PDA

View Full Version : Hyrdoseed or not?

CHRIS92789
04-26-2011, 10:19 PM
Hey guys I am currently working on a property that i have graded already and i just need to decide wether or not to just do it the old fashoned way of seed and straw or just sub-contract a friend of mine who does hydro seeding? The area is around 50X25 or 1250sf. Any one have a suggestion?

wiselandscaping
04-27-2011, 12:16 AM
Sub it out and mark it up so you make a little money on the job too. 1250 sq ft is a really small area for hydroseeding so they could handle it very quickly, as opposed to seeding it the old school way. It would definitely save you considerable time too, and time is money!

Snyder's Lawn Inc
04-27-2011, 12:18 AM
From your state i say to cold to hydro seed blow straw on it

wiselandscaping
04-27-2011, 12:21 AM
From your state i say to cold to hydro seed blow straw on it

Definitely not too cold to hydroseed.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
04-27-2011, 12:34 AM
Definitely not too cold to hydroseed.

He from Pa

Way this spring is going I would straw hoping for warmer weather
Plus all rain it would wash hydro seed away Straw would hold better I like temps be 65- and higher to hydro seed

wiselandscaping
04-27-2011, 12:43 AM
He from Pa

Way this spring is going I would straw hoping for warmer weather
Plus all rain it would wash hydro seed away Straw would hold better I like temps be 65- and higher to hydro seed

He's not very far North of Central Ohio. Rain will affect seed and straw too. That's why you put a tackifier in the slurry, to keep it in place. Am I advocating spraying in the exceptionally rainy conditions we've been experiencing in the NW? Heck no lol. That being said, the person who this is getting subbed out to more than likely knows when he can spray if he does a lot of hydro work.

Also... there is no real difference in hydro and regular seed and straw when it comes to how warm it needs to be to apply it. Both include seed, mulch, starter fert, and water...

Cost per sq ft is also generally cheaper with hydroseeding. And for what it's worth, I'd put my money on a good hydro slurry staying in place over seed and straw.

CHRIS92789
04-27-2011, 01:22 AM
Thank you for all of the answers! What would be a good estimate of price for the hydro?

wiselandscaping
04-27-2011, 01:48 AM
Thank you for all of the answers! What would be a good estimate of price for the hydro?

When I sub work out, I ask for a bid from the contractor. To that I will tack on an additional percentage to their bid, and present it to the customer. Only you know your customer and your local market, so I can't tell you exactly what percentage to add on because it is different everywhere.

If you have a long standing relationship with the customer, and they are willing to pay more to have you do the work, you can add a little more.
If the customer wants a cheap job and will let anyone do it, tack on less.

You're not going to make much on this job since it is so small. The real benefit to you is the fact that you won't be spending much time dealing with it (getting supplies, renting equipment, doing the labor), and you can go do other things. I'm not sure what you are working with employee and equipment wise, though...

If you have any more questions, feel free to shoot me a PM. I would be more than happy to give you any assistance I can.

Cory

Project Manager,
Wise Landscaping
www.wiselandscapingcompany.com

CHRIS92789
04-28-2011, 08:45 AM
Thank you very much! I got the bid from the contractor and am very happy with the price! I appreciate all of the help everyone!

TurnerLawn&Landscape
04-29-2011, 12:31 AM
Are you serious? Why would you sub that job out? You can knock that out in and hour and make bank?

wiselandscaping
04-29-2011, 07:43 AM
Yes, you could make money... But by subbing it out you could save time and make money while freeing yourself up to do something more profitable. To each his own, I just wouldn't dedicate a crew to a small job when they could be out doing something that makes the company more money.

Cory
Posted via Mobile Device

wiselandscaping
04-29-2011, 07:50 AM
Not to mention less weeds and, in my experience, better germination.
Posted via Mobile Device