PDA

View Full Version : Sod

Matt Hermann
04-27-2011, 07:47 PM
I need to give out 2 quotes on sod tomorrow. What do you guys charge to install sod?

I did a job or two last year, but never really got into it.

Thanks for the help,
Matt

Smallaxe
04-28-2011, 08:38 AM
Charge enough to cover your estimated time... If you under bid you learn better next time... the biggest problem with a 'bid' is agreeing on "Services Provided" I Make sure they know they are going to pay me to come back and tweek the job, i.e. roll then set irrigation...

Dr.NewEarth
04-28-2011, 01:23 PM
Most of us are having a very wet Spring. It will be more work to lay sod right now and also you could get really muddy. Is it worth adding an hour of clean-up time?

Thinking about it, not just your clothes, but the clients walkways and driveway will need to be cleaned up too.

I don't really have an hourly or per foot cost for sod. Every job is different

I measure and cost out the product, I know my labour costs and overhead/return on investment etc., and figure out how long it will take to prep the soil, fix the pH and spread starter fertilizer, add the delivery cost, add the lime cost or whatever you use there to correct your pH, add the fertilizer cost or any other ammendments you require. Do you want to use a roller on the turf? If you don't own one, there is the cost of rental, pick-up time and return time too.

Do you require a soil test or can you eyeball the problems to fix them?

Think about where the sod or your truck will be parked or delivered to. Will that spot be made available to you on the day of service? If you have to park farther away from where you thought your heavy supplies were going to be put, how much more time will it take to move the sod?

Make it clear with the client and on your contract, that x spot is to be made available so the job can be performed effectively.

Otherwise, you get some joker parking his car on the driveway while he leaves for the day and you're left losing time and money.