PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Chevy Trucks( ugly)

lawnkid
10-03-2002, 11:01 PM
Hey, Has anyone seen the new line of 2003 Chevy Trucks. I think they arew the ugliest things ever. and a couple of them had Meyer plows on them. Talk about ugly. That's why I must be a Dodge and Ford kinda guy. I think i'd go with the Dodge 2500 before a Ford 250 though. Now if it were a dump. I would definitley go for the Ford. JMHO. Tell me what you think?

Randy J
10-04-2002, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by lawnkid
I think i'd go with the Dodge 2500 before a Ford 250 though...

Boy you are going to hear from Gravel Rat on this one. According to him, Dodge trucks aren't work trucks.
I would tend to agree with you, either the Ford 250 or the Dodge 2500 are much better looking than the new GM's, but then I haven't been a fan of GM styling since the early 70's, with exceptions of Impala SS, Camaro, and the C5 Corvette. I do prefer the Dodge, as I believe the Cummins I6 engine to be superior to the Powerstroke V8, in terms of lower RPM torque, reliability, longivity, and ease and relative low cost of performance increases. Don't get me wrong I think Ford makes a good product, especially since Dodge doesn't make a F550/650 equivilent. Brickman is a prime example of someone working the heck out of a Powerstroke with good results. But the Cummins has more main bearings than the Powerstroke, connecting rods that are approximately 1.5 times as thick, and 40% less moving parts. That gives it a considerable average life-to-overhaul expectancy over the Powerstroke.
Oh, and even though I wouldn't have one, I do believe the Duramax is a good engine also. Many people have had good success with them.
Now if we're talking gas engines, then I'm a little less Dodge biased. Although the 360 has been a proven reliable engine, it's underpowered, and uses too much fuel.
They're all good trucks, I guess it's all in what you like best.
Randy

rkbrown
10-04-2002, 10:34 AM
My wife told me that I could by a new truck last year. In fact, it will be a year ago tomorrow that I picked up my new F-250 Powerstroke. It was an end of year buy on a 2001 model. I am not brand loyal as I have owned both Chevy and Ford previously. I was relatively sure that I wanted a diesel, however. The way that I reached the decision to buy this particular make was as follows:

I drove all 3 makers trucks. First my thoughts on the Chevy. Although the ride was extremely comfortable, the price, at the time and in my area, was much more for a comparably equiped Chevy than for a Ford or Dodge. I tried both the Duramax and the 6.0 gasser. I also did not want to be a "beta tester" for the new Duramax engine. My wife also tested the truck. She is short (5'0") and did not feel comfortable with the hieght looking over steering wheel. Phonebooks on the seats, maybe ??? :)

I tried the Dodge and loved the Cummins HO with the 6 speed. Very sweet combination. When I brought it home, my wife took one look at it and said "Real crew cab or no new truck".

We tried the Ford and loved it. Great room, plenty of power. Will tow our travel trailer with ease. Wife sits high enough to be comfortable on the road when she drives it. So we wound up with a Crew Cab F-250. In addition to using it for business, it is also our preferred family vehicle when travelling. For my family and business needs, I made the right choice.

Brickman
10-04-2002, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by lawnkid
I think i'd go with the Dodge 2500 before a Ford 250 though...

As long as that Dodge was pre 2003. The new ones are just as butt ugly as the Chev.

Thanks for the compliment on my PS Randy. Amsoil will take the credit I am sure. I am not that convinced of some of their claims, but will have to wait and see. I hit 121K yesterday.

I will say it again, I agree with Gravel Rat on the Ford issue, but not on the engine. If I could have gotten a 12 Valve Cummins in my 2000 I would have thought about it long and hard when I bought it. Better fuel mileage for one thing. I have heard of guys with over 500K on the PS engine. A friend of mine has a 91 Dodge that the body is totally beat to heck, but the engine has over 300K still runs good.

