PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestion on Rail light

Lite4
04-27-2011, 12:45 PM
Hey Guys,

I am looking for the best rail light (under cap light) that accepts a bi-pin LED. It needs to have plenty of room and a good reflector for the LED which is obviously fatter than a T-3 or T-4. I have looked at going with kichlers product for the rail light, but I have 40 going into masonry walls and replacing the whole fixture at the end of the fixture lifespan (1yr or up to 15yrs- who knows?!?) is not an option. So I need a good rail and bi-pin LED. Has anyone tried retrofit LEDs in Unique, CAST or Vistas rail lights? Who has the best fit?

Which is the best LED lamp to install for this application. The full round barrel bi-pin or the One sided bi-pin?

Thanks guys, Im trying to jump into LED retrofits a bit more.

jlouki01
04-27-2011, 01:24 PM
We just used the Kichler 15745 fixture on a job ( they didn't like the LED so we canned them ) but the fixture is modular as in you can remove just the light strip without removing the hard scape plate to replace it in the future if it burns out.

My application was for under some deck railing but the fixture is designed for hard scapes.

I personally think the Kichler LED has the best color. It's still pretty white but compared to the other options.

emby
04-27-2011, 04:38 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Lite4
04-27-2011, 04:40 PM
We just used the Kichler 15745 fixture on a job ( they didn't like the LED so we canned them ) but the fixture is modular as in you can remove just the light strip without removing the hard scape plate to replace it in the future if it burns out.

My application was for under some deck railing but the fixture is designed for hard scapes.

I personally think the Kichler LED has the best color. It's still pretty white but compared to the other options.

I knew you could remove the plate but what about the wiring? That goes back through the wall also. Are those made to 'unplug' from the wiring so you can replace them like a module? It wouldn't do to have to cut and splice wire, there is not enough sticking through to splice and it would defeat the purpose.

emby
04-27-2011, 04:40 PM
Allumicare's new19mil will fit Unique Vanguards.
Posted via Mobile Device

jlouki01
04-27-2011, 07:17 PM
I have one in my trailer. I'm going out in a minute to see if you can tear one apart.. Thats a good point about the wiring. I'm wondering the light strip can be replaced?

indylights
04-27-2011, 08:42 PM
Tim,

I have used the Cast engineered wall light in similar situations on the halogen side. The only draw back to your scenario is that you would need a T3wedge based led lamp and not a bi-pin. If that is an option, I think with the reflective surface they have on the inside of their fixture it gives about the brightest, smoothest spread of any of the under cap lights I have used, and re-lamping them is very easy. I know a few manus who make the T3 led, but have never used any in the field. If you have to use a bi-pin, I unfortunately don't have any ideas for you. Good luck.

Scott Maloney
Sunflower Landscapes

Illumicare
04-27-2011, 09:14 PM
Allumicare's new19mil will fit Unique Vanguards.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks for the referral Ken. BTW it is Illumicare. :)

Hey Guys,

Which is the best LED lamp to install for this application. The full round barrel bi-pin or the One sided bi-pin?

Thanks guys, Im trying to jump into LED retrofits a bit more.

Tim, when you have your fixture choices narrowed down a bit, please feel free to send me the details and I will be happy to recommend the best fit and best performing LED lamp for the fixtures. james@illumicaregroup.com

Keep in mind that we offer G4 BiPin in both directional (flat) and omni-directional formats. We also offer T5 wedge omnidirectional LED lamps.

http://www.illumicaregroup.com/products/led-lamps/

Lite4
04-27-2011, 10:10 PM
Thanks Scott and James. I don't really have a preference as far as either wedge or bi-pin. I am just looking at what is the best marriage of the two to get the best light profile.

James, I don't really have a preference as to which fixture yet. I am hoping someone (like Scott) has used the two in combination before and can give me their feedback on their results. I will order from you once I get enough feedback to make an informed decision.
Posted via Mobile Device