PDA

View Full Version : Exmark/Toro Parker unitized pumps motors

tacoma200
04-27-2011, 05:51 PM
Well I'm always slow to change but Exmark/Toro have had these units in the field long enough to get a good idea of how reliable the new Parker unitized pumps and motors will probably be. After John Deere had problems in the early versions of the unitized pumps and motors I got kind of a wait and see attitude.
So
1. Give me your thoughts on the Parker unitized units after using them for an extended period of time.
2. Are they reliable? Have you had any problems and if so what kind of problems.
3. Will you buy again? etc.

LawnCareNoobie
04-29-2011, 09:44 PM
Well I'm always slow to change but Exmark/Toro have had these units in the field long enough to get a good idea of how reliable the new Parker unitized pumps and motors will probably be. After John Deere had problems in the early versions of the unitized pumps and motors I got kind of a wait and see attitude.
So
1. Give me your thoughts on the Parker unitized units after using them for an extended period of time.
2. Are they reliable? Have you had any problems and if so what kind of problems.
3. Will you buy again? etc.

I used a new Exmark with those pumps for the whole summer last year and they are a lot smoother than the JD 800's. They must of made a few tweaks or something. They were pretty good I thought. Maybe it's just me but they seem to make a bit more noise. No big deal.

As far as reliability, I'm not sure. They were fine with daily use but again it was a new mower with low hours. Time will tell when it nears 1k hours and more. They have fans to help keep them cool so that's a plus.

I didn't purchase this mower, It was the company's I worked for. I'm personally stuck with Deere for now. I would have to drive a good 20-30 minutes to the nearest Exmark dealer compared to 10 minutes to the Deere dealer, and I'm perfectly fine with my JD's (700 series). The Exmark would be something I would buy though.

It's very good on hills. Seems to have good traction. It's obvious that they worked on lowering the center of gravity. Things like the engine being turned sideways to allow it to be closer to the wheels (I assume) and the fuel tank now runs under the seat instead of above the tires. Stuff you may already know.

The only problem with the mower was the battery. From time to time it needed to be jump started. Not sure on the details there. Kohler EFI engine was nice and it had plenty of power. It was 27 or 29 hp can't remember.

Good experience overall.

ProStreetCamaro
04-29-2011, 10:49 PM
I would like to know also. I have never even tried one yet but I do like the idea behind them. No hoses to leak or blow out, no cross contamination in case of a failure, they can be mounted low to help lower the center of gravity and they are easy to service. Sounds like a win win as long as they prove to be durable.

grassman177
04-29-2011, 11:33 PM
we have about 600hrs on one toro with this unitized parker system and no issues at all. seems good to me

djagusch
04-30-2011, 01:54 AM
Anybody with real hrs on them? 2000 plus hrs? Everything under 1k hrs shouldn't have any issues.
Posted via Mobile Device

tacoma200
04-30-2011, 02:25 AM
I would like to know also. I have never even tried one yet but I do like the idea behind them. No hoses to leak or blow out, no cross contamination in case of a failure, they can be mounted low to help lower the center of gravity and they are easy to service. Sounds like a win win as long as they prove to be durable.

You should at least demo one. It's hard to describe how smooth the hydro's are. The New Lazers turn as smoothly as anything I have ever used. I agree about the hose and cross contamination not being an issue with these. I guess the fact that I have heard of few issues from Exmark/Toro and they have a 3 yr warranty must mean things are going well.

pugs
04-30-2011, 12:40 PM
They are actually not unitized. You can replace a pump or motor separately on them. Its basically a pump and motor mounted together with passages that line up for the flow of oil instead of using hoses. You can test the pumps just like normal Hydro Gear pumps. There are adapters to use the same flow meter on them.

MJB
04-30-2011, 01:08 PM
I think it's a good change only time well tell us about durability. Maybe this is where the industry is going if successful. You have the new ZT5400 unitized pump and wheel motors, being used by Scag and BB. Looks like Exmark version has more cooling fins than the ZT5400 either way I like the changes especially if we can get 3500 hrs roughly before problems.