I am not convinced that Dodge has the newer ones set up with the lower RPMs any more. I know you have heard about my friend that bought a 2001 a month or so after my F250. His with a 6 spd and 3.73 rear same as mine actually ran faster by the tach at 75 than mine. That is if you can trust a factory tach in either brand.

cat320
10-04-2002, 11:33 AM
hey guys if you want to tell chevy what you think of the 2003's call this number1-800-222-1020 .That is the number that iwas to call when i got a reply from a letter i sent telling them that the 2003's just SU*K .Please tell them what you think of them ,I did told them it 's making me buy a ford.

Randy J
10-04-2002, 03:25 PM
My mistake Brickman, I meant to say the peak torque is developed at a lower RPM level than the other 2 diesels. I do agree the 24 valve does run at higher RPM levels than the 12 valve did. For that reason, a lot of people that do serious hauling opt for the 4:10 rear end over the 3:54.
Hey, the good news is, with your Powerstroke having 121,000 miles on it, you've just about used it up, and you can just transplant a rebuilt 12 valve Cummins in your truck! J/K:D
As for the Amsoil, I run that completely through my truck; engine, transmission, transfer case, both front & rear differentials. My 98, with 130,000+ miles doesn't use any oil in a 10,000 mile oil change. After switching it over, I gained about 1.5 mpg. Do you run the 15W40, or the 5W30? Sure makes it start easier on cold mornings, doesn't it?
Randy

Brickman
10-04-2002, 03:47 PM
Randy I am running the 15W40 heavy duty diesel and marine oil. Yes it does make a dif on cold mornings. Actually that is the only dif I have seen. No mileage improvement or any thing. I have it every where but the trans. It was in the trans and when my clutch was acting up I drained it out of the trans to see if it would make any difference. After replacing the clutch with a heavy duty one that would handle the BIG HORSES the PS :D puts out the shifting issue went away. Now I need to get the Ams back in the trans.

You figure out how to put that 12V in my F 250 and I might have to make a trip to TX when the PS gives up a few hundred K from now. I am expecting 300K from it. The truck it self may rattle apart before that, but the engine should do it. A friend of mine that used to haul cars has a 2000 F 350 that has over 170K on it, runs good.

bubble boy
10-16-2002, 05:28 PM
i didn't like the pics i saw, but in the flesh i think they look good. classy, although i can understand why to some that would be bad. (i am a chevy guy, so take this with a grain of salt)

with the new 2500 ram, i can't see how you could lose buying any of the big three for 2003.

Swampbeast
10-22-2002, 02:44 PM
The 2003 Chevy and Dodge are the nastiest looking things out there since the Pontiac Aztek. I am so dissapointed in Chevy. They have such an awesome truck now, but its so ugly! They had a good thing going there with the 99-02 models. Now they are so ugly. I am mortified at how the Dodges look as well. My only hope is that Ford doesnt go off the deep end as well.

Randy J
10-22-2002, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Swampbeast
I am mortified at how the Dodges look as well. My only hope is that Ford doesnt go off the deep end as well.
That's funny! The Ford looks just like a Dodge. Ah, to be driving an original!
Randy

Brickman
10-22-2002, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Randy J
That's funny! The Ford looks just like a Dodge. Ah, to be driving an original!
Randy :dizzy:

Randy you need to get out more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Fords DO NOT LOOK ANY THING LIKE THE DODGE. Thankfully.

Unless you mean that they both have a windsheild, tires, doors, burn diesel, tail gates etc. Then I would agree with you they look alike, but NEVER in the styling.

Randy J
10-22-2002, 04:35 PM
"Randy you need to get out more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Fords DO NOT LOOK ANY THING LIKE THE DODGE."

That's because even though they copied Dodge's popular styling, they did a very poor job!
Randy

jsr2741
10-22-2002, 06:24 PM
While getting an estimate on some damage on my truck today I was shooting the bull with the salesman. We went out and checked out the 03 Ram diesel he had. For me I think its a kick butt looking truck and its new fuel delivery system is as quiet as the duramax. I also liked the fact Dodge has installed a 4 inch exhaust from turbo to tail pipe. I told the salesman I wished Dodge would make a full 4 door like Ford. He said Dodge did a study and decided what their design would be good enough. The dealers argued that they would lose to many commercial accounts because of this, so I guess you know who one that arguement.

