PDA

View Full Version : Walk behind verses Zero turn. I have a question?

blake101
04-26-2011, 09:47 PM
I have a Walk behind Turf Tracer HP 48 in cut, and I would like to have a 52 in Lazer Z Zero Turn, My question is, Is it worth the price difference, Can you do more yards with the Zero Turn and do you have less fatigue at the end of the day? I think it would be nice to be able to sit down and rest your feet while mowing. Tell me your experience.

ashgrove landscaping
04-26-2011, 09:59 PM
You will most likely be faster after you learn how to operate it efficiently. You will definitely be less fatigued at the end of the day and will also be a faster trimmer.

Darryl G
04-26-2011, 10:03 PM
Well I actually have both those machines...a 48 inch Turf Tracer and a 52 Lazer Z HP. I have a catering sulky on the Tracer. I actually use the Tracer more than the rider and can make better time on a lot of my lawns (half acre and smaller I'd say) with it due to easier maneuvering and faster turns. But for the bigger lawns and for bagging, the Lazer wins hands down. And yes, it's less tiring overall but my back like the Tracer better.

DoetschOutdoor
04-26-2011, 10:26 PM
I have a 52 ferris wb and a 48 lazer ztr and it just comes down to the yards...on the bigger accounts nothing beats sitting down and just ripping through the grass even tho my ztr is 4 inches smaller cut its still faster wide open. But on the postage size lawns its much easier to get on the walk behind and zip around the small ones. As far as fatigue, for me again it comes down to the yards. I have a few big accounts that are rough as can be and you get beat up no matter what mower your on. But head to head on the small to medium lawns, the fatigue level is equal for me when comparing ride behind to zero turn. I like having both!

phscotty
04-26-2011, 11:28 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Darryl G
04-26-2011, 11:30 PM
And that's a castering sulky I have, not a catering one, lol...Bullrider. Actually it will operate in both caster and trailering modes. I think the newer ones are single mode.

Yes, I like having both as well. For some lawns I "cut in" with the Tracer first and then get on the Z. The main thing to me that would make it hard for me to do without the Z is the rear vacuum bagger...so much better than a grass catcher! No I don't bag a lot, but when I do it's sweet.

topsites
04-27-2011, 12:13 AM
I have a Walk behind Turf Tracer HP 48 in cut, and I would like to have a 52 in Lazer Z Zero Turn, My question is, Is it worth the price difference, Can you do more yards with the Zero Turn and do you have less fatigue at the end of the day? I think it would be nice to be able to sit down and rest your feet while mowing. Tell me your experience.

No, no, no, and no.

Sorry, but much like yourself I started out with Toro Wb's and thought just like you,
every day I would dream about how nice it must be to have a Z...
Well, not every day.

But I could not have been more mistaken.

1. The Ztr can mow faster but the increase in the cost of the machine makes it more expensive to run,
I believe it actually costs so much more to run a Z that the Wb is more cost-effective on most anything under an acre.
1b. Acre+ lots are not easy to come by, every Lco with a Z is after them.

2. I am just as tired, riding a velke is just as comfortable as that seat because it's still a bumpy ride and it wears me out all the same.

3. You can NOT do every yard with it, and again it costs money to run them, the truck eats more fuel while it's on your trailer and is harder to drive plus you might want to go a little bit slower too (you almost have to, the weight alone holds my 3/4 tons 5.9L V8 Magnum back), so it is costing you time and money in ways you can't even see.

4. It's a dang status symbol, is what it is, for show and tell, to say you have one.

To me a Ztr is not a real tool in terms of what mows lawn the best for the money,
rather it's a fracking LTS Elite Super Ueber XRT loaded device that consumes
fuel at a rate just as fast as your car but in the end what do you get out of it?
Not even more respect from customers.
Not even that.

What you get is ...
You get to pay 8, 9 or 10 thousand dollars to figure out that what I told you is so.
If I could do it all over again, I am not so sure I would have bought one.

SNAPPER MAN
04-27-2011, 12:41 AM
No, no, no, and no.

Sorry, but much like yourself I started out with Toro Wb's and thought just like you,
Well, not every day.

1. The Ztr can mow faster but the increase in the cost of the machine makes it more expensive to run,
I believe it actually costs so much more to run a Z that the Wb is more cost-effective on most anything under an acre.

