PDA

View Full Version : Weed Block Cloth

DaveWB
04-26-2011, 07:42 PM
I gave an estimate for a customer for mulch. I gave her the price, she said ok sounds great, then as I was leaving she asked if that included the weed blocking cloth. I said that was not included in my price and she said to add it on top of the price then. She already has the cloth in her beds so would I have to remove all the current mulch and cloth and then put down new stuff or should I just tell her that the stuff she has right now is good enough?

clcare2
04-26-2011, 07:56 PM
tell her taht weed cloth is a worthless rip-off. And that you don't make a habit of screwing your customers because she is going to still have to pay you for to pull weeds.

93Chevy
04-26-2011, 08:14 PM
Are there weeds in the beds now?

DaveWB
04-26-2011, 08:23 PM
Are there weeds in the beds now?

Very little but there is little to no mulch right now.

ReddensLawnCare
04-26-2011, 10:09 PM
tell her taht weed cloth is a worthless rip-off. And that you don't make a habit of screwing your customers because she is going to still have to pay you for to pull weeds.

Haha..wow..I dont know what your talking about, but I am certain it does work, if you buy the good stuff. Not that 2 bucks for 100sf crap. I put some in at a property 5 years ago and there were no weeds. When I ripped it all out last year to completely replant and redesign the bed, it was still intact. The only areas that ever gave me any trouble were where the pieces met the edge, and then it was only henbit. So before you say what you did, maybe you should try the good stuff.:hammerhead:

unkownfl
04-26-2011, 10:18 PM
Don't be a fool. Weed seeds germinate just as well in mulch and will root past that stupid weed barrier. Last time I checked weeds don't grow from below the weed barrier or from below mulch for that matter, so unless the devil is growing some weed or weeds for that matter what is the barrier going to do? Invest in sureguard not weed barrier.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
04-26-2011, 10:23 PM

You must be installing the cheap stuff then That stuff is worthless not even cloth its rubber or something

DaveWB
04-26-2011, 11:06 PM
This is what I was looking at putting in: Link (http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202043548/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053). If you were to install all 800 sq. feet about how long would you say it would take to install and should I remove the old barrier and mulch then?

Snyder's Lawn Inc
04-26-2011, 11:48 PM
This is what I was looking at putting in: Link (http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202043548/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053). If you were to install all 800 sq. feet about how long would you say it would take to install and should I remove the old barrier and mulch then?

All I install is Pro 5 weed barrier Best on the market
Cant get it at Home Depot well I never seen it in my HD store I buy from wholesaler

DaveWB
04-26-2011, 11:51 PM
All I install is Pro 5 weed barrier Best on the market
Cant get it at Home Depot well I never seen it in my HD store I buy from wholesaler

Do you know how much that costs and how much time did it take you to install it saying if you were using the whole roll? I just need a rough estimate so I know how much to add on. The price for the mulch is $750, I was thinking $1000 with the barrier? I know you can't see the beds but I just need a rough estimate of time.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
04-27-2011, 12:00 AM
Do you know how much that costs and how much time did it take you to install it saying if you were using the whole roll? I just need a rough estimate so I know how much to add on. The price for the mulch is $750, I was thinking $1000 with the barrier? I know you can't see the beds but I just need a rough estimate of time.

I say you in the ball park with stuff have to cut around thats hardest part

DaveWB
04-27-2011, 12:03 AM
I say you in the ball park with stuff have to cut around thats hardest part

Alright thank you very much.

THEGOLDPRO
04-27-2011, 12:03 AM
I wont waste my time installing that stupid weed cloth crap, its worthless and a waste of money.

Will P.C.
04-27-2011, 12:21 AM
I have never been one for using the weed cloth. A properly mulched/maintained bed should only need light monthly maint.

I hate cutting the stuff.

Is their a reason why you would need to remove the old cloth? It seems to last a very long time. A guy in my neighborhood put some down 10 years ago and he recently changed from pine straw to mulch and the cloth was in tact.

DaveWB
04-27-2011, 12:25 AM
I wont waste my time installing that stupid weed cloth crap, its worthless and a waste of money.
I guess it depends on what kind you buy. I will inform the customer of the two options and from there its up to them. If they decide to do it, it wont be a waste of time to me because I'm not doing it for free, and if they don't that is also fine with me. Would you suggest just laying the new stuff over the old?

Snyder's Lawn Inc
04-27-2011, 01:01 AM

If you are getting paid to do it Then its not waste of time if you install Pro 5
I dont do much wood mulch jobs anymore Mostly River rock
To me mulch is a waste of money has be replace each year Rock it, its done No Maintenance
Mulch is cheaper Then Rock but in 3 yrs pays for its self
Some may think I'm cutting my throat for installing rock
Customer ask for low Maintenance. Rock is way to go

Snyder's Lawn Inc
04-27-2011, 01:04 AM
I guess it depends on what kind you buy. I will inform the customer of the two options and from there its up to them. If they decide to do it, it wont be a waste of time to me because I'm not doing it for free, and if they don't that is also fine with me. Would you suggest just laying the new stuff over the old?

Sure seen done before My self i would rip old out