the trailer. I will stick to my 80 pound Troy bilt and buy a new one every couple of years.

RECESSION PROOF MOWING
04-27-2011, 12:26 AM
Snapper commercial, i've had a john deere caster wheel that did a good job...presently using lawn boy orange tank commercials and i've got a toro gts personal pace on the truck. My employees like the personal pace option even though you might consider this toro gts a residential/light commercial machine. It's a mulcher and does the job on those manicured, weekly lawns. Best mower i've ever had is the lb commercial units.

lawnboy dan
04-27-2011, 08:59 AM
toro proline-the only serious choise

orlawncaresvc
04-27-2011, 10:55 AM
A few years ago I've would of told you to go with the Honda commercial HRC 216. But with the new one that came out with, we are not a big fan of it. It is just about the same mower we have. You see we have an older one. The one right before they came out with the new one. Almost identical except the motor. Ours has the GXV 160 rated at 5.5 hp with a max out put of 6 hp. The new Honda has GXV 160 rated at 4.3 hp with a max out put of 4.8. Now this machine is heavy. About 127 lbs. Probably the heaviest in it's class. Going from a 5.5 to a 4.8 I don't think was a good idea. But it is a he'll of a durable machine. We have had ours for 6 years with a grip of hours on it. And it still turns on on it's first pull and cuts awesome still. We were able to demo the new exmark 21 inch with the Kawasaki engine and we were not to impressed with it. The bagging was lousy. The cut on it was great and it was very fast. Probably the fastest machine in it's class. Too fast. If you can find a Honda with the 5.5 engine buy it don't think about it, buy it. Probably the best mower in it's class. Oh and it has twin blade with micro cut.
Posted via Mobile Device

tjjn06
04-27-2011, 02:02 PM
We were able to demo the new exmark 21 inch with the Kawasaki engine and we were not to impressed with it. The bagging was lousy. The cut on it was great and it was very fast. Probably the fastest machine in it's class. Too fast. If you can find a Honda with the 5.5 engine buy it don't think about it, buy it. Probably the best mower in it's class. Oh and it has twin blade with micro cut.

I've heard a lot of not so nice things about the redesign on the exmarks.

I have been doing research on all of the models that everyone has posted. Thanks for the help!

LibertyFarmLandscaping
04-27-2011, 11:05 PM
117 pounds? I wouldn't want to lift that thing into the back of my truck. That is where I carry mine if I have both large machines on the trailer. I will stick to my 80 pound Troy bilt and buy a new one every couple of years.

I wasn't comparing it to your 80 lb troy bilt. I was comparing it to the Toro Proline and Honda HRC. I'm glad your Troy Bilt works well for you and last you that long.

With tight spots spread over 2 electic power plants that total 28 acres per property, 2 apartment complexes with multiple grass strips in the parking area and tight areas throughout the property, 28 postage stamp town home lawns, and 7 Burger Kings the 2 26" Ybravo mowers have increased productivity over the 21's.

I have tried residential units in the past but, with 20 to 30 hours per machine of use per week I'm lucky to get a month or two out of them before the wheels fall off of them. Especially with employees operating them.

Merkava_4
04-28-2011, 02:02 AM
Take a look at the Ybravo 25" mower if you have a dealer in your area.

I did today. It's a very nice mower, but the handle hight seems pretty low. The handle comes to about 8 inches below
my belt. I asked the shop if it was adjustable, they said no. I'm not a tall person either; I'm just 73 inches tall.