View Full Version : 21" down to three choices

drman63
04-27-2011, 01:39 PM
This will be for bagging only.
1.Toro 20197 super bagger with Honda engine (160) $619.99
2.Honda HRX 217K2 HXA with Honda engine (190) $679.99
3.Snapper CP216019KWV commercial with Kawasaki FJ180V OHV $899.00
Manufacturer: Snapper Model: 7800194

Ok I have heard the snapper is the better bagger, the Honda the better mower and toro does a good job to. I want a mower that will last and baggs really well with less time dumping (better fill). Thanks for any help You can give.

And is side discharge better or rear for bagging?

twobuckss
04-27-2011, 01:48 PM
id go with the honda..bagger is so simple to get on and off..i have a cub cadet which has side chute similar to the snapper and it constantly clogs..you also have to push aside the pull start cord everytime you take the bag on and off..gets real old..im going to check today if mine is missing some type of bracket to hold it to the side..food for thought..

LawnTamer
04-27-2011, 02:10 PM
I have had four of the Toros, ranging from the $1,100 proline down and currently have a Honda HRX 217. I LOVE the Honda, it cuts better than the Toro (and I am a Toro nut), it is lighter, it mulches better, (a lot of lawns I used to bag I now don't even bother, and no one notices or cares.) The composite deck is light weight and tough as nails. After 5+ years of commercial use it is still in perfect shape. We only use a 21" where bigger equipment will not fit, this mower goes up and down stairs every week, gets pulled over landscape boulders, and all I have had to do, other than general maintenance, in 5+ years is replace the bolts which mount the handle. Cost me about $3.

On the whole, the Honda out performs every 21" Toro I have ever owned, and every Snapper I have ever used. Great mower.

drman63
04-27-2011, 03:06 PM
Thanks guys I believe the honda is the way to go from your comments. That's what I love about this forum. Real people using the equipment with professional advise.

All_Toro_4ME
04-27-2011, 03:13 PM
Yes, definately the Honda is the best choice for the models you listed. The bag is so much easier to put on and take off compared to other brands. I've used both, the honda and the proline, and prefer the honda.

lawnboy dan
04-27-2011, 06:17 PM
never ever buy a snapper as your only mower. they break all the time and give a horriable cut. mine get used for leaf cleanup ONLY

KINGMADE
04-27-2011, 07:17 PM
Don't listen to Dan, he is a constant snapper hater. I doubt he ever owned one or a decent one. I run 2 snappers and love them both. No problems out of either one yet. If that honda transmission ever goes you are out 250-350 If the snapper tranny fails you may be looking at 90 bucks in parts and a monkey could install it. I however do not like the kawa on the snapper. I too would probably look at that honda real hard at that price.

Southern Pride
04-27-2011, 08:18 PM
I agree with the others. Just go physically check out each mower and see which one has features that will suit your needs best.

My little John Deere has a killer feature, it has ONE lever that adjusted the height versus having to independently set each wheel. If one of these mowers has that, you'll love it. Another thing is to check for ease of removing the bagger on each mower. Sounds like Honda would be your best bet.

just my .02

Griffin

ed2hess
04-27-2011, 08:47 PM
Don't listen to Dan, he is a constant snapper hater. I doubt he ever owned one or a decent one. I run 2 snappers and love them both. No problems out of either one yet. If that honda transmission ever goes you are out 250-350 If the snapper tranny fails you may be looking at 90 bucks in parts and a monkey could install it. I however do not like the kawa on the snapper. I too would probably look at that honda real hard at that price.

You are right on with this advise.....a snapper with the Honda engine will be the only way I will go, I have had tooo many problems with that Kaw recoil and shear pins.

lawnboy dan
04-27-2011, 09:09 PM
on the contrary-i have 13 snappers and 10 have robin engines-its all i use from nov-march doing cleanups. i know them all to well and the drive sys is a joke! good thing its easy to repair cause somthing is ALWAYS breaking. worst cut of any mower i have ever seen also and just try bagging in the am dew or when its wet or damp after a rain. try mowing a slope and see what happens-got you on this one! snappers have their place in this biz but i would not have them as my only mowers.

SouthSide Cutter
04-27-2011, 10:22 PM

I had one and gave it away. I stated this before, handle to wide cant mow against a fence or house. Lever for trans if not engaged when turning to the right and wearing a button shirt it will get caught in your shirt some times. Mine had all the plastic on the controls tore off. Shut blocker had all the fasteners wore off, stuck out to far. And it did not cut very good compared to others. I bought it listening to others on here last year. Got so pissed at it I just gave it away.

lawnboy dan
04-28-2011, 08:04 AM
i rest my case

ralph02813
04-28-2011, 08:13 AM
drman63,
I have a 21" Ferris which is basicall the same as the Snapper but it cost 300 more it has the kawi also. I think I would go for the Toro.

drman63
04-28-2011, 09:48 AM
You guys are great! thanks for the input. I'm going to kick the tires on all 3 but I'm leaning towards the honda now..Thanks again

magilla12
04-28-2011, 10:57 AM
Another vote for the Honda here.

