PDA

View Full Version : Aerators

teye69
04-26-2011, 12:08 PM
Can anyone advise me concerning the Plugr Aerator PL800. How fast is it?
I will be working mostly on flat residential yards. Is the 800 a good choice for such aerating jobs?

I am a college student that can not find a job. There is a 800 plugr for sale nearby and it is almost new. I think I will buy it and try the aerating business in place of a summer job. How much is this unit worth? 2010 model and like I said almost new.

Is this a good unit for residential work? Any comments would be welcomed and I need them right away.

Thanks

elitelawnteam1
04-26-2011, 12:18 PM
I think I will buy it and try the aerating business in place of a summer job. Thanks

Aerating is done during the Spring and the Fall nobody aerates in the summer. And from what i've seen so far, is that most people have hired LCOs to take care of it or do it themselves already, so you're kindof late

teye69
04-26-2011, 12:32 PM
I was going to target the individuals that mow their own lawns. If they aerate their lawns it costs $55.00 to rent the machine and I would do the same job for 45 to 50 dollars. I live in a very dense populated area. Am I being short sighted with this idea?

aeration
04-26-2011, 08:17 PM
Why would you charge less than the customer can even rent the machine for? Even if you charged them the same price as the rental, they would come out ahead. If they have a fixed cost of $55, they would still be saving time and labor of performing the job themselves by using your services. In addition, you might consider charging more than the rental price. For example, $80. If they have $55 in the rental, this is the fixed cost. They are really only paying $25 above the fixed cost to have you aerate. Don't cut yourself short.

oakwdman
04-26-2011, 08:37 PM
Go for mulch if you can. All you need is a rakes, pitchfork and a wheelbarrow. Much lower investment with a bit higher margins depending on how you look at it..

RigglePLC
04-26-2011, 11:57 PM
Go for it. But aeration is hard work. Above poster is correct. Charge for the use of the machine. And charge 50 cents a minute for your labor. If fact if you are skilled--or if you have to get sweaty or dirty, or if the job requires physical stamina...then you should charge a dollar per minute.
Remember the machine is heavy--not at all easy to transport. No way an average woman can lift it into her trunk. Or two strong men. And lots of people do not have a trailer--and lots have no trailer hitch.

And be sure to offer grass seed following the aeration. Regular and Scotts premium. Very easy to do.

And be sure you are ready to cope with damage to sprinkler heads, cable TV, and radio dog fence. A $300 bill could kill your profit for the week. Call the cable TV people and talk with them before you start.

teye69
04-27-2011, 12:00 AM
Wow! Great advice from all. Thank you very much. One question: how would I charge for Mulch? And for seed for that matter.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me.

teye69
04-27-2011, 12:02 AM
As far as transporting the aerator, I have a dodge dakota pick up and some ramps. I should be able to push it up the ramp and also lower it. I weight 180 pounds and can bench press 285 and squat 400.

Exact Rototilling
04-29-2011, 01:31 PM
As long as the properties are very flat it will work out ok. How much?

teye69
04-29-2011, 03:36 PM
$2500.00 for the PL800

teye69
04-29-2011, 03:37 PM
Do you know of anyone that has one used and for sale?

I would rather go that route, spend less to start.

teye69
05-20-2011, 05:38 PM
Can anyone send a review of the Ryan Lawnaire V. Need info on this unti.