PDA

View Full Version : Tree Problem

tbrom
04-27-2011, 02:00 PM
I have about a 15 foot Mexican White Oak tree with a 5 inch base that I planted 2 years ago. The tree is doing well except for the problems of moles digging tunnels all around the tree. The tree's roots have a hard time taking root and whenever it is windy, which is every day, the leaves push the tree in that direction so it moves. I have it staked off but I think that you cannot leave it staked for a long time. I have tried a lot of things to get rid of the moles but the huge pasture next to me is their breeding ground so there are tunnels all over the yard and landscape. What is the best thing to do for the tree and how long can it be tied down before I am doing more damage than good? Thanks for the input!

Smallaxe
04-27-2011, 04:24 PM
Put 1/4" fencing around the rootzone of the tree and keep those critters out of there... No other solution than to kill or prevent the problem at its source...

Dr.NewEarth
04-27-2011, 08:32 PM
I'm not sure if this is your property or a clients?

You have been doing the right thing for the tree.

Moles tell us that our sod is probably healthy.

We used to soak the ground with diazinon. That would kill off all of the microbes and worms and things that the moles are after. I do not know if your local supplier can
offer advice on what is available to use.

The pesticide had to be reapplied annually.

We have no options such as this where I am any-more.

If you have grubs, you can use nematodes. They are non-toxic, but then the
worms and what not are still going to be there.

The guys that get paid to take care of mole problems seem to have success using
those spring loaded metal traps that are put into the hole.

Foggers would only have temporary control.

You can put some-thing stinky down there. I have been told to use Rigley's spearmint
and some-one else said juicyfruit...

My cat used to catch moles and rats and bring them into the house using the cat door.
That has been removed. He thought we were on the Catch and Release Program inside.