PDA

View Full Version : Quality out does High Pricing?!?!?

FuturePilot4u
04-27-2011, 01:13 AM
I will tell a short story about a recent experience of mine to prove that quality and pride in your work gets you further than low-baling. :hammerhead:

Last year I acquired 3 subway accounts along with the owner and her daughter. We did our best and took pride in our work and had minimal complaints from the owner. The season ended and we expected to just get a note saying something along the lines of "We'll see you next year". We even sent out a very nice gift basket to the owner for Christmas.

We received a letter saying they would be taking bids on the subways and houses for all lawn and landscape for the 2011 season. We gave the same price as the previous year and did not charge extra for trimming bushes, I thought "We have got this in the back, its a great deal for her". We placed our bids and then began the waiting game.

We received a call from the owner about her decision. She stated that she had a total of 8 bids and that our bid was the 7th lowest, or the 2nd highest. I was in shock, I thought our prices where cheap and we had the job guaranteed. She then said that our work was so exceptional, good, and better than past workers that she was willing to make us a counter-offer.

She offered the same prices as we had bid, but include a free spring clean-up at each location, which would amount to only about 5 hours of free work total. We got the job at the second highest price in the bidding!

Lesson: People(some) are willing to pay for a quality job, rather than just choose the cheapest person, be loyal and make your costumer proud of their lawn, and they will be loyal to you also!

Greyst1
04-27-2011, 01:27 AM
Congrats but maybe the lowest bid was your pricing with free clean ups or something derived of that?

Don't get me wrong i would do the same thing as you but people will sometimes use you in the quoting process to maintain, drive your price down or increase service at your expense.

I think like you too but the reality is people want cheap and now. Its in our culture.

Either way congrats good job.....

Btw, your not the LCO that does the Sheetz on Applegrove n Pittsburgh are you?

Az Gardener
04-27-2011, 01:47 AM
We are consistantly the high bidder, sometimes double the other guys. If they can possibly afford us we get the job. Just bragging :waving:

Seriously though, we are not taking advantage of people we just budget enough time to take care of all the little details that keep the place looking great. Our hourly price is higher but not by much. Mostly we just spend more time at the job.

Congrats on your new contract.

Richard Martin
04-27-2011, 03:54 AM
I hate to be the pessimist here but I have to. You may have been played. How do you know you were the second highest bid? Did you see the other bids and the names of the other bidders? If they were so happy with your work to begin with why did they bother putting it out to bid and then ignoring the whole compeititive bidding process and hiring you again, at the second highest bid, anyway? Except this time they got you to throw in more free labor. It sounds like an awful complicated process to get you to throw in an additional couple of hundred bucks worth of freebies (plus the free shrub trimming you already do).

topsites
04-27-2011, 06:55 AM
The first lowest bid may have only been $5 lower.

Then again for 5 hours, if you can make ends meet, I probably would have done it, too.
Maybe :p

Raymond S.
04-27-2011, 07:03 AM
I agree with Richard. If your quality was so valued then they wouldn't have sentnit out for bid. I'm wondering (and may get slammed for this) but what nationality were these people. I bet I could take a guess.
Posted via Mobile Device

FuturePilot4u
04-27-2011, 08:36 AM
I hate to be the pessimist here but I have to. You may have been played. How do you know you were the second highest bid? Did you see the other bids and the names of the other bidders? If they were so happy with your work to begin with why did they bother putting it out to bid and then ignoring the whole compeititive bidding process and hiring you again, at the second highest bid, anyway? Except this time they got you to throw in more free labor. It sounds like an awful complicated process to get you to throw in an additional couple of hundred bucks worth of freebies (plus the free shrub trimming you already do).
We got the account in the early season last year after the previous lco went out. She had not had it bid on in several years. I assure you she didn't pull one on me, my prices are high, I do good work. There have been other jobs I gave a price on and was high so they went and got the last companies receipt and i still held the same price.
The subway lots take only 20 minutes at most, I am making nearly 2 dollars a minute. That will tell u its high besides there r so many low ballers around here, one is very large company that bids so low it makes it impossible for new people to get jobs.
Posted via Mobile Device

FuturePilot4u
04-27-2011, 08:38 AM
And 5 hoursof labor is well worth AN ENTIRE YEAR of lawn and landscape!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

WLC26
04-27-2011, 09:30 AM
I charge $3000 to do snow plowing for a small parking lot. I know i am high for price. Someone else underquote me at $1200 but the property owner said that he was very happy with my work and wasnt going to change service providers. Apparently the other guy was very surprised that they didnt go with him.

Makes me feel pretty good about the work I do.

MOW ED
04-27-2011, 09:41 AM
I will tell a short story about a recent experience of mine to prove that quality and pride in your work gets you further than low-baling. :hammerhead:

Last year I acquired 3 subway accounts along with the owner and her daughter.

Lesson: People(some) are willing to pay for a quality job, rather than just choose the cheapest person, be loyal and make your costumer proud of their lawn, and they will be loyal to you also!

Lesson II: Thats why I would tell her I get my subs at Quizno's because although they are more expensive, they are much better.

FuturePilot4u
04-27-2011, 09:46 AM
I hate quiznos
Posted via Mobile Device