PDA

View Full Version : How do you find workers?????? HELP!

cuttin-to-the-Max
04-26-2011, 06:30 PM
Im running 2 crews this year and for some reason cant find too many people...
How do you guys find workers? Im thinking my starting pay will be like 10 bucks an hr.. Thats what alot of guys are paying their workers but really pay depends on experience! Where do you post job openings?????

BradLewisLawnCare
04-26-2011, 07:19 PM
two guys i just hired were on craigslist. they both hired at $10 another wanted $12. I interviewed them to find a fit. 3/6 showed up for interviews. 2 got the job.

martinslandscaping
04-26-2011, 08:03 PM
When you find please let me know what you did, here in bellefontaine ohio I cant find good help, need 3 guys have 3 good ones

nobagger
04-26-2011, 08:10 PM
Ive just given up!

cuttin-to-the-Max
04-26-2011, 08:16 PM
Seems like no one wants to work posted ads on c-list but got like 5 people none qualified! Some didnt even show up to get interviewed.... Last year my fax machine was blown uppp with workers!
Posted via Mobile Device

IRRITECH
04-26-2011, 09:13 PM
Been there done that , sorry guys. Now we have Mexicans :cool2::cool2::cool2:

topsites
04-26-2011, 09:15 PM
You need to find people who are actively looking for work.

cuttin-to-the-Max
04-26-2011, 09:15 PM
Been there done that , sorry guys. Now we have Mexicans :cool2::cool2::cool2:

So do I! But thats the problem! lol They are so sketchy! Thats why i need some more.

IRRITECH
04-26-2011, 09:34 PM
So do I! But thats the problem! lol They are so sketchy! Thats why i need some more.

Ouch!! If your amigos are sketchy then you are screwed. :confused:

BradLewisLawnCare
04-26-2011, 09:49 PM
My mother is dating a guy from latin america and I have zero mexico/or south people on my crew. I could have the works, but it doesn't fit my niche. My customers want americans I suppose.

grass-scapes
04-26-2011, 09:57 PM
There is another thread about employees on here right now.

This year is the most difficult for finding employees. Heaven forbid you require them to show up on time every day. I've been labeled a tyrant many times by responders to my Craigslist ads.

So far, I have hired 6 people this year. 2 never showed up their first day. one worked 3 days, one worked a day and a half and one worked 3 weeks (he missed 4 days in that 3 weeks and was late nearly every day).

Had one start today. Ive tried the newspaper and I get many responses, but all of them similar in type of person. Not too many qualify, but most want 12 to 15 an hour. I ask for a year experience. I get them who claim to have 3 to 5 years, but then get on the job and act lost. If I put it in the paper for 5 days it costs nearly a hundred bucks and I don't get any better candidates. I am getting fewer cold calls from job seekers this year due to the fact that I pulled my yellow page ad this year.

All I can say is good luck and if you use quickbooks payroll, get the unlimited employee edition....LOL.

ed2hess
04-26-2011, 10:02 PM
/or south people on my crew..

Pray tell us what the heck that means:hammerhead:

BradLewisLawnCare
04-26-2011, 10:05 PM
well not every latino person is mexican. So people south of mexico/south american people don't have to categorized this way (but maybe it's easier to do it that way).

orlawncaresvc
04-26-2011, 11:13 PM
Im running 2 crews this year and for some reason cant find too many people...
How do you guys find workers? Im thinking my starting pay will be like 10 bucks an hr.. Thats what alot of guys are paying their workers but really pay depends on experience! Where do you post job openings?????

Come take a drive by our local Home Depot. You will find what you need and some more:cool2:

SNAPPER MAN
04-26-2011, 11:25 PM
The trick to finding good workers is to learn Spanish.
Posted via Mobile Device

Southern Pride
04-27-2011, 01:32 AM
I agree on the Mexicans if you're really serious and want a reliable crew. My problem is I can't give even 1 mexi full time work, which is what they all want. Right now I just use friends intermittently but once I have full-time work for one ill hire one.

Friends expect you to let em slack and pay extra. Most American ethnicities are lazy like all these other guys are saying and that leaves the Mexicans...
Posted via Mobile Device

Southern Pride
04-27-2011, 01:34 AM
Also any guy who stans around in a home depot parking lot at 7 am, waiting for work, has my respect.
Posted via Mobile Device

orlawncaresvc
04-27-2011, 01:43 AM
There is no problem finding people who want to work here. The Mexicans or illegals if that's what you want to call them, will work their butt off for you here. Just about everytime we swing by our local home depot we get approached by them asking if we need any extra help. Now I know there is many of you on here that will say and mention about not being legit by hiring an illegal. But at this moment here, it's being done. You got a few months of work and these guys will be there every single day and on time.
Posted via Mobile Device

tjjn06
04-27-2011, 02:03 AM
When you find please let me know what you did, here in bellefontaine ohio I cant find good help, need 3 guys have 3 good ones

I'm not far from you, and having the very same problem. Can't find "quality" workers.

Those that say they want work, disappear when you have something for them. Those that I do find are not reliable. I have two very good "quality" people that help me when I need them, but they are not available during the day.

topsites
04-27-2011, 08:31 AM
I ask for a year experience. I get them who claim to have 3 to 5 years, but then get on the job and act lost.

The part about them being lost is no act, it's for real, they are not acting,
if anything they might be pretending like they know what they are doing but
the part of them being lost is not an act.

cuttin-to-the-Max
04-27-2011, 10:12 AM
I have hired legal mexicans. I pay them and they appreciate it. They are the only ones I can get to show up at the shop at 7am on time and they work harder than almost any "american" I have had. Americans want too much money when they don't even work as hard!
Posted via Mobile Device

bobo316
04-27-2011, 03:08 PM
Ive just given up!

stop by some of your apartment complexes,i usually get descent help there .they are usually always someone around there needing jobs.