PDA

View Full Version : measuring for quotes

cutntrim
03-03-2000, 02:06 PM
Do you guys use a wheel measurer to accurately measure each individual property you are quoting on? We don't do this for each residential property, instead we know the measurements of our current residential customers and when looking at a potential new lawn we figure it in the same ballpark size-wise as an existing lawn on our list. We don't feel this is too hard to do for lawns less than 10,000 sq.ft. However, a lot of guys have their prices figured to the exact square foot measurement, how do the rest of you quote?<p>----------<br>Dave in S.Ontario<br>

JasonPC
03-03-2000, 07:20 PM
We use a measuring wheel. It's more professional than using your feet or eyeballing a property. We charge a $25 stop fee + $6/1,000 sq ft.<p>JPC

steven Bousquet
03-07-2000, 09:22 PM
we measure and count everything. we have wheels in all 12 trucks.we count every tree and shrub,height,diameter. we soil test each lawn,note thatch,turf type, soil type etc.when using pesticides we have to have correct measurments for calabrations. we found acouple of thousand feet here and there can make a big difference in production and pesticide use.

cutntrim
03-08-2000, 09:09 AM
Your right. We've wheel measured all of our lawns to provide us with more accurate material costs.<p>----------<br>Dave in S.Ontario<br>

crew
03-08-2000, 09:50 AM
jpc- $6 per sq' seems high compared to other numbers ive seen. I am working on certification now and am beginning to gather info on bidding.Is the $6 figure fairly standard in your market? Does that seem high to anyone else out there?

Lazer
03-08-2000, 07:52 PM
We measure everything, but we're no overly precise. I mean if we're within 1,000 sq. ft. on a residential, I feel that's close enough.<p>As far as the $25 + $6, that's about double what most guys get around here.<p>Trugreen only charges about $2.50/M here.

dylan
03-09-2000, 02:49 PM
Just wanted to make sure I am reading this right. The $25 stop fee and $6/1000 sq ft is charged when doing a quote?<br>Dylan<br>

JasonPC
03-12-2000, 01:19 PM
It's not charged when doing a quote. If a customer has 5000 square feet, then we charge ($25 + $6*5)*5 steps = $275. I think the cost is high too. However, I'm being raped on my supplies. My supply cost for the $275 is $130. Therefore, we're only making $145 profit. Doesn't the supply cost sound high as hell??<p>Nicole and Jason

Lazer
03-12-2000, 03:48 PM
$26 per year per 1,000 square feet?!<p>What in the world are you applying?<p>Obviously you include pure organic fertilizer, weed control, crabgrass control, surface feeding insect control, grub control and fungicide. <p>But even all those would only total $16-20/M/yr.<p>What else is in the program?

mngrassguy
03-28-2008, 09:34 AM
We measure everything, but we're no overly precise. I mean if we're within 1,000 sq. ft. on a residential, I feel that's close enough.<p>As far as the $25 + $6, that's about double what most guys get around here.<p>Trugreen only charges about $2.50/M here.

Depends on if your in business to make money or not. Do you provide the same quality of service as TG or better? $61.00/app for 6000 sq's sounds about right. That price is only "hard to get" if you offer a sub quality service. TG is prob getting more than that but that's what you hear from people who are looking for you to "bargain" your services. How is your service better than the other guy? Do you use the same person on someones lawn all year or a different one EVERY time? Do you "bug" your clients every week with new services? Focus on what you do better and not negatives. You will find you can charge what ever you want if you provide the right kind of service.