2. I am just as tired, riding a velke is just as comfortable as that seat because it's still a bumpy ride and it wears me out all the same.

3. You can NOT do every yard with it, and again it costs money to run them, the truck eats more fuel while it's on your trailer and is harder to drive plus you might want to go a little bit slower too (you almost have to, the weight alone holds my 3/4 tons 5.9L V8 Magnum back), so it is costing you time and money in ways you can't even see.

4. It's a dang status symbol, is what it is, for show and tell, to say you have one.

To me a Ztr is not a real tool in terms of what mows lawn the best for the money,
fuel at a rate just as fast as your car but in the end what do you get out of it?
Not even that.

What you get is ...
You get to pay 8, 9 or 10 thousand dollars to figure out that what I told you is so.

I agree 100%. Also customers that have never complained before will begin to complain how your big heavy mower is tearing up their yard. I don't care hoe good of an operator you are, a ztr is hell on a yard compared to a wb.
Posted via Mobile Device

JDiepstra
04-27-2011, 01:02 AM
Fatigue? You wimps get tired cutting grass? Get a desk job, losers!

Southern Pride
04-27-2011, 01:14 AM
This thread bring some relief. I use nothing but walk behinds actually, and I don't get very fatigued at all. I often wonder if a z would be that much better...and a few of you have answered that for me.
Posted via Mobile Device

jaybow
04-27-2011, 01:20 AM
Walk behinds leave a much nicer manicured look. I have had two exmark lazerd 52hp and 60next generation lazer. If your gonna buy a 52, just buy a 60 because the 52 rutts worse then the 60 due to narrower rear tires. It is easier on you but really hurts the lawns.
Posted via Mobile Device

street1850
04-27-2011, 09:21 AM
I feel quailified to respond here as I have owned WBs for 15 years or so. I have not run ZTRs much and they just dont seem to work well on the tight, bumpy, hillly, off camber type yards I mowed. I made good money cause the other guys didnt want get off thier nice cushy ZTRs and were above WBs.

I quit mowing about 5 years ago but still have some of my mowers 48,52,60" hydro WBs. I never owned a ZTR but used several an they just didnt work for me. I feel every business needs at least one WB in their fleet and is a good starting mower. We were on our way to eat out this past weekend and I saw a ZTR sitting in a side ditch with a guy standing there 'litterally" scratching his head and lookinh around like he was lost. I turned to the wife and said thats another reason I never bought a ZTR.

I in no way am saying they have no use. If a yard is landscaped for a ZTR you dont need a WB but if you have a ZTR and yard is not landscaped right you are gonna have a bad day and alot of weedeating.

underPSI
04-27-2011, 09:44 AM
Over the past few years I've been considering switching to a w/b when the z/t is up for replacement. I'm a solo operator and a lot of my yards are 1/2 acre or less. I have a few yards that are 1-1.5 acres and I fly on those with my Ferris IS1500Z but the smaller ones just take so much longer with the z/t because I have to go so slow when I turn to prevent tearing up the grass since it's so noticeable on a smaller yard. I really think the time savings that would be lost by making the switch to a w/b on the larger yards would be made up on the smaller yards. I also think a w/b provides a more superior cut vs. a z/t.

GMLC
04-27-2011, 09:56 AM
No, no, no, and no.

Well, not every day.

Not even that.

What you get is ...

Ditto, I run all walkbehinds. Best bang for the buck, ease of use, ease of maintenance, cut quality, best on hills etc. etc. But I will admitt I have been really thinking about standers....

gasracer
04-27-2011, 01:30 PM
I have both. 48" Ferris WB and a 52" Toro Z. Like the other ones on here I prefer to use the WB on the smaller yards. I have a 36"WB that I use on anything under 1/4 acre. The Z is great for larger stuff and using the vacuum bagger.

944own
04-27-2011, 02:08 PM
Maybe im just lazy but I have 2 z's and a wb and anything I can use a z on I will. I am a solo operator and I am on my feet enough while trimming.

DoetschOutdoor
04-27-2011, 02:24 PM
I bought my zero turn back when I first started seriously 4 years ago and really had no idea of a ztr vs a wb, I just thought itd be cool to have one:hammerhead: But now that she is long paid off, its very convenient to jump on that thing for the 2 and 3 acre accounts. And my ztr leaves just as nice a cut as the walk behind granted all things equal (blades, lawn, etc.)