PDA

View Full Version : New Homeowner

maverick323
04-27-2011, 02:09 PM
Hello everyone, I recently purchased my first home and so for the first time will have to maintain my lawn. However my goal is to do it manually no gas equipment. I like to wrk early so aside from the environmental, noise is a reason fopr my decision.

My question is what equipmet would be needed when maintaining a lawn manually? I figure I will need a reel mower, rake, broom, and edger (would a rotary edger be better than a half moon edger?) Is there anything else that would be needed?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

ChiTownAmateur
04-27-2011, 06:11 PM
Your list looks fine. You can also look into an electric mower if you prefer over the reel mowers. I have both, the reel mowers are cool but sometimes have difficulty cutting everything in one pass. If you buy an electric mower go cordless. If you want to be the quiet guy than buy a good pair of clippers and manually edge...or buy a cordless electric if you prefer.

Where you are located will help give tips as the different types of grass and environment do make a difference (i.e. reel mowers are ideal for certain types of grass versus others)

Dr.NewEarth
04-27-2011, 08:52 PM
Reel mowers are alot of work. I would reconsider if the lawn is large.

Also, reel mowers are set close to the ground. You have to cut more often.
I've had British people tell me they used to cut three and fohr times puhr week
(that's my accent)

We used them on the golf greens and those had to be cut daily.

As for the edger, it would depend on how deep the turf is next to your walkways.
Is it growing over, is it higher than the sidewalk?
Do you want to edge the garden?

I would get a half moon and an edger. They aren't expensive

Electric mowers are pretty quiet. Goats make too much noise.

rlitman
04-28-2011, 04:13 PM
Where do you live? I have tall fescue grass, and a reel mower just won't cut it.
I hear they're great with Bermuda grass.
How smooth/flat is your lawn? Pushing a reel mower in my yard is almost impossible, because it's so bumpy (forgetting the fact that you go right past the grass without cutting).
Electric (and cordless) mowers are really quiet, and ok for smaller yards.

Oh, while I wear hearing protection with all my other tools, I don't bother to with my Stihl BR500 backpack blower. It's probably no louder than raking.

I would get a half moon and an edger. They aren't expensive

Especially when you shop at garage sales like me. It seems that most people who have those, are looking to get rid of them cheap though. Wonder why?

maverick323
04-29-2011, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the respones, I am located in Southern California.

Will P.C.
04-29-2011, 03:01 PM
First thing is to evaluate your yard. It needs to be pool table smooth to use a reel and a manual reel at that.