PDA

View Full Version : Classen overseeder

GWhunter
04-26-2011, 01:40 PM
So today I picked up a rental Classen push type overseeder. I was expecting much better results. I had it on the lowest height setting and in some area it didn't even scratch the surface. I used many angles of attack and looked to see if there were any adjustments to be made. The lawn is smooth and bump free. Is it possible it was in need of blade replacement or something? I could have gotten better results with my towbehind dethatcher. Is there another brand overseeder that will get better penetration? I should mention it didn't have pneumatic tires and was a pita to push around. I've seen slice seeding done plenty of times and never seen this issue occur. Usually the slices are quite deep.

I didn't bother adding the seed with it as it seemed I'd be better off with it in my broadcast spreader. Any thought on my experiance?

Matt

EastCoast
04-26-2011, 03:22 PM
I purchased a Lawn Solutions Turf Revitilizer last year and even though it's for home use, it was a great investment. The machine is truely amazing, easy to use with fantastic results. I'm not sure where your located but I would shoot Lawn Solutions an email (sales@lawnsolutionscp.com) to see if there are any rentals in your area.

GWhunter
04-26-2011, 08:31 PM
I've rented a blue bird in the past (looks very similar to the classen) and it work quite well. When I retuned it to the place they asked how it worked. I was honest with them and the seemed not at all suprized. They offered to loan me a classen plug aerator for the bubble. I had already used the tow behind dethatcher. Is it worth using the plugger at this point? We had lots of heavy snow this past winter and I've noticed light soil compaction. At this point I'm thinking of waiting until fall. Your thought?

Matt

mishmosh
04-29-2011, 07:11 PM
condition of rental units varies. I personally would not trust the calibration on the drop spreader part and just spread the seeds yourself. It is also one less thing to worry about when using the machine. Just use it to prep the soil (which it does very well) and broadcast/drop seed afterwards.