PDA

View Full Version : Patio paver estimating help

Akprocter
04-27-2011, 04:21 PM
I am looking for some advice about estimating patio paver construction. I am fairly new to the bidding process for this type of work. I am figuring around $4.00 sq ft for the materials (using Belgard Cambridge cobbles @ 1.75 Sq Ft). I am just not sure how to bid the prep and install portion. One of my suppliers said he heard that $10-12 per sq ft (total of $14-16 sq ft total w/ materials) was the going rate, but that seems a bit high to me. Any advice in this area would be extremely helpful. I would like to get the job but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot either.

Dr.NewEarth
04-27-2011, 09:05 PM
Does your supplier have a competitor and can you check their prices?

Did you try looking here in the hardscape forum?

They can grumble a bit when you go in there, but they're harmless.
And good information....they're full of it.

lukemelo216
04-28-2011, 01:25 AM
dont bid by the square foot. And I will tell you why. Type equipment photos into the search bar, and do the titles only. Look at ETWmans thread. Hes got a project going on doing a paver patio on a roof where materials need to be craned in etc etc. By the looks of it Id say the patio is in the 1000-1500 range. You need to sit down look at the job, what it requires, and then bid it from there. Because 1 job might be extremely difficult to access with machines, require a lot of cutting, lots of hand work, etc which might turn your sqft price into $20-25 or one where you have very few cuts, lots of space for machines, etc and could be at $12/sqft.

Akprocter
04-28-2011, 09:49 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I have been bidding my jobs to this point on an individual basis and it seems to work (for the most part). I always consider the accessibility and degree of difficulty of the job. I guess what I am looking for is a solid baseline as a launching point for my estimates. I haven't done many patios so I am not as good at looking at a job and estimating the time it takes to complete one so I figured if I had an idea of the average cost of installation I could get a better idea of what I should charge to be competitive and not lose my shirt.

nepatsfan
04-28-2011, 10:02 PM
you seem to be in the range in my area but there are tons of factors.

lukemelo216
04-28-2011, 11:38 PM
its just simply to tough to come up with a base price on pavers. Each type of stone will run a different price. Even if your using unilock, one product line will run $2.40/sf and the other will run $4.00 per sqft. You need to just bid each job as it comes like you have. But if you have dont patios you should have a general idea on time, and be able to bid those jobs some what accurate.