Remember, a low rate is still to much to pay if you don't get what you want....

vegomatic40
03-28-2008, 10:59 AM
Get in the habit of measuring each lawn as accurately as possible from the get-go. When first starting a few thousand sq. ft. matters little either way. When you grow larger, it can be a huge factor in profitability. If you have 10 lawns that are undermeasured by 1000 sq ft., it matters little when ordering material since you only have to account for a little extra in products. Multiply that by 1000 and you soon get a serious amount of products not to mention loss of revenue. Over-ordering materials can affect your bottom line as well but is far less common in this business.

pinto n mwr
03-28-2008, 11:09 AM
prices vary per region, demographics, etc...
figure YOUR costs and go from there. If someone comes in low without sacrificing quality and they know they can make a decent margin then it is what it is. Now if a person comes in low just to get the job or doesn't know their costs then that is not good.
FYI on the TG for 6000 sqft, they're at $58 per an estimate request a week ago.

mngrassguy
03-28-2008, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the TG quote. I like to stay about $3.00 more then them because I think my service is just slightly better...lol

My sis just got a quote from them 10,000 sq's for $82.00 x 6. Same as last year

pinto n mwr
03-28-2008, 11:19 AM
you should see the actual piece of paper i got! WOW! Chicken scatch

mngrassguy
03-28-2008, 11:26 AM
same here. I can hardly read it

mattfromNY
03-28-2008, 03:10 PM
same here. I can hardly read it

I saw a TG quote/ contract proposed to one of my apt. complexes, Extreme jumble of nonsense. Hard to read, no organization, and on this particular page they had two different prices for the same service, but listed under two different headings. I dont think the sales guy even knew how to fill it out correctly. :hammerhead:

whoopassonthebluegrass
03-29-2008, 01:09 PM
I measure them all. I don't want work unless I'm making the money I need. I'd rather be at home than work my tail off for less than I deserve...

jpc- $6 per sq' seems high compared to other numbers ive seen. I am working on certification now and am beginning to gather info on bidding.Is the $6 figure fairly standard in your market? Does that seem high to anyone else out there?

Guys, never compare apples to oranges. We all have varying programs. There's the stripped down cost-sensitive guys, clear up to the no-holds-barred do everything you could possibly need guys. Cost per thousand doesn't just freely equate between us...

Again, apples to oranges. I used to think this way to, got sick of competing with lowballers, and went premium. I charge $49 for the first 5M and $6/M thereafter. And having gone high end, my clientèle list is sooooo much better to deal with and work for than when I was trying to win the price-shoppers...

mngrassguy
03-29-2008, 01:27 PM
Yellow Page advertising is great if all your looking for are price shoppers.

That said, yes, I do measure every lawn. I helps when ordering fert. I like being able to pull up to a lawn, look at the size, fill my hopper and have 1/2 cup remaining when done.

ted putnam
03-29-2008, 03:22 PM
I measure them all. I don't want work unless I'm making the money I need. I'd rather be at home than work my tail off for less than I deserve...

Guys, never compare apples to oranges. We all have varying programs. There's the stripped down cost-sensitive guys, clear up to the no-holds-barred do everything you could possibly need guys. Cost per thousand doesn't just freely equate between us...

Again, apples to oranges. I used to think this way to, got sick of competing with lowballers, and went premium. I charge $49 for the first 5M and $6/M thereafter. And having gone high end, my clientèle list is sooooo much better to deal with and work for than when I was trying to win the price-shoppers...

I have gone the route you have gone. I agree with every point you just made. You and I are definitely on the same page!

no_longer_lurker
03-29-2008, 05:52 PM
It's not charged when doing a quote. If a customer has 5000 square feet, then we charge ($25 + $6*5)*5 steps = $275. I think the cost is high too. However, I'm being raped on my supplies. My supply cost for the $275 is $130. Therefore, we're only making $145 profit. Doesn't the supply cost sound high as hell??<p>Nicole and Jason

yikes!
Dude, thats like 47%
I might be able to help out IF you're close enough to me

send me a PM if you'd like

garydale
03-31-2008, 11:47 AM
I don't measure every lawn. After 35 years I can judge most lawn size.
We spend more time on judging the difficulty,swimming pool,fish pond,hills,fences&gates, tight areas, and the attitude of the homeowner. A$$holes definitely pay more!

We get lot size and aerial photos off the internet. I attach a copy to the blank estimate from for my people to use when preparing an estimate.