Merkava_4
04-28-2011, 05:29 PM
3.Snapper CP216019KWV commercial with Kawasaki FJ180V OHV $899.00

Get that one!!

KINGMADE
04-28-2011, 05:33 PM
i rest my case

Not so fast. They are so terrible at mowing you bought 10 of them. That makes sense.. Now you will tell me you bought all 10 for picking up leaves. :laugh:

lawnboy dan
04-28-2011, 07:22 PM
thats right all 13 are leaf cleanups i do a lot of leaf cleanups during the winter here in florida(well what passes for winter)the snapper makes short work of this (i have to bring 3 to make shure i can get tru the day as at least one is going to suffer a breakdown) i put up with this cause no other machine is this good at debrie cleanup. yes there is a place in the industry for snapper hi vac-but its not for cutting grass

KINGMADE
04-28-2011, 07:28 PM
thats right all 13 are leaf cleanups i do a lot of leaf cleanups during the winter here in florida(well what passes for winter)the snapper makes short work of this (i have to bring 3 to make shure i can get tru the day as at least one is going to suffer a breakdown) i put up with this cause no other machine is this good at debrie cleanup. yes there is a place in the industry for snapper hi vac-but its not for cutting grass

At the end of the day... you hate on snappers. I dont believe you own 10 as I own 2, one with a wisconsin on it and one with the new kawa and don't have any problems out of them and the cut is fantastic. How about this. Over the weekend I will post a picture of it cutting good. You post a pick of it cutting bad.

PROPERTYLAWNSERVICELLC
04-28-2011, 07:33 PM
HONDA ! Awsome cut I had mine cut 8+ inches wet powerful

Florida Gardener
04-28-2011, 07:50 PM
How come nobody mentioned Tru cut?
Posted via Mobile Device

Roger
04-28-2011, 09:39 PM
I've had a Honda HRX217 Cruise Control model for two seasons. It now has at least 1,200 service hours. Do a search with my name and Honda. I have written many posts, including a recent one about pro and con.

Mine is pretty tired, and if I needed to replace, I would not think twice about buying the exact same mower. It is a very good bagger (and as others have mentioned, easy on, easy off), best mulcher of any hand mowers I've had, the GCV190 engine has been rock solid. I've had a few repairs, but it has been used daily, and has provided service far beyond my expectations.

lawnboy dan
04-29-2011, 07:55 AM
i have so many as i good great deals on them-usually for around 100$ ea. i could not pass up getting any mower with a wis robin engine. if they all had briggs -i would only have 2 or 3.

BillWil
04-29-2011, 10:18 AM
I have owned all three brands, but all were commercial models. If you are going to put over 400 hours per year on them I think you have to base your decision on how long you plan to keep them. I put over 600 hours per year on mine and keep them for 5 years, or more. The Honda commercial is a good cut and a good bagger, OK mulcher, it is heavy, about 125 pounds, and will require minimal clean out when cutting wet grass. The Toro is solid, will cut well, bags OK, OK on wet grass, mulches fine, as heavy as the Honda, and will be both easier and cheaper to maintain and repair than the Honda. The Snapper will last longest, requires annual maintaince, doesn't bag wet grass well (clogs the chute), I like the cut, and is easy to get parts and easy to work on. I like the drive system, but that is me. And, important to me, about 20 punds lighter than the other two.

KINGMADE
04-29-2011, 09:26 PM
I have owned all three brands, but all were commercial models. If you are going to put over 400 hours per year on them I think you have to base your decision on how long you plan to keep them. I put over 600 hours per year on mine and keep them for 5 years, or more. The Honda commercial is a good cut and a good bagger, OK mulcher, it is heavy, about 125 pounds, and will require minimal clean out when cutting wet grass. The Toro is solid, will cut well, bags OK, OK on wet grass, mulches fine, as heavy as the Honda, and will be both easier and cheaper to maintain and repair than the Honda. The Snapper will last longest, requires annual maintaince, doesn't bag wet grass well (clogs the chute), I like the cut, and is easy to get parts and easy to work on. I like the drive system, but that is me. And, important to me, about 20 punds lighter than the other two.

I didnt know the honda's were that heavy. I feel like my snapper will break my back at 95 lbs.