However I like the fact the PSD has 4 full doors, a little more grunt than my current CTD (stock v stock) and if I wanted an automatic Fords is definitely better. But if your going to bomb your diesel the cummins is far more cheaper to do and it will handle way more Hp than the PSD.

If I was married with kids or had a crew I had to haul around I'm pretty sure I'd bought the PSD. But I'm happy with the CTD and I'm in the process of doing minor modifications.

As far as the Duramax, I've heard and read to many horror stories about it so I don't think I'd consider it no matter how it looked. Just my $.02

Steve

Brickman
10-22-2002, 08:01 PM
Randy you need to share what ever it is you are smokin.

Ford didn't copy any body on the current design. They don't even look close, dunno how you think so.

Swampbeast
10-22-2002, 10:58 PM
Randy! Lie down before you hurt yourself!
How can you say that the Ford looks anything like the new Dodge? Ack, no no no! That is blasphemy. :eek:
Hmmm, to me, I dont like quiet cars. My Dad has a Mercedes luxury sedan, and while its the car I like to take my girlfriend out in cause its so nice, I dont like it. Sure its fast, but, well, its to quite. Its to cushy. I like a to be able to hear and FEEL the POWER ripping through those monsters! Yeah!
Coincedentally, thats how I got my nickname, Swampbeast. Taking my old F-250 2 door PowerStroke 4X4 blasting through the swamps here in coastal Texas. (its just like Louisianna) That old truck was awesome, had a 10 inch lift on it, 44 inch Mud Bogger tires, full roll cage, a snorkel, a killer stero system, a Banks Turbo Charger and custom computer chip, 5 speed manuel. Oh man, I loved that old truck. There wasnt a swamp I couldnt chug through, a mud hole I wouldnt plow into. No hills or ditches it couldnt climb. Sadly, :( , I had to get rid of her. That truck was so tall and so powerful I couldnt use it for towing a trailer. It could and usually would pop wheelies when I took off. That was just to much strain on the trailer. Man, I miss ol' Swamper.
So Swamper, heres to you, :drinkup:
And Randy, ahem, quite reading that propaganda put out by Dogde freaks.

jsr2741
10-23-2002, 02:27 PM
Propaganda! Dodge freaks (I'll take that as a compliment)! Man we could go days and days with this debate. Both are good trucks, its just whatever floats your boat

It's still fun to gig each other though.

Steve

(Rather Ram it than Stroke it)

Swampbeast
10-23-2002, 03:10 PM
Yes! Its propaganda! And I am a Ford Freak. Yes.
Yeah, this is all in fun, its just fun to argue with each other! :D No harm meant to anyone, and I hope it does go on for days and days! Ha! More oportunities to nail you Dodge people! :gunsfirin He he!

jsr2741
10-25-2002, 06:37 PM
Now SB, you know that from light to light you MIGHT out run me, even with a load but when that level stretch of road starts to incline you know your goin to get passed by the Ram. ahahaha!

Steve

Swampbeast
10-25-2002, 07:15 PM
BRING IT ON!!!!!!:angry: Anytime bucko!

:) :cool:

Brickman
10-25-2002, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by jsr2741
Now SB, you know that from light to light you MIGHT out run me, even with a load but when that level stretch of road starts to incline you know your goin to get passed by the Ram. ahahaha!

Steve

Not gonna happen.

Today two trucks, one mine the other a Ram. Both loaded with 4 cars. Running pretty close, I could gain on him, and on a hill BLEW his doors OFF.

Another time, two trucks. One mine and the other a Ram. Both empty no load, no trailers. I had my cruise set at speed limit. The Ram would fly past me on the flat. But on a long hill, I would totally destroy him and I was not leaning on it. Cruise was set at the same place.
There ya go ramers, eat yo heart out. :D