PDA

View Full Version : My lawn needs help.

tazman7
04-26-2011, 11:01 PM
After being involved in the landscaping business for over 15 years and owning it myself for two years before closing the doors I finally bought my own house and now I am looking for some help with my own lawn. I was always on the landscaping and mowing crews and never ventured off into the fertilizing/weed control areas of the business even while owning it.

My house was a foreclosure and sat on the market for almost a year before we bought it. Whoever the bank had mowing this place cut it so low that everything but grass seems to be growing in it. It doesnt appear that the previous owners did much with the lawn either so I am starting from square two (skipping the round up and reseeding part)...

I already have a lot of weeds growing and lots of crabgrass to take care of. I put down Weed and Feed last week and then was going to follow up with the crabgrass control on the next round. I thought the weed and feed would be more beneficial right now since the dandelions are breeding like rabbits in my yard.

I guess my next thought to solving my weed and bare spots problem is to hit is with some 24D and then slit seed and see where I stand. I dont have in ground sprinklers and the yard is almost a half of an acre so watering might be done mainly by mother nature.

What would be your way to attack this problem??

Here are a couple of pictures take in the fall prior to purchasing. Just imagine more yellow in the lawn now if you want a more up to date picture..

Smallaxe
04-27-2011, 04:04 AM
I wouldn't put a lot of effort into growing grass on a half acre, without irrigation in this time of year... You have no shade, and you can burn up any new grass that may appear. You get rid of the weeds this summer and see from there what to overseed in the fall.
You can always do a small area with a sprinkler just to see what works...

Green Feet Lawn
04-28-2011, 09:58 PM
Start by hring a reputable fert & squirt company on a 4 or 5 step program. In the fall, slice seed the entire yard criss crossing. Next year continue the fert & squirt.

RigglePLC
04-29-2011, 09:38 AM
Crabgrass control should have been first. Hurry! It emerges when the temperatures hits about 80 degrees. In theory crabgrass has not emerged from the soil yet in Illinois...so...you have a few days to treat for crabgrass--with a pre -emergent preventative--such as Dimension (dithiopyr)--which also has some mild post-emergent effectiveness.
http://gddtracker.net/?model=10&offset=0&zip=49548

Then feed it regularly with a product high in slow-release nitrogen--50 percent of the nitrogen as slow release would be good. Skip feedings if weather is dry. Plan on additional weed control (also fert) in October. You will probably need a professional liquid weed control in mid-summer, (for clover and the summer annuals). Have a professional check for grubs and disease. And treat for grubs--either as a preventative or as needed.

Dr.NewEarth
04-30-2011, 12:26 AM
Nice looking house

mattb84
04-30-2011, 12:59 AM
Get a soil test while you wait for fall...
Posted via Mobile Device

ChiTownAmateur
04-30-2011, 02:45 PM
I can confirm that in sunny areas crabgrass has begun growing in Illinois. In the shadier areas that don't get much sun it has not yet come up there. Get it down ASAP or it will be very hard to control.

Smallaxe
05-01-2011, 07:12 PM
I can confirm that in sunny areas crabgrass has begun growing in Illinois. In the shadier areas that don't get much sun it has not yet come up there. Get it down ASAP or it will be very hard to control.

ChiTown, you got CrabGrass visible now in Illinois?!!?

We just got out first Forsythia blooms today!!! :)