PDA

View Full Version : AMSIOL in lawnboys

Diddy
04-26-2011, 11:10 PM
What do you guys think about using amsiol in lawnboy mowers, and what ratio of amsiol should i use

MOW ED
04-27-2011, 10:48 AM
I use it in mine at 100:1. Make sure you change the plug and clean the exhaust port out if they used that thick lawnboy crap in the gas. Amsoil is awesome and I use it an all of my 2 cycle stuff. If you are scared of 100:1 then mix it at 80:1 but no heavier. It works believe me.

944own
04-27-2011, 11:06 AM
Not saying anything bad about amsoil I have never used it. I just use the orange bottle stihl 2 cycle oil mixed 50:1 and have no problems.

watatrp
04-27-2011, 02:04 PM
Been using it my Lawnboys for over 10 years now. Never had a problem. My retired Lawnboy is a 2007 model and is falling apart but the engine still runs strong.

Diddy
04-28-2011, 11:20 AM
Been using it my Lawnboys for over 10 years now. Never had a problem. My retired Lawnboy is a 2007 model and is falling apart but the engine still runs strong.

What ratio do you mix it at?

Roger
04-28-2011, 09:46 PM
Your question depends upon the model of LawnBoy. The "F" engine is rock solid, but is very touchy about exhaust ports. I used 80:1 Opti-2 and Amsoil. The ports stayed clean. Anything mixed close to 32:1 (recommended for the old LB oil) was a problem. The "F" has a very long service life.

If your question is about DuraForce, it is an entirely different animal. In my experience, it is good for about 600 hours, and that is all. It is hardly a commercial engine. The problem is the bearing on the connecting rod, a needle bearing. I used different oils, and different mixes, all with the same result. I had to put in a new short block every season, as I was running my machine more than 600 hours per year. Do a search, and you can see the repair in photos -- probably about 3-4 years old by now.

The DuraForce is not known for being a good engine, both because of mechanical issues, and because the fuel mixes were so lean to meet emissions requirements. That is why it was taken off the market -- too dirty.

... a big fan of "F," but a no fan of DuraForce. All are sitting on the sideline now, taken out of service in favor of a Honda HRX217, a far superior machine in so many ways.

Diddy
04-28-2011, 10:45 PM
Your question depends upon the model of LawnBoy. The "F" engine is rock solid, but is very touchy about exhaust ports. I used 80:1 Opti-2 and Amsoil. The ports stayed clean. Anything mixed close to 32:1 (recommended for the old LB oil) was a problem. The "F" has a very long service life.

If your question is about DuraForce, it is an entirely different animal. In my experience, it is good for about 600 hours, and that is all. It is hardly a commercial engine. The problem is the bearing on the connecting rod, a needle bearing. I used different oils, and different mixes, all with the same result. I had to put in a new short block every season, as I was running my machine more than 600 hours per year. Do a search, and you can see the repair in photos -- probably about 3-4 years old by now.

The DuraForce is not known for being a good engine, both because of mechanical issues, and because the fuel mixes were so lean to meet emissions requirements. That is why it was taken off the market -- too dirty.

... a big fan of "F," but a no fan of DuraForce. All are sitting on the sideline now, taken out of service in favor of a Honda HRX217, a far superior machine in so many ways.

in your own personal experience is a 4hp f series better and more powerful than a 6.5 hp duraforce?

Roger
04-28-2011, 10:55 PM
in your own personal experience is a 4hp f series better and more powerful than a 6.5 hp duraforce?

The "F" is rated more like five, not four hp. There is no question about the DuraForce being stronger in terms of power. But, as high as it ranks on the power scale, it ranks low on the durability scale. J-U-N-K in my experience. And, I think my experiences were not unique. It is undoubtedly a great engine for consumer use, where it gets 30-50 hours of use per year. When working right, it did well. But, for the long term, it was a very poor offering to the commercial market. The problems were known to LB. In an effort to save the staggered wheel design (which is a great mower in itself), LB mounted a 4 cycle B & S for one, maybe two years. But, that model was eliminated from the product line soon, and the staggered wheel design met its demise.

Diddy
04-28-2011, 11:39 PM
The "F" is rated more like five, not four hp. There is no question about the DuraForce being stronger in terms of power. But, as high as it ranks on the power scale, it ranks low on the durability scale. J-U-N-K in my experience. And, I think my experiences were not unique. It is undoubtedly a great engine for consumer use, where it gets 30-50 hours of use per year. When working right, it did well. But, for the long term, it was a very poor offering to the commercial market. The problems were known to LB. In an effort to save the staggered wheel design (which is a great mower in itself), LB mounted a 4 cycle B & S for one, maybe two years. But, that model was eliminated from the product line soon, and the staggered wheel design met its demise.

Could i adjust the f series engine to get more power?

lawnboy dan
04-29-2011, 07:46 AM
the f has enough power to handle most comm duties if the gov is adjusted right. the dura force is just crazy powerfull but as rog says not really up to comm standards for durability.i use my duraforce lb,s for only the really tough jobs and the f,s for everyday duty