I believe you need to get estimates out quickly and not waste time trying to be perfect.
We get 1 out 7 estimates on average. If you get everyone your too cheap and if you get none your too high.

tlg
03-31-2008, 09:48 PM
We measure every lawn. In order to be in compliance with the Michigan Dept of Ag we must keep a record of the square footage that we service. This info also helps when ordering materials etc.. It doesn't take long to measure a lawn and you can do it while doing an analysis. We service some large commercial properties up to 9 acres as well as residential properties from 2000 sq feet up to 2 acres . Having this info helps plan our daily routing and how much material to load on our trucks. Even though I too can "guesstimate" a lawn and be pretty close in my 30 years of being in this business, I still believe that the measuring wheel never lies and you don't rely on a hunch. We also consider the level of difficulty when quoting new work and will mark up accordingly. I can't think of any other trade or a profession that would ever consider not measuring whatever it is they will be doing. Why is that some lawn care professionals still don't think it's important? Imagine what your home would look like if carpenters just eyeballed everything.

whoopassonthebluegrass
03-31-2008, 09:51 PM
Imagine what your home would look like if carpenters just eyeballed everything.

Haha. That's good. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

tlg
03-31-2008, 10:01 PM
Thanks. :)

Frank Fescue
04-01-2008, 03:41 PM
if im dealing with a price shopping customer i usually just ask for a quote from chemlawn or scotts to come out to a property and tell them that i own it and to send the surveyto my adress. then i tell them to put me and my accounts on a DO NOT CALL list and then the customer bidding gets angry that chemlawn wont call them back and i come in a couple bucks cheaper.

Mscotrid
04-01-2008, 04:43 PM
if im dealing with a price shopping customer i usually just ask for a quote from chemlawn or scotts to come out to a property and tell them that i own it and to send the surveyto my adress. then i tell them to put me and my accounts on a DO NOT CALL list and then the customer bidding gets angry that chemlawn wont call them back and i come in a couple bucks cheaper.

UH,,,,,,OKAY I CAN SEE THE PROFESSIONALISM FROM HERE.....:hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

Ric
04-01-2008, 04:55 PM

Frank

Cheap price, Cheap work, High Profit margin.

I see you learned the greenest thing in the application business is the green dollar.

vegomatic40
04-01-2008, 07:16 PM
So Frank...Lets say that you called Scotts or Trugreen to do the estimate and to send the estimate to you as you "own" the property. Customer is unaware that the estimate is being done but see's the guy out measuring and stops him to ask "WTF?!" After the sales rep or tech. does a little digging, he finds out through tax records or a simple internet search that you in fact are scamming the company for information. Get a VERY good lawyer well versed in business law and hold on for dear life.

sprayboy
04-01-2008, 09:39 PM

So if the other company doesn't measure and under bids the job then you really screw yourself.
I measure every lawn so I don't lose money on my own laziness. It also helps keep peace in mind that you are still calibrated.

A lot of people I give quotes to are price shopping. If they question the measurement it is easy to prove your right by walking the lawn with them.

I also say if a company can't get the easy part of measuring right then how good are they at the application process. I've gotten quite a few lawns that way, just being honest.

greendoctor
04-02-2008, 02:40 AM
I measure. Some of what I am applying to the lawn has little margin for error. You cannot get away with much when doing warm season grasses. Also, I do not like any leftovers, neither food nor a herbicide mix. Therefore I mix only enough for an individual property and no more. What can be sprayed on zoysia, often must not be sprayed on centipede or st augustine, and what is often applied to centipede will wipe out everything else. On a given day, I might be treating four different grassses. Again, leftovers are bad.

naughty62
04-03-2008, 07:54 AM
I just wheel it out ,talk to customer if they are home .I never round up to the nearest 1000ft..Some people already know their lot size and sq.footage of homes and buildings .Nothing like starting a business relation with a air of distrust.If its a p.i.t.a property then just quote em to the high side.too many shoppers .