PDA

View Full Version : EFI or not?

Andy_
04-26-2011, 11:15 PM
Engine opinions please? I will be purchasing soon.

2011 Exmark Lazer Z, X-Series 60" with Suspension Seat and Mulching Kit.

Home use only, about 5 acres.

27 Kohler
29 Kohler EFI
29 Kawasaki

tacoma200
04-27-2011, 12:57 AM
I can only see efi being a good alternative if you mow commercially. And then it seems to be a mixed opinion from users. It would take hundreds of hours for the efi to pay for it's self and that's if you have no failures or repairs. Don't get me wrong I'm a big efi/dfi fan but many dealers don't feel comfortable working on them and the initial price takes a while to pay for it's self. The Kawasaki has more displacement and torque so I'll vote for the 29 Kawasaki. I think all three engine choices are fine though. The 27 feels a little weak on thick lawns. Your choice.

Andy_
04-27-2011, 01:05 AM
about how much more does the efi cost?

tacoma200
04-27-2011, 01:29 AM

I am just guessing, but I'd say $600 more than the 27 hp equivalent??? Not sure. If you have a dealer that is comfortable working on the efi it may not be a bad choice but will still take a while to pay for it's self. My dealer list the 27 at about $9,900 and the 29efi Kohler at $10,600. Your dealer may vary. Check with your dealer.

topsites
04-27-2011, 08:03 AM
You folks answering these homeowner's questions in a section of the forum that is clearly labeled
"For Business Owners ONLY" are not helping, and you may think you're being helpful but it is exactly
this type of behavior that brings on that condescending lawn "boy" treatment some so like to bestow
down upon us.
Which, that is what fires me up so good.

Excuse me but first off you are in the WRONG SECTION and second of all why
are you asking stupid questions if you haven't even researched your prices?!

What is wrong with you people?

Andy_
04-27-2011, 02:10 PM
You folks answering these homeowner's questions in a section of the forum that is clearly labeled
"For Business Owners ONLY" are not helping, and you may think you're being helpful but it is exactly
this type of behavior that brings on that condescending lawn "boy" treatment some so like to bestow
down upon us.
Which, that is what fires me up so good.

Excuse me but first off you are in the WRONG SECTION and second of all why
are you asking stupid questions if you haven't even researched your prices?!

What is wrong with you people?

I love internet tough guys....Have a good day.

Runner
04-27-2011, 03:24 PM
I have to admit... That was a bit harsh... Is everything alright, Topsites?

goose2
04-27-2011, 04:23 PM
I have owned new Walkers with EFI and non EFI. I will never buy another mower without EFI. The only way to fly in my book.:)

Richard Martin
04-27-2011, 04:23 PM
Since budget clearly isn't an issue here....

Just for the cool factor alone I'd have to buy the EFI. Just make sure the dealer is comfortable working on it. If it breaks, let him fix it.

BTW, I have a Kohler 28 EFI on my 60" Dixie. ZERO problems and starts at the first click of the key. People's eyes pop open when I tell them it's EFI. Lots'a cool factor.

Andy_
04-27-2011, 04:36 PM
I will go with the EFI. Price does matter to me, but when were talking in the 12K range, a few hundred bucks doesn't matter. I would prefer the diesel exmark but will not spend that much. I want to thank everyone for their help/opinions on my purchase.